Something I Could Hold Onto

Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me.

"Don't stop believin'!

A groan erupted from the tangled bedsheets as Frank struggled to reach the small table. Tired fingers fumbled around the sleek plastic as he pulled the cell phone nearer to his face. "Hold onto the feelin'!" It took a moment for his eyes to focus on the dim screen, ten unfamiliar digits meeting his gaze. He cleared his throat, quickly, before flipping open the phone.

"Hello?" he began, his words draped in a groggy tone.

"Are you just getting up?" came the reply, a hint of amusement laced with their words.

"Yeah," Frank said, sitting up a little straighter, "I had a late night." A smile crossed his lips slow, almost timid, manor. "Who's this?"

A laugh sounded on the other end. "It's Gee," he said sweetly. "And two isn't all that late!"

His smile grew exponentially as the other man confirmed his suspicions. "It's not early, thought," Frank said, surprising himself with his relaxed tone.

"That's true," Gerard replied. "Well get up, Pixie-boy, I'll be over there in half an hour," he said coolly, despite the spontaneity.

"Wait, wait, wait!" he said urgently, slurring his syllables into one word. "What do you mean you'll be here in half an hour?! For what?"

His grin was audible through the phone. "Well, m'friend, I woke up this morning with a craving for pancakes. Not just homemade pancakes, but some commercialized capitalist pancakes. The only place that came to mind was IHOP. Now, my brother is a stubborn motherfucker and wouldn't skip work to get breakfast with me." He paused to take a breath, his voice becoming more animated as the anecdote progressed. "So I went through my phone to find someone to wake up, when who's number should I see but yours!"

Frank laughed genuinely, a wave of amusement and flattery washing over him. "Oh, I see," he said, still giggling. "So I take it we're going to IHOP then?"

"Not just IHOP," Gerard exclaimed, "but Starbucks, too!"

"Sounds like an adventure," he teased, stretching and throwing his legs over the side of the mattress. "Do you need me to bring anything?"

Flowers? Lube?

"Nah," came the response. "I mean, unless you have some pixie dust left laying around..."

"Very funny."

A dry chuckle danced down the line. "I try. Anyway, you now have twenty-seven minutes to get ready," he said. "So go make yourself pretty and I"ll call when I'm nearby!"

Butterflies began to stir in his stomach. "All right, see you soon," he said calmly.

"Bye, Frankie!"

Click.

Excitement began to drip through Frank's veins like an IV.

Breakfast is sort of like a date... Right?

He sighed and shook his head; pancakes were hardly romantic.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title is from "Wonderwall" by Oasis.