Status: hiatus.....maybe-- =.=

Right Here Waiting

-011: A Brother's Love-

Right Here Waiting (Hitsugaya Toshiro) [011: A Brother's Love]


The next day I made Toshiro help me pay the bills while Rangiku shopped for groceries and scanned the area for hollows. It really bothered the two of them that scarcely any have showed up. Toshiro had this theory that it was connected to the Grand Fisher, and it was a bit creepy. I mean honestly, why would a big scary hollow need to go into hiding for? It didn't really make sense to me.

I glanced down at the envelope in my hand and by the picture on it, I could figure out that it was an electric bill. "Electricity. Tell me how much." I handed it over to the shorter boy, and he opened it with a grunt.

"Seventy."

I scribbled out a check in my semi-sloppy handwriting. I wrote it slowly though, making sure that everything looked normal. Sometimes my 's' would come out backwards. I think its because of my inability to read. I handed the check to him.

"Honestly Hikaru, how are you able to survive? Do you honestly need my help?"

I nodded dramatically. "Yes. Besides, with you helping I can finish faster okay?" Okay, so my excuse was a bit lame, but I didn't feel the need to tell the boy that I couldn't read very well most of the time. When I was able to read perfectly, it was a miracle. Much like Sai's letter. Now that was a miracle.

Once I signed off on the last check, I leaned back in my chair and stretched my arms into the air. "You're going to fall and crack your head open." Toshiro told me in a warning tone.

"Nah, I'll be fine." The doorbell rang and I got up. I wondered who it was. Not a lot of people had this address. In fact, no one besides school officials should have this address. I opened the door, and just as I did, I caught sight of familiar green hair.

Daiki raised his hand into the air and waved. "Hi." He gave me a goofy grin.

I raised an eyebrow. "What the hell? What are you doing here you punk?"

"I came here for my answer. I was waiting for you at school since I finally got over my nasty cold, but it seems that you were ditching school again!" His voice was joyful and I felt Toshiro come up from behind me.

"Ditching again Hikaru?" The shinigami said, as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

Daiki gave him a strange look and Toshiro glanced up at him in defiance. For once, Daiki had a sober expression on his face, but it only lasted so long. "Hiya there kid. I'm just asking your older sister here out on a date. You can run along now." Daiki leaned against the door frame, his green hair falling into his face. Out of nowhere he grabbed my hand, and I heard Toshiro mumble something in disapproval. "Well Hikaru-chan?"

I let out a sigh of defeat. "Fine, fine. I'll go. Can you leave now Kimura-kun?"

I watched as his expression turned into one filled overly with joy. "Woohoo! Did you hear that buddy?! Your sister said yes~!" He turned around, and began walking away.

I slowly closed the door, shaking my head. "He's... so weird." I commented. I sat back down on the chair and leaned back on it, balancing my weight on the back two legs of the chair.

"Hmph. He speaks to you in a much more of a friendly manner than I remember." He sounded angry to me.

I shrugged. "Not much I can do about it."

I frowned, realizing what I had gotten myself into. This meant that I had to go dress shopping soon. Crap. I'm the most pickiest shopper ever, so that automatically would take forever. And there was also the fact that Daiki thought that Toshiro was my younger brother. We don't even look alike, so that whole idea was insane. Except our eye color is pretty close, our physical appearances are quite different.

There was a box of pocky on the table, and I reached out to eat one as the door bell rang again. I rolled my eyes. It must be Daiki again. "Go answer that will you? If it's Daiki again, tell him to go home. I already answered him."

Toshiro reluctantly walked over to the door. The moment he opened the door, and let the person in, I lost my balance on the chair and fell backwards. Toshiro glanced over to where I fell, "What did I tell you?" He pointed out bluntly, as I sat up.

"Forget that," I seethed in between my teeth. "Why did you let him in?!" I pointed a accusing finger at my brother.

The person who had walked in was my very own brother -- Sai. Sai of all people. How on earth did he get my address?! My brother was only a few years older than me, but already fresh out of high school. When people would look at us, they don't usually think we're related. I mean, Sai has my mother's jet black hair, and eyes as dark as onyx, and the only thing we share is our light skin tone. It's not much.

"He said he needed to talk to you, he says its urgent." Toshiro reasoned.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the young shinigami. After getting up from the floor I strolled over to Sai. "What do you want?" I asked in a icy tone. I really didn't want any bull crap about my mother right now. I've had enough.

