Toxic

Ten.

"You look like hell."

"Yeah well, I suppose that's a good thing when the devil comes knocking at your door."

I was trying to hid my sadness, but I knew that it wasn't exactly working. Moving out of the way, I made a path for Brooks to come into the apartment. As he passed, he placed the roses in my hands. I closed the door behind him, taking a sniff of the beautiful flowers in my hands. I had actually become so consumed in the flowers that I hadn't noticed Brooks walking towards my phone on the other side of the apartment.

"What is this doing over here?" He questioned. His words snapped me out of the my daze and made me remember that he was even there. As his question registered in my mind, another popped up. The question wasn't what was my phone doing here, it was what was he doing here?

"Angry phone call. No big deal." I shrugged slightly. The last thing I needed was to do was bring up the conversation I had just had with Mike. Although, I should have known that wouldn't have stopped Brooks. Within seconds, he was scrolling through my phone, trying to figure out who I had just been talking to.

He had no limits. In a way, this drove me insane. We didn't know one another. Just because I had sort of slept with him didn't mean he had the right to snoop through my phone. Actually, it didn't mean that he could just show up at my apartment either, or bring me the most beautiful bouquet of roses. He had found a way into my life and it didn't looks as though he was planning on letting up anytime soon.

"With Mike?"

"Will you give me that?!" Clenching my jaw, I walked straight towards him and reached out for the phone that he was now holding just out of my reach. In a foolish attempted, I tried to jump and reach it, but it was just out of my grasp.

To my surprise, Brooks' free hand slide around my waist and he pressed his lips against mine, hard. He gesture caught me completely off guard, and my first instinct was to push him away, or beat him senseless with the flowers that I still held in my hand. Instead, I held in that desire in, and instead returned his kiss. Part of me expected to feel a pang of guilt through my chest, considering the situation I had just gotten myself into. Instead, I didn't feel a thing.

When he finally pulled away, I let my eyes open slowly. Part of me thought this was just some dream. That the moment my eyes fluttered opened everything would disappear. I wouldn't be standing in the middle of my apartment anymore. Instead, I'd be back at Six Feet Under, grimacing every time Mike walked through the door. That Brooks Laich would still just be a player for a team that I couldn't stand, but no. The moment I opened my eyes, I was greeted by Brooks' gorgeous blue eyes looking right into mine.

I tried my best not to linger on his eyes, and instead took this chance to snatch my phone and walk into the kitchen to find a vase. Just as I though, Brooks followed me all the same. As I pulled open one of the cabinets in search for the only vase I owned, I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist.

"So what did you fight with Mike about?"

I shrugged, not really feeling like answering. Finding the vase, I pulled it from the shelf and placed it on the counter, hoping the question would just go away if I ignored it long enough. My fingers traced the design on the vase as Brooks began to kiss my neck softly. I sighed, knowing he was using these tactics to get an answer out of me. Turning in his arms, I tried to keep from rolling my eyes. I didn't like it when people tried to twist my arm to get something out of me. The fact that Books was so good at it made me hate him a little more.

"You," I said simply, looking into his eyes.

He didn't look surprised. Part of me was expecting him to be for some reason or another. Instead, he stepped back slightly and moved to the other side of the kitchen, leaning up against the counter. I took this chance to turn back around and start cleaning the vase, since I didn't even remember the last time it was used. I nearly jumped out of my skin when Brooks spoke again.

"I told him what happened," he said simply and quietly.

Filling the vase with some water, I started to place the flowers inside. "I figured as much, seeing as he called me and basically called me a whore because we slept together. I shrugged as I turned and walked passed him. I knew he would follow like a little puppy, and that brought a smirk to my face. Being in control was something I loved, and something I was pretty damn good at when given the chance. I continued into the bedroom and placed the vase on the nightstand. Turning around, I ran myself right into Brooks.

Before I could step back, his arms were around me again. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about him being this touchy feely. Normally, I hated human contact. Then again, it wasn't something that I was usually blessed with. Most people seemed to keep their distance from me, and it didn't help that I always held them away at arm's length. Again, my natural instinct told me to push him away, but I didn't. Instead, I let my arms slip around his body and rested my head against his chest.

It was nice and comforting. It was a feeling that I hadn't had in quite some time. I felt like a total bitch that not even an hour ago I was arguing with the man I thought I cared about, and now was standing in the arms of another. A kiss to the top of my head made me forget those thoughts.

"I have to run." The words caught me off guard, and I felt myself pull back slightly, looking up at him. I was surprised that I actually wanted him to stay, but I did. The thought of him leaving me alone again made me cringe. I had gone from the girl who didn't need anybody to the girl who craved constant attention. It didn't seem fair, but before I could stop myself, I spoke.

"Don't."

And with that, Brooks left my grasp to close the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys. i just wanted to say that i'm sorry that this story took so long to update.
i'm back in school and it's just kind of taking over, but im going to try and update anytime i can.
thank you all for following this story! (:
it means a lot to me.