Status: Active

Heartbreak Warfare

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Nick and I had always been opposites. We both had dark hair but while I preferred to keep mine its natural color, he dyed his a fake red/orange color. We both liked drinking but I liked going out to the clubs while he would rather stay home and chill with friends. He was in a band and I had no musical talent whatsoever. He loved country music, I couldn’t stand it. The differences went on and on.

Rehashing mine and Nick’s relationship to everyone reminded me just how bad for each other we truly were. I mean it’s no surprise we broke up. I’m surprised we made it as long as we did. Opposites or not though, I fell for the boy, and I fell hard. From the first time we met there was an instant connection.

“Please just give him a chance, A.J.” Becca pleaded as I put on my makeup in the mirror.

“Becca, you know I don’t do blind dates.” I groaned.

“It’s not a blind date. The two of us will just happen to be at the same place as Nick and Justin so it would be rude of me to not introduce you. Then, once I introduce the two of you you’ll realize how perfect you are for each other and get married.”

“Aren’t you rushing things a bit, Bec? Seriously. So how does Justin know this Nick guy?”

“He’s the leader singer in the band Justin recently joined.”

“You’re killing me Becca! You know I have a steadfast rule against band boys.”

“Rules are meant to be broken. Isn’t that one of your favorite sayings?” Becca smirked.

I groaned because I knew there was no way Becca would let me say no to this. “Fine. I’ll meet him and talk to him for five minutes. Don’t get your hopes up though.”

“Yes! I think you’ll be perfect for Nick. He’s seems to only date blondes and they always just break his heart.”

“He only dates blondes? Oh my gosh Becca, this just keeps getting worse and worse. If he only dates blondes why don’t you set him up with Stella or even yourself?”

“I’ve already told you A.J., you and Nick are perfect for each other. Just believe me. Oh, and wear your white and black striped dress. You look smoking in it.” Becca smiled as she left so I could finish getting ready.
___________________________________________________________________________

Becca and I walked into the club later that night and I immediately walked over to Justin.

“So, you went along with your sister’s crazy idea to set me up with your lead singer?”

Justin laughed and said, “Hey, Becca actually had a good idea for once. I figured I should go along with it because she doesn’t have good ideas very often.”

“Excuse me but whose idea was it to jump off the roof because he thought he could fly? You are the king of bad ideas.” Becca teasingly said.

I rolled my eyes at the two siblings and said, “Ok so where is this Nick guy?”

Justin pointed to a guy sitting at the bar with bright orange hair wearing a flannel shirt with rolled up sleeves which showed the hint of tattoos on his arms.

I looked at Becca and Justin and asked, “Are you guys out of your minds? I would never in a million years go out with someone like that.”

“And that is exactly why Justin and I think you guys should date. A.J., you always go out with those frat boy losers who just mooch off of their daddies. You need someone real. Just give Nick a chance.” Becca pleaded.

I rolled my eyes and said, “Fine, I guess I’ll get this over with.”

“That’s the spirit.” Justin smirked as I began walking towards the bar.

I sat down next to Nick and smiled as I said, “Hi, I’m Annabelle.”

He smiled back and said, “Hi, I’m…”

“Nick Santino.” I interrupted, and continued when I saw the strange look he was giving me. “I’m Becca and Justin’s friend. They’re trying to set us up.”

“Oh so you’re the friend. Wow, you’re really pretty.”

“Were you expecting me to be ugly?”

“No! I just don’t like blind dates. I’m really glad I agreed to this though.” Nick smiled and for some odd reason I felt butterflies in my stomach.

“I’m glad I agreed to this also.”

“So you said your name’s Annabelle, right?”

“Yeah, you can call me A.J. if you want. Everyone else does.”

“I think I’ll call you Annabelle. It’s a pretty name and I like it. It suits you.”


Nick and talked for the rest of the night. We just clicked. Even though I swore I would never date a band boy, Nick and I soon became official. There was just something about him, and I was smitten. Even though he was unlike any one I had ever dated before I loved everything about him from his bright orange hair to the way he called me Annie. He was the only person I’d allow to call me that. Even though I had strong feelings for Nick, there was still a part of myself that I kept guarded from him and he hated that. It threatened to tear us apart.

“Why are you so closed off from me Annie?” Nick yelled during the middle of one of our fights.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Bullshit! There’s a part of you that refuses to get close to anyone, even me. There’s a part of your heart that’s cold. Annabelle I am giving all of myself to this relationship and I need you to do the same if we’re going to work.”

“I don’t need to put up with this from you. I’m leaving.” I said as I started out the door.

Nick quickly grabbed my arm though and said, “Annabelle, please stay and let’s work this out. Justin and Becca told me that you have issues with your dad. They didn’t say what those issues were though.”

The tears started filling up my eyes, just like they always did when I started thinking or talking about my dad.

Nick wiped my eyes and pulled me into a hug and said, “I’m not trying to hurt you Annabelle. I just want to know what happened in your past that made you this way so I can help you.”

I sighed but began my story anyway, “When I was three my mom found out that my dad was cheating on her. They tried couples counseling but it didn’t work, he ended up divorcing my mom and marrying his mistress anyway. He even has two kids with his second wife. My sister eventually forgave him and moved in with him for a little while when we were in Jr. High but I couldn’t. I just couldn’t forgive him. It felt as if we weren’t good enough so he left and got a better family. Plus my mother spiraled into depression so I felt as if I needed to stay with her. People always say the only man a girl can depend on his her father and I couldn’t even depend on him so I guess that means I can’t depend on any guy.”

Nick just hugged me tighter and said, “I’m so sorry you had to go through that Annie. Thank you for telling me though. Now I know why you’re closed off and I can help you work through this. This will just make our relationship stronger, I promise.”

I nodded and said, “Do you mind if I spend the night with you? I don’t want to sleep with you yet, I just want to sleep next to you.”

Even though I was a bit of a partier and people assumed that I slept with tons of guys, I didn’t. I was pretty modest when it came to sex. I hated the idea of giving so much of myself to someone who would just let me down. I had only slept with one person, my high school boyfriend, and we had dated for over two years before I gave him my virginity. I’m sure my cautiousness when it came to sex stemmed from my issues with my dad and believing that I couldn’t trust any guy.

Nick nodded and said, “Yeah, that’s fine. You are more than welcome to stay here any time you want Annie.”

Nick and I went upstairs and got ready for bed. I borrowed an oversized shirt of his and he just slept in his boxers like normal. As soon as we got into bed he wrapped his arm around me which instantly made me feel better.

“Goodnight Annie. I promise to never hurt or betray you like your father did.” Nick whispered before we fell asleep.


If only he had kept that promise.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit meeting Nick for the first time.
Talking about their past and seeing how cute they were makes me sad to make them be so mean to each other now.
Sorry this took me so long to post but my computer got a virus and I only had half of the things I needed backed up so I'm in the process of trying to get everything again. Updates might be kind of slow for a while so I'm really sorry.