Something I Could Hold Onto

I've got this feeling I was put here for you.

"Oh, shit - I hate this part!" Frankie squealed, diving into Gerard's shoulder in an attempt to block out the picture.

His reaction induced teasing laughter, and a disbelieving shake of the head. "You really are a pixie!"

"And you really are a jackass!"

"True." The older man smiled and wrapped his arm around Frank's small body, pulling him tightly into his side. "But you love me for it."

... Two hours passed by without incident, and the pair found themselves walking the now-desolate streets. Lamp-posts illuminated the sidewalks in an almost romantic light; crickets provided a soundtrack for the scene. Although Frank could attest that his body was racked with warmth that seemed contagious, shivers jostled his frame visibly.

"Are you cold?" Gerard asked, his hands shoved deep into the confines of his pocket.

A gusty wind infiltrated the sanctity of the boys' idyllic walk, pushing cold into their bones and muscles.

The younger boy nodded slowly, his chattering teeth answering the question before any words were uttered. "J-j-just a l-l-little, it's ok-k-kay."

He giggled, amused by the difficulties the weather imposed on his speech. "We should have brought a blanket," he said thoughtfully, before shuffling forward and slinking the leather jacket from his shoulders. "Put this on," he urged, wrapping the fabric around his frail shoulders. "You're not allowed to get sick on your birthday!"

A laugh escaped Frank's quivering lips. "Technically, my b-birthday ended two hours ag-g-go."

They continued forward, the pace relaxed and unhurried, until a familiar warning of discomfort came into view. Frank sighed, dragging his eyes to the front door of the hotel. The paint peeled awkwardly and boards hung loosely from the side of the building, giving off the impression that the edifice had seen too much too quickly. In many ways, he felt a connection between himself and the stacked bricks; they seemed to be under similar circumstances.

"This is my stop," he said with a sigh, handing the jacket back.

Gerard frowned slightly, but erased the expression as he reached into the coat pocket. "You have a cell phone, right?" he asked casually.

Frank grinned. "Are you asking me for my number?" he asked with a teasing note.

Gerard smirked. "Actually, I was planning to rob you blind and wanted to make sure that you couldn't call the cops."

Another coy smile crossed the younger boy's lips as he produced the small silver phone from his pocket. For a few moments, the only audible noises were faint breathing and abrasive beeps.

"I'll be around for a couple more days," Frank said, immediately chastising himself for dropping such a severe hint.
The notion went unnoticed, however, as his action was met with a light chuckle. "See you around then, Pixie."

Soon, I hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title is from "I Have Been Right Along" by Armor For Sleep.
It's an incredible album. You should definitely check them out :]

Sorry for the references in the last chapter; I don't like including them, but it was all I could think of to make the scene work :3 But thank you all for your wonderful comments, and a special thank you to everyone who has clicked that little link that says "subscribe". It makes me very happy that you like this enough to keep tabs on it!

I hate this chapter >.<