Status: my first klaine fic. no idea how fast/slow updates will be, so just bear with me for now. :)

You Were Always The One

Late Nights.

It was just past midnight when Kurt’s phone began to vibrate on the bedside beside him, he frowned and put down his math book, abandoning his late night studying to pick it up, subconsciously biting down on his lip when he saw the caller ID. He pressed the phone to his ear, praying he didn’t sound as jittery as he felt.

“Kurt,” Blaine’s voice breathed happily from the other end of the line, the passing cars in the background muffling his voice slightly. “I thought you might have been sleeping…” he trailed off.

“No, I was um…” Kurt glanced down at the book in his lap, “…reading,” he replied, “Where are you?” he asked, referring to the busy background noise.

“Oh, just out,” Kurt could almost hear Blaine shrugging, he sighed inwardly, knowing exactly what he either was, or would have been doing. “So, here’s the thing, it’s sort of… past curfew, and, well they’ll kill me if I try and get into the dorms now, so I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind being a really awesome friend, and… let me stay at your place tonight?” Blaine asked, no hint of hope, begging or pleading in his voice. He already knew Kurt would say yes. Kurt knew too, he’d known the moment his phone rang, but he tried to buy himself a little time anyway, he could at least pretend to deliberate.

“Blaine, how are you planning on getting to my house, it’s the middle of the night!” he protested.

“Oh, I’m only a few blocks away,” Blaine assured him, Kurt didn’t want to think of why he was there, and who he could have been with. “Please, Kurt. I just need somewhere to crash, and I’ll be gone before your parents wake up if that’s what you’re bothered about,” he promised, Kurt sighed in defeat, although they were both well aware there was never really any battle.

“Meet me at the front door in fifteen minutes,” Kurt mumbled into the phone, trying not to sound like he was actually pleased about the idea of Blaine spending the night in his room.

“I love you, Kurt, y’know that?” Blaine replied cheerfully, Kurt simply mumbled in response, despite the fact that his heart was doing cartwheels inside his chest. “See you soon,” and Blaine was gone, and the moment the phone line went dead, Kurt’s nerves began.

This wasn’t something new to him, in fact, this was a regular occurrence. Whenever Blaine missed curfew, and didn’t have someone on the inside waiting to let him in without him being caught by staff or prefects, Blaine would go to Kurt. Every. Time. Because he was well aware that Kurt would never say no. Both Kurt and Blaine knew that Kurt valued their friendship too much, to the point where he would do anything for Blaine. Although, Kurt was never sure about just how far Blaine was willing to go for him.

*

Kurt opened the front door just as Blaine approached his front path, his hair free of it's usual gel, the thick curls looking slightly disheveled, but his clothes were still perfectly in tact, clinging wonderfully to his body. Kurt quickly caught his breath, and then realized he was stood in silk pajamas and a matching gown, and sudden wave of embarrassment washed over him. Blaine smiled as he reached him and slipped into the warm house before turning to Kurt, his eyes quickly trailing over his body.

“Nice PJs,” he smirked, Kurt felt his cheeks glowing red as he turned to close the door, becoming very thankful that the lights were out. But Blaine knew he would be blushing anyway, and chuckled as he turned for the stairs, completely at ease in the house that wasn’t even his own.

“I um… I changed the sheets for you,” Kurt mumbled, gesturing to the bed as they entered his perfectly aligned room, Kurt closing the door gently behind them. Blaine looked at the freshly made bed, and then turned to Kurt with a confused frown.

“And where are you planning to sleep?” he asked, Kurt bit his lip.

“I’ll just…” he trailed off, looking over at the small love-seat by his window. There was no way it was big enough, it wouldn’t even be big enough for Blaine – and he was a good few inches shorter than Kurt - , but where else could Kurt sleep without rising suspicion from his family? Blaine followed his gaze and shook his head.

“Don’t be stupid,” he muttered as he pulled off his shoes, dropping them by the edge of the bed before sitting down on top of the crisp sheets and shuffling towards the edge to make room, “I don’t bite,” he smirked, patting the bed beside him, Kurt hesitated for a moment, making one last glance to the love-seat before heading over to the bed and sitting beside him awkwardly. Blaine watched him for a moment before chuckling and pulling his maroon sweater over his head, and tossing it accurately on to the chair in front of Kurt’s desk, leaving him in his jeans and a fitted white t-shirt. And then something caught his eye and the boy frowned, reaching around Kurt to pick up something from his bedside.

“Reading?” Blaine asked, waving the math book in front of Kurt, who bit his lip gently. Blaine shook his head and slid the book back onto the bedside, before pushing down the covers and slipping inside, gesturing for Kurt to join him, only resulting in another hesitation. “Kurt,” Blaine insisted, and Kurt slowly pulled off his robe, and slipped in beside him, trying his best to keep a distance between them, but Blaine had other ideas, as before long, Kurt could feel his warm breath on his back, and eventually, Blaine slung his arm loosely around Kurt’s waist, something that Kurt was – inside – relishing in, but - on the outside - , he found himself squirming away. Yes, he and Blaine were best friends, but… it was always going to mean more to Kurt, and he didn’t want to be like this with Blaine if his feelings weren’t being reciprocated. He just didn’t want to hurt again.

He felt Blaine slowly lift his head to look at him. “Am I bothering you?” Blaine asked him, Kurt turned to face him, feeling a small sense of relief when he saw that Blaine had shuffled back towards the edge of the bed. “You’re not sleeping on that love-seat, Kurt,” he insisted. “I’m not having you blame me for any permanent back injuries,” he told him, making his previous statement seem ever so slightly less sweet and sincere. Kurt sighed, unable to resist him, because no matter how his words sounded, his expression still looked like that of the sweet, caring boy that Kurt had fallen for, and he slowly shuffled closer too him, Blaine’s arm resuming its previous position. “Night, Kurt,” Blaine mumbled as he shut his eyes,

“Night,” Kurt whispered back, before reaching up to flick out the bedside light.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm pretty sure this was actually the first thing I wrote for this fic....
Hope you like. :)

Oh, and there's no need to be a silent reader, - like Blaine - I don't bite either.