"I need to talk to you." He said seriously, and his eyes trailed around the room, finally settling on Toshiro. "What's a kid doing here?" My brother asked innocently.

I really didn't like him trying to get into my business. "What does it matter? Get out. I don't have anything to do with you anymore." I grabbed onto his shoulder or at least attempted to, since he was so tall. The last time I remember clearly, I reached his nose. Now, I'm not sure if I even made his shoulder. Maybe I was shrinking. But then again, four foot ten isn't very tall. I mean, I'm barely taller than Toshiro.

"Hikaru, at least hear me out." Sai braced himself, preventing me from being able to push him out the door and onto the street. I kept trying, but with no success.

"Fine." I folded my arms in front of my chest, and drummed my fingers impatiently. "But make it quick. I want you out of here pronto."

Sai glanced around and fidgeted, as if he didn't like being put on the spot all of the sudden. His jet black eyes went form the floor to me, then back to the floor. "Have a seat. . .?" He motioned towards the couches, and I went over to them.

Toshiro and I sat down on one of them, while Sai sat in the one opposite of us. I folded my legs, growing annoyed. I'm not very sure why I had such a grudge against my very own brother. Maybe its because he betrayed me so long ago. It's hard to forgive someone especially for me. According to Ayame, I was very unforgiving of people.

"So..." Sai played with his hands. "I found my check in the mailbox a while back." He looked straight at me, but I refused to keep eye contact. "You really should have kept it." He continued. I kept silent, not wanting to interrupt him so that he could hurry up and leave. "Hikaru, listen. I know mother has done a lot of things to you that are simply unforgivable. And I also know that no matter how much I try, I won't be able to fix all of the damage."

I tried to hold back my tongue, but I failed. "Yeah, well, she's not the only one."

I expected him to go on with his little speech, but it suddenly fell silent. I felt Toshiro's eyes on me, and then Sai finally spoke again. "I know." His voce was sober, and he kept his eyes on his lap. I saw that he had also begun to clench his fists in his lap. "And... I'm sorry. Really I am. I'm sorry for abandoning you like that,when you needed me the most."

My jaw clenched, and I wasn't sure how to take in the information. Sai was the person who I dumped all the blame on. Ever since the beginning. I always believed he was the reason my mother didn't love me. I truly did. When he stopped protecting me from her, I knew for sure it was because he didn't want anymore trouble with her. He wanted to save his own skin. Now he was apologizing.... was this another trick? He had lied to me before about my mother changing. I wasn't sure if I should believe him at all.

A cool hand suddenly touched me, and Toshiro took a held onto my eye sight. His touch made my body tense up, but it sent my mind at ease at the same time. It was strange. But reassuring. If Sai was just saying this to try and take me home again, I had Toshiro here to stop him.

Anyway, Sai ran his hand through his hair. "What I wrote to you in that letter, I truly meant. Hikaru, you're my little sister. Please, just let me look after you. " My brow creased, uncertainty still within me. "I was thinking if I could stay here with you... I can help out with the bills, if that's what you want. Besides, I can't help but worry when you're living out here by yourself. I'm wont ask you to come home anymore, but at least let me stay here until I know for sure that you're alright by yourself."

I opened my mouth to give him a smart ass remark, but a strange noise came from outside. "What was that?" I asked, turning to Toshiro. His brow was creased more than usual, and after muttering the word, "Matsumoto..." he got up and ran out the door. "Wait! Toshiro!" I got up from my seat, and Sai followed.

"What got into him all of the sudden?" My brother asked.

As I reached the door, I turned and faced my brother. "Stay. Here." I turned the knob. "You hear me? Don't come outside."

His face turned into a confused one. "Why? What's up?"

I rolled my eyes. "Nothing. Just listen to me for once." I got out of the house, and slammed the door before he could come out. I heard sounds of fighting, and when I turned away from the door, I saw Rangiku unconscious nearby. Toshiro's gigai was kneeling beside her, while the real Toshiro was fighting another hollow.

This one was large, larger than the others I've seen. Toshiro seemed to have his hands full, and I felt panic raise within me. Toshiro has never had this much trouble with a simple hollow before.

