Something I Could Hold Onto

Just like the movies.

"No fuckin' way!" Frank exclaimed happily, his mouth hanging agape with a hint of a smile.

Gerard grinned and stepped out of the shadows, clapping his hand on the smaller boy's shoulder. "Did I deliver or what?"

The two stood atop a grassy green hill, wind rustling the tree leaves above their heads. The smell of gasoline and popcorn hung in the air, a cocktail of nostalgia the overtook both boy's senses. Frank cast his eyes forward, gazing upon scene straight from a novel -- cars were aligned in asymmetrical rows on a gravel lot, almost toy-like in the distance. Directly before the miniature figures stood a massive screen, surrounded with images ripped from childhood. All around them, life was still; no rustling was emitted from nearby bushes, no voices carried over the lush slope to meet their ears, no stray couples invaded the sanctity of their private recluse.

Frank beamed, turning his attention to the smirking man on his left. "I love drive-ins," he said simply.

The reply came with a gentle smile. "I'm glad you like it," he said, easing himself down to the ground.

His companion joined him, leaning against the base of the tree and formulating sentences to express his thoughts. "I don't know what to say"? No, that's stupid. What about "This is really nice of you?" ... That's bad, too; I'd sound like a fuckin' teenage girl. He struggled to gain articulation for several seconds more until his attention was claimed by the source of his awkwardness.

"I found this place the first time I was in town," he began, focusing his eyes on Frank's. "My brother had heard about it from a friend and brought me to check it out. They usually show okay films, but I did sit through 'The Lion King' once." He laughed at the memory. "Not gonna lie, I still cried when Mufasa died."

Frank found himself snickering at the image, not even bothering to control his chuckles. "What are you, seven?"

"Hey, it's a sad movie!"

"It's for kids!"

"So you never cry during movies, then?" he defended playfully.

Frank puffed his chest out jokingly. "Of course not! I'm a real man," he grinned.

Instead of the clever retort he had been expecting, Gerard answered with a cool "we'll see about that."

A snort tore through his vocal chords. "What do you mean, we''ll--"

Before he could finish his statement, the screen erupted with color and sound boomed upwards. Scattered claps sounded from the audience below, signaling the start of the movie. Black faded to color as credits began to roll across the canvas.

Frank froze, his eyes becoming large as he read the text: Edward Scissorhands.

"You wanna take back that 'real man' thing now?"
♠ ♠ ♠
;]]

That movie always makes me cry.
I don't know if this qualifies as 'fun stuff', Pixie :3
But it's close!

The title is from "Movies" by Alien Ant Farm.