Status: COMPLETE AS OF 12/28/2013

Where I Belong

FWD

Spring 2011

Ellie sat at an isolated table in the library, studying until she couldn’t keep her eyes open any longer. She was preparing for exams she was going to be taking in a few weeks. The exams were usually further away but since the Prince of Wales was going to touring the school in a few weeks, the chancellor proposed that all exams were to be taken the following week.

Her eyes began to drop. She laid her head on the desk, facing the book and looked at her watch. It was nearly 11.30 pm and she was exhausted. Though, she was quite happy that she had finally gotten used to the different time zone and gotten rid of her jet lag. Being gone from her homeland for more than a decade made her realize that she hardly knew what Wales was like, let alone the UK.

She spent her childhood in Wales. She remembered the little cottage she lived in with her parents and her grandparents being down the road. Most of her memories were very faint though, she couldn’t come to remember if she had any friends when she attended primary school. But all she did remember was how happy she was back when she used to live in the cottage. The laughter, the birthdays, and tears that made that house brought her up to be a very happy girl and then suddenly, all that happy went away just like the cottage.

Ellie’s parents blamed her nain and taid for burning down the house when she left them to baby sit Ellie. She was only eleven. At that age, you were supposed to be witnessing beautiful things like making friends or baking with nain, not watching your mum and dad argue head-on with nain and taid.

After all the fighting, screaming and crying, Ellie and her parents decided to leave Cardiff and move to the US, Washington D.C. to be exact. They had a sense that the American life was a lot simpler than a life in Cardiff. They wanted to bring up Ellie in a modern way and that was where she had been for the past twelve years.

“Miss? We will be closing the library in 5 minutes. You should pack up your books, love,” said the librarian. Ellie woke up, jerking her head up quickly as if she were late for an exam. She looked up at the lady and nodded. “Ah, thank you. I’ll leave in a few.”

The library was getting emptier as Ellie put her books back into her bag. She grabbed the strap and crossed it over her body, resting it on the side. She yawned quietly, not wanting to be rude to the lady. The brunette took a hold of her coffee and exited the library.

The night life in Cardiff wasn’t the same as Washington D.C. Whenever you stepped out during night, there were bright lights everywhere and people scattered around the whole city. It was like a second New York City. She missed the breeze she felt whenever she took that first step into the night. Cardiff was a lot more subtle. There weren’t many people out and the streets were covered in trash, but the lights were alright, she thought.

It only took a few minutes to walk from the library back to her grandparents’ home. Ellie walked down the sidewalk, around a few corners, and alas she was home.

“Ellinor, why are you home so late?” asked her granddad, who was lying on the couch watching telly. Ellie smiled and walked over to him, throwing a blanket over his body and kissed his forehead. “I had to do some studying for exams I have this Friday, taid. If you haven’t heard, Prince Harry is going to be touring the campus and we, students, have to suffer through exams this week.” She groaned quietly. Her taid laughed and placed his hand over hers. “Oh you’re going to do fine sweetie, your nain and I believe in you.”

She sat there and talked to her taid until he fell asleep. Once he started snoring for a few, Ellie got up, turned off the lights and telly and then went off to her bedroom. After she got into bed and was about to shut her eyes, she got a text message.

FWD: Prince Harry is going to be at Cardiff University next Monday. Whichever girl gets his mobile number first than she is forever crowned lucky. Who’s she going to be? We’ll find out when the Prince of Wales tours the campus. Good luck ladies Xxx

Ellie rolled her eyes. Sure, she was a bit excited, but Prince Harry of Wales wasn’t the reason she was there. She was in Cardiff to finish a semester of grad school and to help out her grandparents. Her two main reasons were very important and special to her, and Prince Harry wasn’t going to change that. He was just touring the campus and that was all.

You all are mad. But good luck with that Xxx
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, I'm so happy there are readers and over 20 subscribers already! That's amazing. You all share a love for Harry and that makes me want to write more. Expect a lot more coming up!