I didn't call out to him like an idiot, and instead ran over to Rangiku. I helped Toshiro's gigai take her inside. "It's okay. We just need to get you inside." I told her, but she didn't respond. "Take her inside, I need to go help somehow." I told his gigai, who simply nodded.

I watched the battle, overhearing their argument. "Ah, there she is." The hollow stated.

"What?!" Toshiro glanced over his shoulder at me, his eyes wide in shock. "Hikaru! Get away, he's here for you!"

It was not my turn to wear a confused look on my face.

"Where is it? Where is it little girl?" The hollow asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know what you're talking about"

"Humph." The hollow slapped Toshiro away. I gasped in shock as Toshiro went flying in a wall nearby. The hollow advanced on me, preparing to unleash an attack.

I braced myself for it. I waited, but then all of the sudden something rammed into me, and I stumbled onto the ground. The thing that had tackled me came down along with me, and landed painfully on top of me. What ever it was, it was heavy. I started to open my eyes, and I saw that it was Sai. I felt anger and another emotion bite at my insides. I didn't figure it out at the moment, but later I would find that it was worry. "Sai? You idiot, I told you to stay inside!"

He got up with a grunt as a familiar white light shinned. Toshiro had taken care of the hollow. "Yeah... But you were in trouble. I had to help you somehow."

I raised an eyebrow as Toshiro lightly tapped my shoulder. Could Sai see the hollows as well? There was only one way to make sure. "Sai, so you see anything behind me?"

He shook the snow that was covering him off. "What? No, just the street... Why?"

Okay. So Sai couldn't see Toshiro. But then how did he know that something was going to hit me? Toshiro let go of my shoulder and walked into the house. Moments later, he came out in his gigai. "What are you doing on the ground?" He asked. I was confused for a couple seconds, since he should know very well as to why we were sitting on the floor.

Then I realized that he was going to help and try cover everything up.

"Well... I thought I saw something about to hit my sister." Sai replied while standing up.

"Are you sure?" Toshiro asked as he helped me to my feet. "Matsumoto just collapsed on the walk home. A fever I think. But I don't think there was anything out here. Maybe you should get your eye sight checked out Kazama."

My brother blinked and nodded slowly. "Yeah... yeah. Maybe you're right."

I sighed and began to walk inside. "Sai , you are so lame." I held the door open with a sigh. "Hurry up and get inside before I change my mind and lock you outside."


****

Later that night, Rangiku had recovered from her little 'fever'. I was putting away the towels we had used to bring down the fake fever, when I walked by Toshiro's room. After I put them away in the cabinets, I gently knocked on the door. "Can I come in?" I asked, waiting for his response.

The door opened a few seconds later, and he ushered me inside. "I'm guessing there is something on your mind?" He asked, since it was out of the ordinary for me to come into the room I had lent him.

I nodded slowly. "Well, I just wanted to ask you about Sai. He wasn't able to see you when you were right behind me, but he still somehow knew that I was in danger." I sat down on his bed, and blew a strand of hair out of my face. "It doesn't make sense."

"I was thinking about that as well. " Toshiro leaned against the wall, and his eyes stood out in the darkness. "My best guess is that he might be able to see spirits as well, but not as clearly as you can. I think he can only see a faint outline." A small smirk came to his face, as he continued. "Or, you can believe that its just the bond you two share as siblings. "

I threw a pillow at him. "We have no bond. That was broken a long time ago."

He caught the pillow before it hit him, "Mind telling me why?"

I didn't keep my gaze on him at all. "No." I answered flatly.

"It has to do with your mother?" Toshiro just didn't want to let the subject go.

I stood up abruptly, and walked over to the door. "Just stop." I didn't want to go into this with him, not now. What was he trying to do? Sai said himself that he couldn't possibly fix the damage all this has caused me, so what makes Toshiro think he can? My brow creased. "Stop trying to put me back together." Just before I slammed the door, I gave him a small smile. "I kind of like how I am now... I don't think you would like me the way I was before."
♠ ♠ ♠
Preview of Next Chapter:
"Ayame... what about Ayame?" I asked urgently, forgetting all about Toshiro.
The woman looked up at me in mild surprise. "The Iris?"
I nodded, and her eyes wavered. What did she see? "She is the one who has died, correct?"
I nodded slightly, flinching at the word, 'died'.
"A bittersweet reunion..."
012: Snow Fall


~Hazel