Not Much Goes On In Minnesota

Remember Me?

Adrienne Nesser sat up groggily. She'd been having an extremely odd dream; something about grasshoppers and popcorn. Glancing over her shoulder, she read the time- 5:30 a.m.. She let out a groan and flopped back into her pillow. Closing her eyes tightly, she went over the classes she had that day- 20th Century Lit, Indigenous Peoples Studies. God, she hated that one. Her thoughts were interrupted when she noticed a warmth radiating from next to her. She frowned, trying to figure out which of her roommate's cats had broken into her room, but she was startled into a sitting position when the source of heat let out a sigh. She flipped over and pulled the chain to her bedside lamp. At first she was terrified to see a human form laying in her bed and dreaded which roommate had gotten her drunk the night before. She loved those roommates to death, but she was the only girl, and she knew things could get out of hand when booze was introduced. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and prepared herself for the worst.
"Hey," she said shaking the dark haired form. Then she remembered.
"Billie Joe?" she laughed.
He cracked an eye open and rolled over.
"Yup?" he said sitting up.
"Nothing, I guess. You just startled me."
Billie Joe squinted at her sleepily. "Why?"
"I don't know. I guess I just forgot you were here."
"Oh, that makes me feel loved all over."
She looked at him sympathetically and kissed him on his forehead.
***
The day before, she had just pulled up to the house when she saw him sitting o the steps looking tired and lost. She hadn't seen him in forever and, even though they talked on the phone almost daily, she'd missed him tremendously.
"Hey, stranger!" she said jumping out of the car.
"Adrienne!" he said running to her and throwing his arms around her neck. " Oh, God, I missed seeing you so fuckin' much!" His eyes were wide with excitement.
"I thought you said you cut your hair," she said, running her hand through his shoulder-length curly hair.
"Yeah, I never really got around to that," he said looking around suspiciously, before dissolving into laughter.
"I had no idea you were coming," Adrienne said, taking out her house key and opening the door. "In fact, I called yesterday and Mike said he didn't know where you were."
"He always says that though, doesn't he?" Billie Joe picked up his bag and followed her inside.
"No, he always says you're drunk," she laughed.
"Oh, that's right." he smiled. "Can I put this..."
"Uh, yeah, here, let's put it in my room."

They went down a short hallway and turned into a tiny dark room that was filled by a full-sized bed and a small chest of drawers.
"Just dump it anywhere," Adrienne said, motioning to the bed. He placed it on the bed and turned to leave, but accidental forced Adrienne up against the wall.
"Room's small, huh?" he said, leaning into her.
"Mm, hmm," she said pulling him down to her. She kissed him softly on the lips, chin and nose.
"Fuck, I missed you," he said kissing her back, only harder this time. He pushed her onto her bed and giggling, she unhooked his belt. He slid her t-shirt over her head and kissed up her stomach while unbuttoning her jeans.
"Hey, Adrienne!" a call came from the front of the house. "Hey! We're going to the bookstore to get some crap. Wanna come? Hey?"
Adrienne pushed Billie Joe off of her and shouted "Hang on!"
"Roommate?" Billie said pulling on his pants shakily.
"Yeah. I'm so sorry about this. Let me go talk to them. '" she said putting her shirt back on and heading out the door.
"We'll finish this later!" Billie called after her.