Status: Active

Heartbreak Warfare

It's No Fault but Mine

Nick’s POV


“Halvo, answer you fucking phone!” I yelled into my phone as Halvo’s voicemail picked up for the fifth time. “Eric, I’m serious. I really need to talk to you so stop screwing Becca and answer your phone.”

I threw my phone over into my passenger seat and continued driving. Even though I was a mess thanks to the events from this morning I was still heading towards my date with Claire. I needed to break-up with her. I really did like her but she was no Annabelle, and that’s who my heart still belonged to. I didn’t think I still had a chance with her though after everything we had done to each other. Last night proved differently, and then this morning ruined it all. I had tried to explain to her but she wouldn’t listen. I couldn’t really blame her though. The situation was messed up, and I knew we were both to blame.

There was one piece of the puzzle still missing though. She had made some comment about how she should have listened to Peter’s warning. I had no clue what “warning” she was talking about. Hell, I didn’t even know that she and Peter talked. I was confused but I was guessing whatever he said was most likely the reason why she left me. Whatever he said was also most likely false. I had no clue what he could have said though and why he would have lied. Why did he care about mine and Annie’s relationship?

My phone began ringing and I saw that Halvo was finally calling me back.

“It’s about fucking time.” I answered.

“Whoa bro, what crawled up your ass and died?” Halvo asked.

“Halvo, I’ve been calling you for thirty minutes. You were too busy with Becca though to answer.”

“Yeah, thanks for being a cock block by the way.”

“Does Justin know you’re sleeping with his sister?”

“Well actually Becca and I haven’t slept together yet. We figured we better tell Justin that we’re dating before we go any further. I would really like to keep my balls.”

Even though I had been mad at him just minutes ago I laughed. Halvo was one of my best friends and was always making people laugh.

“Speaking of sleeping with people…”Halvo began. “Where did you and Annabelle disappear off to last night?”

“That’s what I called to talk to you about.” I said and then recounted the whole story for him.

After I finished the story Halvo was silent for a few seconds until he finally said. “You fucked up, big time.”

“I know. I’m honestly breaking up with Claire though. I don’t love her. I love Annie. She wouldn’t listen to me this morning though when I tried to explain it to her.”

“Well can you blame her? I mean you slept with her and told her that you loved her and wanted to work things out. Then she wakes up and hears you talking to your girlfriend. Plus you know how she feels about infidelity after what her dad did to her family.”

“I’m not saying she’s wrong. If I were in her shoes I probably would have reacted the same way. That’s not what’s bothering me. What’s bothering me is that she mentioned Peter warning her about me or something.”

“Wait, what?” Halvo asked, confused.

I sighed and said, “Before she walked out she said that she should have listened to Peter when he warned her about me.”

“What the fuck does that mean?”

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out. So you have no idea what Peter said to her or what she means?”

“No man, I don’t. Sorry. I’m pretty sure Peter didn’t really like her, I don’t know why though. Even if he didn’t like her he wouldn’t try and sabotage your relationship, would he?”

“I honestly don’t know anymore. I thought I had everything figured out. I thought Annabelle never really loved me and was just messing with me then left once she got bored. I realize now that she really did love me and there had to be something that made her leave. I’m guessing that something was Peter.”

“I wish I could help you. I think you’ll just have to talk to Peter though.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that. Well I’m at the Claire's so I’m going to go. Thanks for listening to me bitch.”

“I’m used to it.” Halvo laughed before hanging up.

I hung up my phone and got out of the car, suddenly feeling nervous. I couldn’t remember the last time I had broken up with somebody. It seemed as if I was the one always getting broken up with instead of doing the breaking up.

I reached Claire’s door and rang the bell. She answered the door and looked beautiful. She was just my type of girl. She was petite and blonde. It seemed as if I always went for the Barbie doll types. I didn’t want this type of girl anymore though. The girl I wanted was tall, brunette, and could put you in your place in ten seconds flat. Annabelle was the complete opposite of Claire. Actually, Annabelle was the complete opposite of every girl I had ever dated.

“So what’s wrong?” Claire asked after the hostess at the restaurant had led us to our table.

“What?” I asked as I looked up from my menu.

“Something is obviously wrong. You were silent for most of the ride over here. You’ve barely said five words to me tonight. Something’s the matter.”

I took a deep breath. It was time for the moment of truth. “Claire, last night I slept with someone else. I cheated on you.”

“Was it a girl or a guy?”

“Huh?”

“Did you sleep with a girl or a guy?”

“A girl.” A confused look was on my face.

“Well that’s good. The last guy I dated had been screwing a boy behind my back for months. I don’t like being cheated on but I’d rather you cheat on me with a girl than a guy. So who was this girl?”

“My ex-girlfriend.”

“Ah, the one you’re still in love with?” Claire asked.

“How did you know I was still in love with her?”

Claire shrugged. “It was pretty obvious. You left in the middle of our first date to go yell at her. I know that screams hate but in order to hate someone that much you’ve had to have loved them that much, if not more, at some point. For you I was guessing the hate was only temporary. Plus, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.”

“You’re being extremely calm about this. Most girls would have yelled at me or thrown something at me by now.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy you cheated on me but I always knew that you’d never fully love me. Your heart still belongs to someone else. I’ll find my soul mate one day. It sounds as if you’ve already found yours though so go and get her.”

I groaned. “That’s where things get complicated. I can’t.”

Claire gave me a questioning look so I briefly explained how Annabelle heard the conversation between Claire and me this morning.

“I’d be pissed also if the guy I had just slept with was talking to his girlfriend the next morning, even if she was soon to be an ex. This just means you’ll have to fight harder for her, especially if she’s worth it and I’m guessing she is.”

“You have no idea.”

“Then go get her.”

Between talking to Halvo and Claire I knew that I first needed to find out what Peter said, what had caused this whole mess in the first place, and then go show Annabelle that we truly were meant for each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
So do you guys hate Nick a little less? Any guesses on what this whole thing with Peter's about?

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and thanks to KeepYourMouthShut, acarelessdaughter, somebody_who_cares, draloliane, and breaktheroutine for commenting!