Meeting Kiss My Cake

Chocolate Cake & Strawberries

Sighing, I stared out the window of my NYC apartment while drinking my morning coffee. The view of the city was magnificent, one of the perks of being the head pastry chef at one of the best restaurants in the city. Today was my first day off in months and I agreed to go to lunch with my friend Carson.

Dr. Carson James. I had never believed love at first sight could happen to me, although I do pride myself on being a romantic. But from the time I met him, saw him, stared into those gorgeous dark blue eyes, I fell.

~~~~~~~~~~~ 1 Year Ago ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was busy in the kitchen, ordering my crew of chefs around and ensuring each dessert looked perfect and delicious, like I do every night. When the phone started ringing, my right hand Rosa handed it to me saying,
“It’s the boss, he wants to talk to you.” I grasped the phone and held it to my ear.
“Mischa? I need that special dessert for Mr. St. Ange to be brought up.” said my boss, Robert.
“Okay I’ll put on the finishing touches and send someone out with it.” I replied.
“No, Mischa I want you personally to bring it out. You spend too much time in that kitchen down there.”
“Well, Robert, that is what you pay me to do. You know bake and cook fabulous desserts which requires a kitchen.” I joked sarcastically.
“I know that but Mischa just do what I say.”
“Yeah, ok I’ll be right up.”

I drizzled some chocolate sauce on a plate, placed the cake on top then I carefully set the diamond ring in the middle hidden by a strawberry. Grabbing the plate, I headed out to the table. I weaved in between the tables and around staff and patrons. Daniel St. Ange was proposing to his girlfriend of two years and I was delivering the ring. I made my way to the couple and asked the smiling brunette,
“Cheyenne?” confused she looked up,
“Yes, what do you need?”
“I have a special dessert for you.” I answered setting the plate in front of her as she looked to a nervous looking Daniel for confirmation.
“Its you favorite, Cheyenne. Go ahead and eat it.” Smiling at the two I backed away a polite distance where I could watch and give them their privacy. A grinning Cheyenne snatched the strawberry and ate it first, as Daniel predicted she would. When she looked back at her cake she froze and looked wide eyed at Daniel only to find him down on one knee. A few seconds later she nodded with tears in her eyes as he slipped the ring on her hand.

“Excuse me, miss?” a voice to my left asked. Turning slightly, to see a table of three with an older couple and a handsome man around my age, I put a smile on my face and replied,
“Hi, how can I help you?”
“Are you the woman that cooks the fabulous desserts that my wife and I always enjoy when we come here?”
“Yes,” I answered smiling at the compliment, “I am the head pastry chef.”
“I was wondering if you would join us for the rest of our dinner.” the older man asked.
“I can’t. I really need to get back to the kitchen.” I denied, ready to leave when Robert appeared and said,
“She’ll stay. She needs to have a break once in a while.” I opened my mouth to protest but the look Robert gave me, made me take my seat.

“Hi I’m Dr. Jackson Hart and this is my wife Patricia.” said the older man with a serious face but a lively personality who sat next to a woman around the same age with brown hair with streaks of gray. “I’m the head of the hospital and Patricia is principle of Benjamin Academy.”
“Hi I’m Mischa Renicco,” I replied.
“Dr. Carson James.” said the man sitting beside me, with blonde hair and amazing dark blue eyes. When our eyes met, that was it, that was the moment I fell for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since then we have become good friends, but that is all we are. He is the perfect guy; sweet, smart, athletic. He was devoted to his job and helping his patients. Carson worked as a neurosurgeon at the hospital and was on his way to becoming the best in his field. He understands the way I love my job and just all around understands me. I tried getting over him, I knew it wasn’t healthy. I dated a few guys but each time it ended in disappointment.

Setting down my coffee cup in the sink and I made my way to my bathroom to shower and get ready for lunch.