Crazy

Chapter 3

I’m at my small little school in Massachusetts. I’m near my lockers. I’m walking away from them with Ashleigh by my side. We are walking to our next class, which is algebra.
“I’m so nervous about tomorrow,” she tells me, looking like she’s about ready to cry.
“Don’t be,” I advise her. “You’ll do great.”
Okay, that’s not exactly the truth about what I think. I’m pretty sure she knows it’s not too, so it’s no big deal. But I’m not lying. Lying is a mean thing that mean people do. I’m actually being nice. I’m trying to make her feel a little better, you know?
She’s obviously too ugly to be a cheerleader. She has messy short brown hair, brown eyes, and she wears baggy sweatshirts and sweatpants. She’s also very short. The only thing good about her appearance is that she’s skinny and thin.
I have blonde hair and blue eyes which is perfect for a cheerleader. I’m also tall and I’m confident enough to actually show off my body sometimes. I am, after all, the sexiest girl in the school…unlike Ashleigh, the ugliest girl in school. I’m surprised we’re even friends.
Plus, she’s not very athletic. I, on the other hand, tried out for almost all of the sports teams, and I made it too. I was even the captain of my softball team. Ashleigh’s more into photography and geekier stuff like that.
Whatever, I’ll still try and give her some confidence. Who knows? Maybe if she’s confident, Princess, the cheerleading captain, will let her make the team. I highly doubt it though. She’s too ugly and nerdy. I’d never in a million years mention that to her though.

I go home, and lie down in my bed. I’m tired and exhausted from all of the school work.
I turn up my stereo, and blast “Tik Tok” by Ke$ha. I love this song so much.
My mom’s not home. She’s never home anymore. She’s always at work. She’s a lawyer – a famous lawyer too.
Believe it or not, she used to be a cheerleader. So was my sister, Lilly. Every girl in my family was a cheerleader.
Every guy in my family was a football player too, like my dad, for example. I barely remember him though. He died in a car crash when I was nine years old, along with Lilly, when he was picking her up from one of her cheerleading competitions.
I am fourteen now. That’s the same age Lilly was when she died.
I kind of feel like I have to be a cheerleader now, partly because I like the sport, and partly because I want to carry on the tradition especially in memory of my sister, Lilly.
I fall asleep as my stereo blasts Ke$ha songs.
I dream about being a popular cheerleader. I’ve always wanted to be the most popular of the populars. That’s another reason I want to become a cheerleader so badly. I never was though. I wasn’t unpopular either, don’t get me wrong. I was always just average, which in my opinion, is the worst thing to be.
I’ve always strived to reach absolute perfection. The thing that scares me is that I don’t know if perfection even exists. I don’t think it does.
Whatever, I guess, though. I’ll create it, myself!

I wake up the next morning, feeling like I’m on top of the world. I feel more confident than ever.
I get woken up by my mother. I’m surprised she even cares enough to wake me up. She’s not really the caring type as I’ve stated too many times before.
I get dressed.
I put on a little pink plaid mini skirt, and a pink shirt that says SLUT on it. It shows my belly button. I feel like the chick from the nineties. Like, Christina Aguilera or something.
I go to the bus stop. I see Ashleigh.
“Woahhh,” Ashleigh gasps, laughing. “What are you wearing?”
“What I feel like,” I explain to her. “I’m Lola Spears.”
We walk on to the bus, talking and laughing.

I’ve always wished my name was Lola instead of Lauren. Lauren’s too plain and average for me. I want something different. Something glamorous. Something perfect.

We arrive at the school. I get off the bus, with Ashleigh and all the other kids. We walk into our high school. It really is a HIGH school. Everybody in it is stoned all the time.
I walk inside, with Ashleigh and all the other kids, the gangstas, the emos, and the major stoners. We are the only ~*preps*~ who ride our bus, sadly.
I walk inside.
I go to my first class, and begin my day at school.

When I hear the bell ring, I get up and walk out of the classroom. It was my last class of the day too.
It’s finally time. It’s time to shine. Time to go to cheerleading try outs.
Some how, by this point, my level of confidence drops. Although, I still am pretty sure I’m going to make it on the team, I get a little nervous too.
“Oh my God,” Ashleigh comes up behind me and says. “I’m so not going to make it.”
I don’t know what to say, so I just tell her she will again.
We are walking in the halls right now. We’re walking towards the gym.
When we get there, we could see it filled with people – mainly preps. Some of them we’re friends with, some of them we’re not so friendly with…
One by one, everyone takes their turn at trying out. They all have great cheers.

It’s my turn. I go up and start doing a cheer routine to a Ke$ha song. My heart is beating really fast. I’m excited. I am SOO going to make the team. The cheer routine I’m doing is amazing.
When I’m done, I walk away, and walk towards Ashleigh.
“Your turn,” I whisper to her.
She goes and starts her cheer routine. It’s like “1-2-3-4, we know who we’re rooting for! GO WILD CATS GO WILD CATS!”
I roll my eyes. It’s the dumbest, most generic cheer ever. But it’s Ashleigh for you.
“Okay,” Princess the cheerleading captain shouts, while clapping her hands. “The results will be posted on the wall of this gym tomorrow!”
“I’m not going to make it,” Ashleigh whispers to me.