Not Much Goes On In Minnesota

No Kodak Moments, Please.

"Hey," Adrienne said returning to her room. Billie Joe ws across the room, looking at a corkboard on the wall. Pointing to a CD booklet pinned to it, he said, "Hey, it's me."
Adrienne laughed, hugging him from behind. "I've gotta run to the store while those losers go on campus. We don't have anything to eat here. Wanna come?"
"Uh," Billie turned around so they were facing each other. "Actually, I'm totally wiped out from the bus. Cross-country Greyhound rides suck, you know."
Smiling, Adrienne pushed his hair behind his ear. "You wanna sleep here for a while sweetie?"
His nod came almost as a reflex to her tone of voice. She knew what type of voice would make him respond in certain ways, and used this to her full advantage. He wrapped his arms around her waist and laid his head on her shoulder. She smiled.
"Okay. Go ahead and sleep here," she moved him over to the bed. "And I'll be back."
He was more tired than he'd thought. Curled up under the blankets, he closed his eyes and fell asleep immediately. Adrienne sat on the edge of the bed and stroked his cheek gently. She leaned over and kissed his forehead before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. Entering the living room area looking for her purse, she encountered her roommates lounging on the floor.
"I thought you guys were going to the bookstore," she said, eyeing them.
"Who's the dude?" Kyle, the token blonde of the group asked her.
"Yeah, what gives, Adrienne?" Paul, a broody journalism major said, pulling her leg to make her sit with them. She sat on the couch, but was yanked down on the floor.
"I really don't get why you're so upset. I mean, that dude, as you put it, is just Billie Joe, the guy who I talk to on the phone all the time. Besides, what business of yours is it?" she said, her anger rising.
"Look, Adrienne," Jeff, an art history major said hoping to calm everyone down. "We're not mad, or upset, or anything like that. We're just looking out for you. You know we're protective of you.
"Which is so lame," Adrienne said, pulling herself up onto the couch. "What, do you think you're going to follow me for the rest of my life?"
"Well, I was planning on it," Kyle smiled up at her. Adrienne shuddered.
"You are getting way to Kodak moment-y. It's seriously giving me the willies. Shut up."
"Sorry." The group realize their creepiness factor.
"Why are you so protective? Don't you trust me to have good judgment?"
"Well, first off, you're trying to date a guy long-distance, which never works out," Ben the last roommate who was a third time sophomore, said.
"He's my friend. I don't know if we could be considered a couple."
"You talk, like, all the time on the phone," Jeff said.
"Yeah, but," Adrienne started but was cut off by stares They all didn't believe her and she knew it. She definitely loved Billie Joe and had since the third phone conversation on. And she was almost certain he loved her back. It was just the distance. She wished she could just uproot and move to California with Billie, but she has school, work, this and that. She wanted to go further in the relationship than just talking on the phone, but that damn distance thing always popped up and ruined things.