Status: Snakebites 2.0

Snakebite Hearts & Bubblegum Smiles

Brooke

I sat outside on my porch-swing, waiting for Kara, Lisa, and the guys to come over. I rocked back and forth on the tips of my toes. A couple cars passed, some coming home and others just passing through. Some kids across the street were playing with chalk, doodling all over their driveway. Another car drove up, this time pulling up in front of Jane’s house.

I saw Jane and her mom come out with plastic bags hanging from their arms and walked over. “Hey Jane. Mrs. Roberts.”

“Brooke, honey. I told you, call me Mary,” Mrs. Roberts said, the same warm smile on her face that I’d seen when I first met her.

“Right. You got it,” I said.

“We just came from the store. There’s some ice cream in here. Why don’t you girls help yourself?” Mrs. Roberts said, handing me a grocery bag.

“Thanks, Mary.” I followed Jane inside and set the ice cream down on the counter in the kitchen.

“Sorry about my mom,” Jane said as she searched for the ice cream scoop. “She can be a littler overly friendly.”

“It’s okay. I think she’s really nice.”

Jane passed me a bowl and spoon. I took a seat at the table and she brought over the ice cream.

“I wish my parents were more like that. I mean, they’re nice people, but they barely know any of my friends,” I said. Jane offered me the scoop first, so I pulled the lid off the carton and dug in. “They’re pretty much workaholics, so they’re not around too much.”

“Oh, sorry.” Jane sounded sympathetic.

I just shrugged, trying not to make a big deal about it. “So how was your first day?” I asked.

“It wasn’t excruciatingly painful,” she said.

“Well that sounds optimistic.”

“I ran into this guy. Like, I literally ran into him and fell on my ass in the middle of the hall.”

I wanted to be sensitive, but I couldn’t hold back my laughter. “What happened?”

“He was actually really nice about it and walked me to my first class, which he was in by the way.” As she spoke, she was smiling from ear to ear.

“Damn, Roberts. One day in and you’ve found yourself a man.”

She started to blush. “Oh no, he was just being nice. It was nothing,” she said. “I mean, he did sit next to me in class, but that was nothing.”

I shook my head, taking another bite of ice cream. “It sounds to me like you’re in denial.”

“He doesn’t even know me though. How could he like me?” she asked. It physically hurt my soul that this girl severely lacked any self-confidence.

“Guys are not that complicated, Jane. If you’re pretty and you smell nice, you’re good to go.” Just then my phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw that Alex was calling me. I looked at Jane. “Do you mind if I take this?”

She shook her head and continued eating her ice cream. I hit send and put the phone to my ear. “Yell-O?”

“Where are you?” Alex asked.

I must have been at Jane’s longer than I’d thought. I checked the time on my phone and realized I’d been here for over forty-five minutes. “The door’s open. I’ll be right there.” I hung up and looked at Jane. “You want to come?”

“She would love to!” Mrs. Roberts called from the other room.

“Oh my God…” Jane muttered under her breath, her face turning a faint red shade again. She got up and put our bowls and spoons in the sink. “Let’s go.”

“Bye girls!” Mrs. Roberts said as we walked outside. I bit my tongue to keep myself from giggling as Jane picked up her pace.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got a little impatient and decided to post the next chapter. Let me know what you guys think :)

-K