Something I Could Hold Onto

Keep it simple, now.

"Sorry it's so messy," Gerard sighed apologetically. "I never really got around to organizing everything."

"Nah, it's fine," came the reply from the passenger seat. Frank took a shallow breath, more to fill his lungs with the comforting aroma of the car than out of necessity. It was the same smell of its owner's -- nicotine mixed with coffee -- but intensified with several other perfumes. "I like it."

... It had taken a moment to start "Toto", as Gerard had affectionately named him. He explained that Toto was "very sensitive to cold" and how much he hated the snow.

Upon hearing this, Frank let out a low giggle. "What kind of weather does he like, then?" he asked sarcastically.

A second laugh filled the car. "He's a pretty picky fellow," the older man said, unfazed by the dry humor. "But if I had to pick, I'd definitely go with fog."

"Why fog?"

"Easy," he grinned, "Toto has self esteem issues."

Two sets of laughter now infiltrated the air, mixing together harmoniously and with a new-found casualness. When the last chuckles had left each respective boy, Frank spoke again.

"I dunno how he's gonna manage in New York," he said. "All those fancy Vipers and shit... I know I'd be intimidated."

"Yeah yeah, for sure. Those are, like, the Fabio's of SUVs."

"That's one way to put it!" came the giggly reply.

Gerard nodded, before moving his hand towards the backseat. He fumbled for a minute, swerving along the empty road, before finally protruding a worn map. "There' we go!" he exclaimed with a satisfied smirk. His fingers unfolded the ratty paper easily, rotating it twice before finally laying it in his lap. "I still don't know how to get to the city," he admitted, a slight blush emerging at his cheeks.

"Do you go there often?" Frank asked politely.

"I guess you could say that; my brother has had an apartment there for almost a year." He furrowed his brows at the crisscrossing blue lines. "I visit him a lot."

"And you still get lost?" he chuckled teasingly.

"Hey! Don't laugh at me; I consider it a handicap!" Gerard grinned. "Besides, if I wasn't so directionally challenged, I never would have found your busted up scrapheap!"

"Thanks again for that," he laughed, the moment passing.

"Well, we know why I'm headed to the big city; What are your plans up there?"

Frank hesitated. Don't tell him everything, he told himself. Keep it vague. "Just... A little bit of birthday celebrations," he answered with a forced smile.

"Excellent," was the reply. "Anything in particular?"

"No, not really. Just chillin', I guess."

"Sounds exciting!"

"Definitely is."

If you only knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really satisfied with the last two chapters... But here you go!

The title is from "Keep It Simple" by Cobra Starship.

Comments, please?
They make my day :]