Status: For the writing contest "You Make Me Feel Alive" also this was oridinally posted on theblackparade.net

If I Die Young

chapter 2

I walked towards my dorm with my hands shoved deep down into my camouflage cargo pants. My head was down.
Well, first off let me get a few things straight. I am an Army Brat, I've moved with my parents from base to base. My dad is the only one in the Army, he met my mom while he was stationed in Spain, and while she was backpacking through Europe. They met up a few time after that, and they fell in love after a while. Well you can guess the rest. My dad has been station here in New Jersey for a couple of years now. He's on his way to moving up a rank to Lieutenant-General.
While growing up my family has moved about five time. I was actually born in Montana, my younger brother Mikey, well he was born in England. My dad has been station here two out of those five hands, so when we did show up I was already pretty familiar with the base. Not that I shouldn't be, they are all pretty much arranged the same.
It's cool to travel and meet new people and all, but after a while it does get tiring. You see, they expect from you the same amount of precision and conduct they expect from a cadet, and when, yes when it's frowned upon not to join if you are male, you become a cadet they expect an even higher level of cooperation and obedience. They have a way higher level of standards if at least one of your parents were in the military. Being in the military for me would be hard, you have to basically become an emotionless detached automaton, especially during a battle. For me, that would be hard, I am a very empathetic person
The downside to all this travelling and being a basic Army Brat is you have to be ready to get the hell out at any given moment, you have to be neat and tidy, which for me is hard, I like chaotic neatness, you also have to learn how to say goodbye, and that is really hard. I hate goodbyes, because I know that there's a ten to one chance that I will never see them again.
Well as I walked towards my dorm I kicked at the ground, not really paying attention to where I was going, and of course, as I got near the dorms I collided into someone.

"Sorry," I mumble and heard the guy I collided into also say at the same time. I didn't recognize the voice so I looked up.

"You're new here, aren't you?" I asked, interested because there hasn't been anyone new here for a couple of months now.

""Yeah, well newish. I was actually born here at the base." he gave this huge cheesy smile, "I'm going to eat, do you wanna join?" He asked, he was really cute and I was tempted to say yes.

"I can't, I have to join my parents." I said sadly, he then turned and started to walk off "Wait!" I called and jogged towards him

"Yeah," he said, and turned around to face me.

"What's your name?" I asked smiling, he was adorable.

He let out an angelic laugh, "I'm Frank," he smiled, and held out his hand.

"Gerard," I smiled, and grabbed his hand shaking it. I was sorely tempted to kiss him, probably a poor choice right now.

"Gerard, I like that name." He gave me this brilliant smile and hugged me.

I hugged back, closing my eyes and enjoying it, "You would, unless you were the one to have the name."

"Isn't that always how it is?" He asked as he let me go and I followed suit.

"Probably," I said, acting sort of like a smart-ass

"Frank!" I heard a voice call

"Well, that's my cue, it was nice meeting you Gerard." He said, and turned on his heel, walking towards where the voice came from

"You too Frank," I called towards him.

I was going to be happy for the rest of the day, I just knew it. Frank seemed like a cool kid. I went into the dorm and saw the bed in the corner that Frank had obviously chosen to occupy. The smile on my face grew on my face as I realized that it was right next to mine. I changed getting ready for dinner. Mikey came in, covered in mud from head to toe, but looking like he just had the time of his life.

"Hey Mikesters. You better hurry up and shower," I told him. He nodded and went into the bathroom.

I just started laughing when I noticed the trail of mud that he had left behind. It was like he was attempting to get us in trouble. I finished putting on my dress shoes and grabbed a cloth from right inside the bathroom door. I got down and started cleaning. I then threw the cloth into the laundry hamper in the corner of the room. I dusted off my pants and looked into a mirror making sure my appearance was appropriate. I quickly ran the comb through my hair and waited for Mikey, who was definitely going to make us late.
The reason we are dressing up for dinner is because my parents abide by that old rule that you should dress appropriately for a meal. That means for men and suit and tie, and women, a modest dress.

"Mikey, hurry up!" I called towards the bathroom, he sure as hell was taking his sweet time. "Don't make me go in there and wash you myself."

"Okay, okay" he called back. About a minute later he came out and quickly dressed and we went to dinner.