She's My Kinda Girl

tie me down.

Adele stood there, hands on her hips and mouth open, staring down Alex. Her eyebrows raised, prompting him—daring him to go on.

Alex bit his lip. Of course Adele would be walking into the classroom right then. “Why are you here, Del?” he asked.

“I have my reasons. Now what the fuck did you just say?” she prompted.

Alex didn’t respond for a minute. In fact, he could feel his gut twisting and turning. And he really didn’t like it. In a sense, he had been caught. And yeah, okay, he could lie. But Adele didn’t trust him, and he had a feeling that she wouldn’t believe no matter what. So he had two options. He could either lie and hope she let it go or tell her the truth.

And Alex had never been that good with the truth.

Rian took a step back, pretending to be very, very interested in his text book. But he kept a close eye on Alex and, okay, eavesdropped. He was eavesdropping.

“I—“

You are the reason my best friend was almost killed?” she asked quietly, taking a step closer to him.

“I—“

You are the reason she couldn’t walk for almost a month?”

“I didn’t—“

“How in the hell could you look her in the eye and pretend to be her friend after what you did?!” Adele yelled.

“I didn’t mean—“

Adele scoffed. “You didn’t mean to? Oh, I’m so relieved. That makes it so much better! You’re such a good person!” she exclaimed facetiously.

Alex bit his lip. “Adele—“

“I don’t fucking care, Alex,” she told him. “You tell her by the end of the day. Or I fucking will. Got it?”

Alex did get it. But that didn’t mean that he wanted to do it. “I’ll do it today,” he found himself saying quietly. “I’m taking her home after school—“

“I don’t want her in a fucking car with you,” Adele snapped.

Alex sighed. “I’m not telling her in the middle of school. I’ll do it when I take her home,” he told her calmly.

Adele frowned. “I don’t believe you.”

“He’ll do it, Adele,” Rian said quietly, setting his book on his desk.

“Promise me.”

Alex sighed. “I promise,” he whispered, the words tasting bitter on his tongue.

+

Alex barely paid attention to his exam. All he knew was that he had to tell Devan and, well, he couldn’t really concentrate on anything else. He skipped out on his last final, deciding he really didn’t care, and he wandered to the library where he knew he could find Devan.

As he walked in, he saw her against the back wall of computers. For once, he didn’t have his confidence. He was scared—really fucking scared that she would want nothing to do with him after what he told her. And he wouldn’t be able to blame her, but he really wanted another chance.

It took him almost three times as long to walk the length of the library and sit down next to Devan. His eyes fell on her computer screen—she was checking her e-mail—and he bit his lip.

Devan glanced over at him. “Are you okay, Alex?” she asked quietly, trying not to be too loud because she knew the librarian was pretty intense.

Alex shook his head. “Skip with me.” It wasn’t a request.

Devan frowned. “I skipped last week, Alex,” she said softly. “I can’t—“

“Are you done with your exams for today?”

“Well, yeah, but—“

“Then it’s not considered skipping,” he said casually. “Please?”

Devan sighed. “Alex, what’s—“

“Let’s go so we can talk. We can just stay in the parking lot or something, I don’t know. Can you just…please?”

Devan wasn’t sure if it was the pleading in his voice or the look in his eyes, but she didn’t second guess him. With a nod, she logged off of the computer and tossed the strap of her bag over her shoulder. Picking up her crutches, she followed Alex out of the library and into the parking lot. She wasn’t surprised when he lead her over to Rian’s car. She tossed her bag on the floorboard of the passenger’s side floor and set her crutches next to her, shutting the door.

Alex climbed behind the wheel, digging Rian’s keys out of his pocket, and starting his car.

“I thought we were going to stay in the parking lot?” Devan asked as he backed out of the parking spot.

Alex let out a sigh. “I need to clear my head.”

Devan nodded slowly, pausing for a minute before replying. “Are you sure it’s a good idea to drive around when your mind is preoccupied?”

“No,” he answered quickly. “I know it’s not.”

“Then why—“

“The last time I drove without a clear mind, I did something really stupid,” he told her.

Devan nodded. “People…tend to do stupid things when they’re not in the right mind,” she said quietly.

Alex nodded before continuing to drive down the road. It was probably five, ten minutes before he spoke again. “Is your dad home?”

“Probably not. I told him I had another ride home,” Devan told him.

“We’ll go to your house,” Alex decided, making the appropriate turn before shutting up again.

Devan let out a sigh, determined to find out what was running through his mind but refusing to push him. At least, well, while he was driving. She bit her tongue until they pulled into her driveway. She unbuckled her seat belt before reaching for the door.

Alex stopped her. “Let’s. Let’s talk out here, okay?”

She nodded slowly. “Are we actually going to talk?”

“Yeah,” Alex replied quietly.

“Okay,” she said.

“My band got signed this year,” Alex told her.

Devan’s eyebrows rose. “You’re in a band?”

Alex paused. “You didn’t know that?”

“I don’t really…pay attention to anyone at school, if I’m being honest,” she said quietly.

“Well…we got signed. We’re set to record after graduation and tour in the fall.”

“That must be so exciting.”

“It’s what I’ve always wanted,” Alex said softly.

“Then why don’t you sound happy?”

Alex sighed and shook his head, looking out of the driver’s side window. “What do you want to do after high school?”

Devan shrugged. “I got into a couple of different schools with a full ride. But I don’t know if I want to go to Berkley, or if I’m going to Boston in August,” she told him.

“What’s your major?”

“Math,” she said quietly.

Alex smiled softly. “Accounting?”

She laughed. “I’m not sure. Maybe?”

“You’re gonna do great, Dev, no matter what you decide to do.”

“Thank you.” But she was actually wondering why he was being so sentimental. “Alex, what’s going on?”

“I’m nervous,” he told her quietly.

“For recording and touring? Because I have a feeling that you’ll do great.”

“Not that.”

“Okay,” Devan said softly. “Then…what?”

“You know, I’ve never had a legitimate conversation with a girl. About hopes and dreams, the future, things like that,” he said with a shrug. “About…deep, dark secrets.”

“Are you now?” she asked him.

Alex nodded.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know how to tell you, Dev. I’m…the worst person on the face of the earth,” he said decidedly.

“I highly doubt that,” Devan told him, elbowing him lightly in the side. “I mean, you’re only eighteen. What’s the worst that you could’ve done?”

“Drink underage—“

“How many teenagers don’t do that?”

“—and get involved in a hit and run?” he suggested.

Devan felt her stomach drop. And, okay, she didn’t want to jump to conclusions—she really didn’t. “I’m sure…more than you think,” she said quietly.

“Do they involve people that go to their school?”

“Alex…”

“Do they involve people becoming friends with the person they almost killed?”

“Alex, stop—“

“Do they involve people falling for the girl they almost killed?” he asked, his voice raising. “Because I dare you to find me someone else who’s done all that, someone besides me.”

Devan felt a few tears fall down her cheeks and she shook her head. “Take it back, Alex.”

“I can’t.”

“Why the fuck not?” she snapped, looking over at him as more tears fell from her eyes. She couldn’t help but be a little surprised when she saw Alex was tearing up as well.

“Because I don’t want to lie to you anymore.”

“Go back to the lying. That hurt a lot fucking less.”

“I can’t,” he said softly. “It’s all my fault, Devan. I am so sorry.”