Something I Could Hold Onto

Unkempt and overcaffeinated.

Minutes later, the two arrived in front of a quiet coffee house. Large neon letters reading "Starbucks" met the pair as they entered the doors. Frank smiled gently upon hearing the welcome bell, deeply inhaling the strong scent of coffee beans. His eyes scanned the room, taking in the aesthetics of the small shop. The walls were coated in a layer of dark orange paint, with black-framed photography hanging arbitrarily above leather armchairs and the stony mantle. A glass counter top sat casually in the corner, the barista looking as if he had suffered from a long night and one too many drinks. Behind him rows of glinting machines stood dormant, the cold sheening metal contrasting starkly with the friendly saturation of the walls.

Gerard sighed contentedly from Frank's left, a grin coloring his face with excitement. "Nothing like a steaming cup of corporate domination to start the morning, huh?"

Frank giggled, turning his head to look at the taller man. He let his eyes roam freely over the pale face, pausing briefly over his lips, before responding. "I can think of a few better things."

"Oh?" he asked, cocking his eyebrow as if he is intrigued. The grin painting his lips grew, and he ran his tongue over the widening expression. "Do tell!"

A blush rose to Frank's cheeks, delicate and almost unnoticeable, as ideas raced through his mind. "Well, showering is good," he said slowly. When you're not alone.

Gerard chuckled. "That's true," he said thoughtfully, "but I think coffee trumps that. What else ya' got?"

He smiled and tapped his chin in mock concentration. "Exercise?" he offered. Preferably under linens?

"I'm not much of a jogger, if that's what you mean."

Frank snickered, amused by both Gerard's comment and his own lustful thoughts. "We'll have to work on that."

"I guess we will," he replied sweetly. "How 'bout you grab us a table and I'll get the coffee?"

"Alright," he agreed, turning gracefully on his heel and walking towards an over-cushioned booth.

"I'll miss you!" Gerard called as the younger boy made his way to the seats.

Moments later, both men were sipping quietly at their respective drinks. Frank couldn't help but notice the peculiar mannerisms his companion assumed as he drank. His eyes would slip shut slowly, and his tongue would dart forward to meet the ceramic before his lips ever touched the mug. Gerard would then pull the cup from his mouth and purse his lips together tightly as he swallowed. His eyes fluttered open as soon as the coffee had left his throat, and usually connected with Frank's everlasting gaze.

"What?" he finally asked, a hint of a smile pulling at his lips.

"Nothing," Gerard said simply. "You're just fun to look at."

Frank blushed again, and took a careful sip of his espresso to hide the fact.

A giggle sounded from his right; a hand clapped itself down on his shoulder. "Relax, Pixie," he said, his musical voice misted with amusement. "I'm not trying to hit on you or anything."

He laughed in acknowledgment, although the gesture was forced. "I wasn't thinking that," came the lie.

Gerard smiled in a way that Frank couldn't decipher. "Whatever you say! If I was trying to pick you up though," he said, leaning closer and lowering his voice, "I could definitely come up with something better than 'you're fun to look at'."

With that, he returned to his previous position and brought the mug to his lips again as if nothing had happened.

"Good coffee, huh?"
♠ ♠ ♠
The title is from "40 Steps" by The Academy Is... .

For my update-reminders, I just got this MSN thing per request. I don't entirely know how it works, but if you'd like to add me to get on my case more easily, my screenname [if that's what it's called] is toastsaysrawr@hotmail.com.