Put an X on the Floor

From the Zones

There's a vibe around and it isn't a good one. The sort of one that could make someone forget about something important just so it would go away. That was the aim, really, but it didn't work.

It makes them nervous, yes, but none more than how they might already be. They know they have the tag of death above their heads; they've had them for a while now. It's not something that is just so easily brushed under the rug.

Kobra Kid has a feeling. He doesn't know just how reliable the feeling is or whether it is even something to have worry filling him about, but it's a feeling he doesn't like. It's like he knows that something bad is going to happen. What, he doesn't quite know. Just that it will involve the Fabulous Killjoys.

It came to him suddenly one night. He wasn't thinking about anything really, just on his watch time. They have watch times ever since they had to leave the diner because they tend to stop for camp almost anywhere. And then suddenly the feeling enters him, consuming him and filling him with something short of dread. Something's going to happen. Someone's going to die - unless they all die, that is. It wouldn't be too hard, there is only three of them now. If Jet Star was still here then maybe they would have more chance because four is better than three in a situation like this.

He doesn't tell anyone about this feeling. Maybe because he feels like he shouldn't say anything just in case all it is is an actual feeling and nothing too bad, and maybe because he just isn't like that. He doesn't often have things to tell anyone and when he does he just mostly brushes the things off from his shoulders and never gets round to telling them. Maybe that is a bad point with him, he can never be too sure.

"Hey Kid, what's up?" Fun Ghoul asks and stands next to Kobra Kid. He looks at the man for a moment or two.

"Nothing, Ghoul. Just tired and not all that alert. What are you doing up?"

He shrugs. "I couldn't sleep. Had my first nightmare in years and I can't even remember what it was about."

Kobra Kid nods. They don't often have nightmares because they don't often sleep that heavily for them. Or maybe they do have nightmares and because they don't sleep heavily, they don't remember them, none of them could be sure.

It's nighttime and they're going to head out as soon as Party Poison wakes. Kobra Kid assumes that he's already up but not quite ready to leave yet because he's never been the last one up before. Not since this all happened. There's something in him that needs to be the one alert, the one awake. The same something that makes him the one that people look to, who think he's the leader of it all. Before it might have been called something like charisma but now, in the desert, that word has no meaning.

But if you talk to some of the zone hoppers in the deserts, they say life has no meaning. And maybe it does and maybe it doesn't, many never seem to think of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know where I'm going, I just don't know how to get there. Somewhat difficult.