Status: Active

I Don't Need This Right Now

Thirty Seven

"I feel like we should have Zack over." Alex says as he carries the car seat that holds his sleeping baby. "Why?" Jack asks. "Jack, he was, and still is, my best friend. We need to catch up since he's been gone for like seven months." "I dunno if that's a good idea. Him and Rian might be talking about things between them." Jack tries to reason with Alex. "Yeah, you're right." Alex yawns. "Oh yeah Jack." "Yeah?" "We need some more stuff for Preston." "Just write a list and I'll go. You need some rest." Jack says as he puts his shoes back on. Alex writes down the things he needs and hands the list over to Jack.

While Jack was at the store picking up a few more things for Preston, his phone rings. "Yeah?" "Hey, it's Zack, can I come over for few days? Rian kicked me out." "Uh, I don't know. I'm at the store picking some stuff up for Preston and Alex is sleeping." "Preston, that's a nice name. Well then I guess I'll crash at my parents' house. Thanks anyways." "Hey, wait. Just come over, Alex wanted to talk to you anyways." "Yeah, okay cool."

Jack walks into his house. There was only silence, which meant that Alex and Preston were still sleeping. Jack decides to put up the bassinet for the living room. As he opens the box, the doorbell rings. Jack gets up from his workspace and opens the door. "Hey." Zack says. "Is Lex still sleeping?" He asks. "Yeah, it's been a long couple of days." Jack closes the door quietly. Powder starts barking "No powder, you bitch, shut the fuck up." Jack says. Preston starts crying. Jack runs upstairs "No, Jack, I got it." "No, you go back to sleep. You need it more than I do." "Thanks." Alex walks back into the room and closes the door. Jack carefully walks down the stairs with Preston in his arms. "Wow, he's.. handsome." Zack says. "Yeah, here you wanna hold him?" He hands Preston to Zack. "Lemme make a bottle, he'll probably fall asleep again." Jack walks over to the kitchen and pours some water into a bottle and adds the formula, he puts it in the microwave for a few seconds and hands it over to Zack. "Here." Zack takes the bottle from Jack and sticks it into Preston's mouth. "So, whaddya making?" Zack asks. "A bassinet. It'll be a pain running up and down stairs during his naps so Alex told me to get one and to put it down here." Jack had to admit that it was quite awkward. Him and Zack were never that close, and plus Zack was gone for such a long time they didn't really have anything to talk about. "Tilt it up higher, you don't want him to drink too much air bubbles." Jack tells Zack. Zack tilts up the bottle up higher. "Jack, babe, didn't the doorbell ring a while ago? Who was at the door?" Alex asks as he walks down the stairs. "It was Zack." Alex walks into the living room. "That's a nice bassinet. Good choice. Hey Zack, what's up?" Alex asks casually. "Weren't you like, pissed at me a few hours ago?" "Yeah, I still am. But I mean, you're here now." "Oh well yeah. So how are things?" Zack asks as he hands Alex Preston. "Oh you know, being a good dad. The usual." Alex smiles. He re-swaddles Preston. "How about you? What have you been up to?" Alex asks. "Nothing really. I know this is kinda a big favor to ask you but.." "Zack, no favor is big." "Yeah, okay, so Rian kinda kicked me out. I was kinda wondering if I could stay here for like a week or two? Just until Rian will let me come back." "Yeah, it's totally cool. I could use some extra help since Jack's at work."