Love Is Such a Crazy Thing

Moving?

I arrived to work the next morning not feeling like I needed to be there. I walked into my office and put my things down on the desk. As I finished getting my things out and logging into my computer when I saw Daniel talking to his receptionist. I walked over to the door and closed it while walking back to my desk. I checked the messages my receptionist would send me about who called and noticed Jonathon Briggs, one of our top editors in California left me a message. I picked up my phone and dialed his number.

"Jonathon Briggs." He said.

"Hey Jonathon, it's Nikki Wright from the New York office. You called me?" I asked.

"Yeah, I am looking to hire an Editor-in-Chief for my California office and I remember when we worked together you were the best."

"Are you considering me for the job?" I asked.

"Of course. I can fly you out this weekend and we can talk about the position next week and I can introduce you to the staff." He said.

"Sounds perfect." I said.

"Good, I will have my receptionist call you about your flight and hotel accomodations." He said.

"Okay, I'll see you Monday." I said and hung up.

Why not leave New York for a while? I stood up and walked to my receptionist's desk.

"Lynn, can you please just check to make sure my passport is up-to-date and Jonathon Briggs' office is going to be sending some hotel as well as flight confirmations just bring them to me." I said. I didn't notice Daniel behind me as I walked back into my office to finish up some work that I fell behind on.

"Planning a trip?" I heard from the door and looked up to see Daniel standing there.

"Yeah, I have some vacation time so I'm flying out to California." I told him.

"Jonathon Briggs has been calling and looking for you. I'm pretty sure that he's trying to take you away from this office." He said.

"And if he is what does that mean?" I asked.

"You are a valuable asset to this company and I can't allow it." He said.

"Daniel just stop." I said as I stood up.

"What?" I asked.

"I know what's going on here and if you are trying to keep me here because you love me then you are sorely mistaken if you don't think I'm taking this job." I said.

"Listen, this is not about us." He said.

"Is it not?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

"Fine maybe a little."

"Daniel, I love you but I'm going." I said as I went to sit back down.

I heard his heavy footsteps as he walked out of the room.

***

A week later,

After I went to California and saw the offices. I was torn on whether I should leave. I think that a change in scenery would help get over Daniel but I wasn't sure if that was the right thing that I wanted to do. I was in laying on my couch because I had to call out sick for the last 3 days. I was beginning to think that it wasn't the sushi that had me sick. The door opened and Asia and Mike walked in.

"Hey guys." I said as I sat up a little bit.

"Hey, you okay?" Asia sat beside me.

"No, my stomach is acting all weird." I said.

"How was your trip?" Mike asked.

"It was decent." I said.

"Good, you aren't leaving me here with him are you?" Asia asked.

"Hey!" Mike said.

"I don't know honestly." I said then a wave of naseau hit and bolted up from my seated position to the toilet. I emptied the contents of my stomach violently for the next 2 minutes while Asia held my hair back.

"If I didn't know any better I would say you are pregnant." Mike said.

Both of us looked at Mike and I felt another wave of nausea hit again as I buried my head back in the toilet.

God please don't let me be pregnant. I prayed internally.