Status: Snakebites 2.0

Snakebite Hearts & Bubblegum Smiles

Jane

I had planned everything out last night. My clothes were folded neatly on top of my dresser. I had laid out my hairbrush and makeup in front of the mirror and my shoes were at the foot of my bedroom door so I could slip them on before I left. My bag was packed with all my pens, pencils, and notebooks. Everything was organized and yet somehow, I still didn’t feel ready.

I got dressed and brushed my hair, tucking my bangs behind my ear.

Maybe I should just let it fall in my face or cover my face completely, I thought. Then I wouldn’t be able to catch anybody looking at me funny.

“You almost ready, Hon?” Mom poked her head in without knocking, making me jump. “You should probably head out soon.”

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a few.”

“How about I make you something before you go?” she said. “French toast?”

I turned back to the mirror. “No time. I’ll just grab a granola bar before I go.”

“Okay then.” She paused for a moment and just stood in the doorway, watching me as I finished getting ready for school. I thought I heard her sigh. “You sure you don’t want me to drive you?”

I walked over and stepped into my shoes. Then I picked up my bag, sliding both arms through the straps. “It’s okay. Really, Mom.” I had already Google Mapped the way to school on my laptop and it was only a fifteen-minute walk from the house if I kept up a fast pace.

She gave me a weak smile and pulled me in for a hug. “Have a good day, Sweetheart. I love you.”
-

When I got to school, I felt like a little lost puppy. Everyone looked like they were about six inches taller than me and not a single person walked alone. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with as much air as they could hold, and walk through the front entrance. Inside, the administration offices were hard to miss. You practically ran into them once you walked into the lobby.

The woman behind the desk seemed nice enough. She was sympathetic about my mid-year transfer and even offered herself as a guide if I needed one. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than being led around by administration. I politely declined her offer and told her that I’d be fine on my own. I hoped I was as capable as I seemed confident. She gave me my class schedule and a brief set of directions to my first class.

Upstairs. Down the hall. First room on the left? Or did she say right? I tried to remember as I left the office. I looked over my schedule as I walked down the hall. Upstairs. Down the hall. Second room on the—no first room…

My thoughts were stopped short when I plowed right into someone, sending both of us to the floor. My face beet red, I turned onto my side and saw a boy with shaggy dark brown hair lying next to me.

“Lose something?” he asked, holding up my schedule.

I took it and got to my feet so fast I felt dizzy. “I am so sorry. I didn’t even see you,” I said so fast, he probably couldn’t understand half of it. “I mean, not that you weren’t noticeable, I just wasn’t paying attention.” I wanted to slap myself in the face to shut myself up, but the word vomit just kept pouring out.

The boy got up and laughed. “It was my bad. I should have seen you coming.”

“I can’t blame you. I kind of classify as a midget.”

“Well I think I kind of classify as a totem pole, so I guess being vertically challenged makes us both at fault.”

The goofy smile on his face made me relax a little. He seemed nice. “I was actually looking for a classroom. Could you help me out?”

“Sure.” He took back my schedule. “Oh, you’re in my class. It’s like this was destiny or some shit.”

I felt the blood rush back to my face for a completely different reason. I didn’t want to say anything in case I said something stupid and embarrassed myself all over again. Not saying anything wasn’t exactly doing me much good either though.

“So…you coming?” he asked.

“Right. Yeah, yeah.”

We started walking toward the stairs. When we finally reached the classroom, I thanked him and took a seat in the back. I hadn’t expected him to follow me, so I was surprised when I saw him drop his bag near the desk next to mine.

“I see. You get me to be your personal guide and then you get rid of me?” he said.

“What? No—”

“Relax. I’m just messing with you.”

“You’re hilarious.”

“You haven’t even seen me at my best.”

“Do I want to?”

He stopped and looked at me for a moment, a small smile on his face. “What’s your name, New Girl?” he asked.

“Jane.”

“Jack.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll be updating every Friday from now on. Hope everyone's enjoying :) Let me know in the comments!

-K