Put an X on the Floor

To the Zones

"Duck!" Cellophane Gunner yells, dives to the floor and just misses the ray that is heading towards him. Diamond Revenge hesitates and the person behind the rays notices and shoots more towards her. She stands where she is and Cellophane regrets bringing her with him. He reaches forwards, grabs her arm and yanks her harshly to the ground, a ray skimming her forearm which makes her gasp.

"It hit me."

"Again, yes," Cellophane snaps and she feels a bit of regret about getting hit before. It's only on her leg that she got hit but it's enough to stop them for a moment. A moment too long though. "You're not from the zones. Why didn't I realise that before?"

Rays flew past where they were hidden and Diamond Revenge gasps. She has never been in a situation like this before and even though she may have been in the zones for a while now, she has never had to witness something like this. It makes Cellophane regret his decision even more. "Come on," he says to her and begins to crawl around the back of the building. She follows after but not as fast seeing as her leg has a stinging graze that is bleeding.

"What are we going to do?" She gasps, slightly out of breath.

Cellophane thinks for a moment. Any other time he would ditch the girl without a second thought because not only did she lead the Dracs to the diner and where they are now, but she's slowing him down and is extra baggage that he doesn't need. For some reason now he won't ditch her. Maybe because he finally knows what it's like to be somewhat like the Fabulous Killjoys. They help people even if that means they get put in danger. He's seen it before.

"I want you to run," he says quietly as he opens the box he has in his hands, "and I want you to not look back. That'll get you killed. You run to that far building over there." He points to one in the far distance and Diamond Revenge feels her heart drop at the distance. She won't be able to make it, but nevertheless she nods. "I'm going to stall these. I've seen enough from the Fabulous Killjoys to know what to do about it. And if I don't make it... then you're on your own. And seriously, that'd be the worst thing for you because you're not a Killjoy therefore most won't want to help you out. Now go."

The girl doesn't have to be told twice. She's on her feet and runs across the desert. She's open and vulnerable. Her feet kick up sand as she runs and she feels some fly up into her eyes but she doesn't do anything about it, just carries on. She can only hope that the boy makes it because she needs all the help in the world to survive these zones.

And after what he told her, she doesn't know what to think. Her first thought was that the Fabulous Killjoys were commendable for what they do, then that it's all lies and now this boy tells her that they risk their lives to save other Killjoys when they don't have to. That they do it because they want to. At least, what she assumes as way.

This is one of the reasons why she did never want to visit the zones like this. She wouldn't be able to survive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Goodbye January. Bidding it farewell with Bon Jovi.