Crazy

Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Kate

I’m in court, filled with nothing but fear. What happened to that fearless girl whom I used to be? Yeah…? What happened to her? Now, I’m just the opposite…

I’m not going to ramble on about what it was like in court. I was too worried to really focus on what was going on. Plus, this isn’t a court drama. I’m just going to give you a summary of what went on.
The lawyers asked me a lot of questions, along with questions of other witnesses and whatnot. It was confusing. So, I told them my story. The whole truth and nothing but the truth and all that.
Then, as I’m listening to the stories of Josh’s mom along with many other friends and family of his, I find something out. Something that I didn’t know before: Josh was alive. He was alive!!! What I did wasn’t murder after all…but they still considered it attempted murder. Plus, THE BOY I LOVED WAS ALIVE!!!!! He was in the hospital, in a coma or something like that, but he was still alive!!!
I know I should have been happy about that. But I wasn’t. I still was getting in trouble…actually, I just found out I was not only getting in trouble, but I was getting in trouble for something I didn’t even do: kill him.

Later, the jury came to a decision. They voted that I was in fact insane. It made me feel so…so…insane. But then again, at least it was getting me out of jail.
But then a thought came into my head. I asked myself “What now?”
I found out that I wasn’t going home. I was going to be in a mental hospital for TEN WHOLE YEARS!!!! What the fuck…? Did I really deserve that…? Then, I remembered, how I thought Josh was dead and all that, and a tear came out of my eye. I felt sad…sadder than ever. And he is hurt…in a coma…that’s almost worse than being dead. So, maybe, I do deserve this.

I go to the hospital. I have to ride in a police truck on my way there. But when I finally get there, I almost feel worse about pleading insanity. Maybe it was better for me to be in jail.
I go inside…everyone here is, like, dead, practically. It’s so…..weird.
I go in, see my room, and everything. Surprisingly, I have a roommate…she’s a schizophrenic…not that her disorder matters.
Her name is Rebecca. She’s really nice, actually. I try to be nice to her too, but I’m in such a bad mood, that she just keeps making me even more angry.
She’s leaving soon though. Soon, I’ll be alone. Absolutely alone.

I cry and cry and cry all through the night. I can’t help it. I just can’t. I hate being here.
“What’s wrong?” Rebecca asks me.
“Nothing…I just…don’t wanna be here.”
“But once you get used to it, you don’t wanna go back to the real world.”
“Oh.”
She sighs, and we both go back to sleep.