Toxic

Seven.

He asked too many questions.

We'd been in the car for the past fifteen minutes, and the questions had yet to stop pouring from Brooks' mouth. Once I gave him an answer, it was quickly followed by yet another question. Part of me wanted to punch him in his pretty little face just to make him stop. Another part of me enjoyed it. He was a complete stranger who now knew more about my life than my best friends. It was sort of liberating. Until he brought up Mike.

"So would you care to explain why you just ran out of his apartment and haven't spoken to him in two days?" Brooks asked, like it was the simplest thing in the world.

"You wouldn't understand, okay?" Mostly, I just didn't want to sit down and explain it. He already knew about my family, my Dad's death, my money troubles; why should I spill the entire story about Xavier. Telling one person seemed like it was enough for the day. I didn't like people knowing my secrets. It was like they were getting access into a world that they shouldn't be able to. In my mind, Brooks was picking a lock that he shouldn't even be trying to open. Other parts of my life weren't that big of a deal, but this, this wouldn't be information I was going to give up willingly.

"Try me," He said, that arrogant smile on his face for what had to be the millionth time. I hated it. Arrogance had never been a trait I admired in guys, yet it seemed like every single member of the Capitals had it.

"Fuck off," I retorted, narrowing my eyes as we came to a stop light.

"Then get out."

Rolling my eyes, I folded my arms tightly across my chest, waiting for the light to turn green. "This doesn't have a fucking thing to do with you. I have yet to figure out why you think you can stick your nose into my business."

"Because this is my best friend we're talking about," Brooks said as the light turned, yet, he didn't move. "Now, like I said, you can either explain yourself, or get out."

I heard a car honk. "Fine. Fine! I'll tell you. Just GO."

For the second time that day I spilled my darkest secret. This time, it wasn't to someone I'd known for years. It was to someone that I'd just met. I didn't like these games. Ever since I was a child, I always wanted to be in control. I wanted to be the one calling the shots. Giving up control wasn't something that I enjoyed doing. Normally, I would fight to the death to avoid having other people control me. But this time, it wasn't my game that I was playing. Brooks was calling the shots, and there was nothing I could do about it just yet.

For once, Brooks shut his mouth. I didn't get to enjoy the silence for long, but I cherished it while I could. Lucky for me, it didn't last too long though.

"Does Mike know this?" For the first time, Brooks didn't sound like he was just trying to pry into my life. There was a hint of genuine concern in his voice. But, I didn't take it as just him caring. My mind processed it as sympathy. I didn't want sympathy. I didn't need it. My entire life, people looked at me like I was some wounded little puppy who needed to be loved and cared for. Once I bit, they realized that I was better off on my own.

"No. And I have no real intention of telling him right now," I started, letting my arms loosen a bit over my chest. "I don't want him looking at me the way you are now." I turned his direction to see the "I'm sorry" look shining through his blue eyes. "I want him to like me because he ACTUALLY likes me, not because I'm some sob story."

"Trust me, you're far from a sob story." And like that, Brooks was back to his teasing ways. I felt my arms tighten again and my lip curl, wishing he could hurry up and drop me off. "And you're nothing like the girls Mike usually goes with. Did you put a spell on him or something?"

"If you consider hatred a spell, then sure." I turned to him with a raised eyebrow, a serious expression still on my face.

"Do you ever lighten up? Seriously. Pull the stick out of your ass and calm down. What got you this tightly wound?" Brooks was serious again. I pulled my fist back and punched him as hard as I could in the shoulder, doing absolutely no damage unless you count my now throbbing hand. "I just mean, you're a gorgeous girl who seems like she's absolutely brilliant. You need to find reasons to be happy."

I sighed. He was right. I knew good and well that he was right. I never seemed to be happy. Things in my life were taken much more seriously than they ever should be. But before I had the time to answer him, his car stopped in front of an apartment building I vaguely remembered, but I did, in fact, remember.

"Get out," Brooks said simply, practically shoving me out the door. "Apartment 503."

-x-

I couldn't bring myself to knock. I had been standing outside the apartment that was supposed to be Mike's and I couldn't bring myself to knock on the door. It was so simple. I knocked on people's doors all the time. There was no big secret behind it. There was no trick. It was simple. A few flicks of the wrist and you were in. Simple as that. Every time I lifted my hand to pound on the door, it dropped again to my side. Then, I would being to pace slowly back and forth and try again. This had to of been going on for the past ten minutes. Finally, I knocked quickly, hoping nobody heard.

When the door swung open, my heart jumped into my throat. Mike stood there, staring at me like I was a ghost. He seemed like he was completely in shock that I had just shown up at his apartment, especially since I'd been here a grand total of once and didn't pay much attention.

"Hi," I said, trying to catch my breath.

"Hi," He finally breathed. "What are you..."

Before he could finish his sentence, another face appeared in the doorway. One I'd never seen before, but looked oh so familiar.

"Interrupting..."

And with that, I was walking away, fighting back another river of tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this story isn't updated as often.
I'm going to try and be better about it. (: