Status: Active

I Don't Need This Right Now

Sixteen

After dinner at Alex’s parents house Alex and Jack drive home. “Are you gonna stare at the ring the entire ride home?” Jack asks. “Probably longer than that. I can’t believe that we’re going to get married and have a baby.” Alex exclaimed. Jack was nervous about the baby. What if the baby didn’t like him? “Jack!” “What?” “I asked, what do you think we should name the baby?” Alex asks. “I don’t know. Isn’t it a little early in your pregnancy? I might change between now and when you see the baby.” “Well I don’t want to sit in the hospital for a week and not know what to name the baby.” The both of them had a point. “If it’s a girl, lets name her.. Leah.” Jack says. “That sounds like a name for a chubby girl. How about Kylie?” They pull into their driveway. “I like that one. For a boy lets name him… Luke.” Jack says as he unlocks the door and pushes it open. Right before Alex can say anything about the name Luke, he’s running towards the bathroom. “God dammit.” Jack mumbles and he walks to the bathroom. “Do you need a glass of water?” Alex nods. He stands up and flushes the toilet, rinses his mouth and goes to the kitchen for a glass of water. “Thanks. I like the name Luke. Luke Benjamin and then Kylie Rae.” Alex takes a sip and looks down at his ring finger again. “How long are you going to look at that?” Jack asks. “Until our wedding day.” “Oh Christ.” Jack says under his breath. They hear Powder’s nails scratch the wood floor and she has her toy octopus in her mouth. “Hey there.” Alex bends down and starts to play with her. “You’re going to be an amazing dad, Alex.” Jack says. “You will too, I promise you.



Alex decided to go see Zack and Rian the next day. Even though Zack is probably still upset about Alex being pregnant, they might be happy that Alex and Jack are engaged now. And he also brought Powder along. Jack was at work doing his own stuff. Alex knocks on the door to Rian’s townhouse. “Hey!” Zack answers “OhMyGod who is that.” Zack grabs the puppy out of Alex’s arms. “That’s Powder. She’s a troublemaker so be careful.” Powder nips at Zack’s fingers, but Zack didn’t mind. “Where’s Ri?” Alex asks. “At work. He’s been pretty busy lately.” Zack says without looking up. “Are you moving in with him? I mean you haven’t been at your apartment lately..” “I already moved in.” “When?” “The day before you told me you were pregnant. Ri and I were gonna tell you but you beat me to the punch with the news. Speaking of that day, I’m sorry I snapped. It’s just that it wasn’t long after my… miscarriage.” Zack looks down at Powder. “Yeah I’m sorry too. I went to Flyzik and he said that I should tell you but I knew I should’ve waited but I didn’t.” “It’s fine.” “Oh, and I have some more awesome news.” “Do you?” “Can you tell what’s different about me?” Alex asks. “You got fatter?” “Shut up. Just guess, it’ll probably take you a while to guess.” “No way.” Zack stands up and grabs Alex’s hand “He asked you? When?” “We went to go for a checkup on the baby yesterday. Then we went to my parents’ house and his parents were there too. So I just thought the they were there for dinner or something. But it was also a good time to tell them that Jack and I were having a baby. But before I could say anything, Jack tells me to stand up and he gets down on one knee and he..” Just thinking about it makes Alex smile. “Wow.. You guys.. Congratulations” Zack says. “Thank you.” They turn to the door. “Hey guys.” Rian flashes his signature pearly white smile. “Hey, I got some cool news for you Ri.” Alex holds his hand up in the air. “No way! When?” Alex repeats the story for Rian. “And who is that?” Rian picks up Powder off the ground. “That’s powder.” Rian holds powder up to his face and she licks his nose. “Ew.” Rian sets her down and wipes his nose off.

After a few hours at Rian and Zack’s, Alex gets a call. “Hello?” “Alex! Someone took Powder! Where are you?” “Powder’s with me. I’m at Rian and Zack’s. I’ll be home in a bit. Hey, you do care about Powder!” “Whatever bye.” Alex hangs up the phone and puts it in his pocket. “Gotta go. It’s mine and Powders curfew. Bye.” Rian and Zack wave bye as Alex walks out.