La Dama Muerte

Faint Viola Plays

So that must be the famous Dorian, James thought to himself. He eyed the pretty boy from the hostess' booth and smiled to himself. That boy had red eyes, puffy, wet eyes. But no matter how dark he tried to look, he looked like a brilliant angel. His skin glowed and his eyes sparkled in the candle light. He looked at the stage with a slight smile on his pale pink lips and closed his eyes. James felt Dorian's breathing pace itself to the pace of the notes sliding off the performer's viola.

Battling with himself in his own conscience weather or not he should observe this boy a little longer, a waitress tapped him on the arm. "Sir, do you have reservations to the Private Booths?"

James snapped out of his trance and looked at the petite woman that had just touched him. What a fool, he thought. This woman has no idea who he is. yet she looks so familiar. He took a note out from his chest pocket and showed her the pass to the Private Booths. The waitress looked at him once more with her pale green eyes.

And she flashed him a smile.

A smile that looked too familiar.

James took his flask out and took one slow drink of the vodka Death had given him for his meaningless birthday. He shook off the eeriness he had just endured and slowly made his way up to Dorian. He felt his heart thrust inside him and he instantly felt regret. He felt worry. He felt Deaths eyes following him everywhere. Even if it wasn't here.

"Dorian?" James asked quietly and knocked on the booth's wall. He saw Dorian's figure straighten up and clear his throat.

"Yeah," Dorian called out, "Come in." James entered the booth, knowing that women all over the club were catching glimpses of them through the hostess viewing slab. Dorian reached out to shake hands with James, only to have him look at his hands. "Do you want anything to eat or drink before we get into a deep discussion?" He asked James.

James simply shook his head and poured some of the contents in his flask in one of the vacant wine glasses. The black liquid poured into the glass and received a horrified look from Dorian. "What the hell is that?" He asked in a loud voice. James looked at him with innocent wide eyes and tilted head.

"It's... what I came to talk about," James said with a deep sigh. "I'll tell you this with full honesty and truth: Hannabelle and I were involved in the death of Mark Gray." James looked at Dorian's face intently. His gray eyes slowly widened in such a state of shock. His lips parted and tears formed in his eyes. His emotions were too visibly to James. And for the millionth, possibly billionth time in his life, he has seen true pain.

This is what he gets for working alongside Death. This is what he gets for trying to defy human nature. "Understand and please do not panic or attract any attention," James sighed. Thought attention was hard to avoid since they were the two most handsome men in the club. "Do you believe in Death?"

"How can I not?" Dorian said hoarsely. "I've witnessed it!"

"Not that kind of death. I mean Death. As in the Grim Reaper."

Dorain simply stared at him with an expression that read that he must be insane. James rubbed his temples and gulped down his bitter black drink. "Hannabelle is the grim reaper in human form. I am it's assistant/slave. Mark died because he was an important person that had an appointment for death."

Dorian looked at him disbelievingly.

"It was really his time to go," James said reassuringly, "But I'm not even supposed to tell you this. Death can kill me for all know. Well, it can't kill me since my soul belongs to it, but it can torture me for the rest of my life time. Doesn't that sound ironic? Death can't kill me?" James gave a nervous laugh.

An awkward, thick silence hung in the air and made it hard for Dorian to breathe. "I'm sorry, but I find this hard to believe." And with that, the pretty boy got up and left the club. James sat there, still looking at the empty space where he once sat. Then her heard a tap on the booth's walls. A waitress peeked in and smiled at James.

"A fresh fruit salad on the house," She said handing him a colorful bowl, "From the young woman who played the wonderful music tonight. He looked over the booths rail and saw that woman that he thought was a waitress. Then he realize why she looked so familiar.

It was his beloved girlfriend, Giovanna.