Put an X on the Floor

From the Zones

She stops mid-step and stares forward, almost like she's seeing something in the air. She's not seeing something but rather she's hearing a high-pitched beeping and after a moment she recognises the beeping and what it indicates.

Her task has been deactivated.

They hadn't banked on something like that happening because the likelihood of it happening by any other person wasn't high, but something had happened. Someone or something had completed her task for her, making her departure seem almost unnecessary. As she hears the beeping in her ears, it's transmitted back to her headquarters and the first person to read the alert thinks that it's an error with her and tries to reprogramme her from the building. It fails and they then tell others about the news and before long the boss has received the news.

The desert still continues around her and the heat beats at her clothing, but she just can't move. Her feet feel like they are connected to the floor, and maybe they are because that wouldn't be something that would surprise her with whom she works for. That's just how they do it, and it's a good way to do it so there's no criticism there from her. Not that she has the authority to give criticism, of course. All she's made to do is to carry out her task, and that was why she was released and sent out into the desert. Everything had sat on her to complete the task, and she had faith she would because there's nothing she can't do, especially with what the task was.

However, not everyone agreed with that and most didn't want her on the job but they had no say. But after this deactivation, they seem to be changing their minds. It wouldn't be revealed to them for some time that something else happened during that deactivation, something that they hadn't been alerted to when it happened. Maybe it was because she hadn't been the one to complete the task and someone else had, she didn't know, but all she did know was that the headquarters should have been alerted to the after event and the survival.

But they weren't.

And that was the first task Exterminator Lithium had ever been assigned. Consequently, it was also her last task to ever be assigned to. As for her fate, no one knows quite what happened to her and it shall be something that no one gives a thought to when they find out about her.

After all, these are the Danger Days and she was the enemy.

Or was she?
♠ ♠ ♠
Was she a good guy or a bad guy? One can never tell because who is defined the good guy, the Fabulous Killjoys who kill people needlessly and without thought or Better Livings who correct people and subject them to painful altering? A question with no answer.