Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

11

Olivia’s work took place four times a week, giving her two days with Lula. This however meant she had to find daycare for Lula, who wasn’t very pleased with the idea as Olivia had enrolled her in Tiny Tots four times a week, Lula was outraged.
“I don’t want to go!” she screamed, stomping her tiny feet, her small fists shaking, her face almost beetroot red, and tears streaming down her face. Olivia felt so guilty, she wasn’t sure she’d be able to actually do it. But lately, she had been looking up parenting skills on the web and it told her to stand firm.
“Tallulah, you’re going to make new friends, and play with lots of toys…” Olivia said, as she collected spare clothes for Lula, packing them into the baby bag. Olivia had to be work in an hour, it was already seven o clock, and Lula was having none of it.
“I’m not going!” she chanted over and over again, and decided that her best option was to lock herself in the bathroom, little did she know that Olivia could unlock the door from the outside now, a little baby gadget she brought ages ago.
“Tallulah Marie Greene, do not test my patience anymore.” Olivia said sternly, taking Lula’s hand firmly and pulling her slightly out the doorway.
“No!” Lula screamed, hitting Olivia.
Olivia had enough and picked Lula up, and slung the bag around her shoulder. She left the flat with a screaming child, and funny stares. She strapped Lula in her seat, and drove to the nursery, a headache coming on severely.
As they entered, Lula silenced.
“See, not so bad…” Olivia enthused, and Lula just stared at the new toys scattered everywhere. Olivia signed her in, filling in forms and took Lula into the ‘Welcome Room’ where the little ones gathered, and said goodbye to parents.
“Hello there, I’m Kirby, you must be Miss Jones….and this must be Tallulah!” a woman, looking in her thirties with bright red hair and lovely, soft green eyes. She had a slight plump figure, but she had a lovely heart shaped face. In fact, she was quite pretty. Olivia smiled politely.
“I see you’re a newbie, have no fear your child will be in safe hands…” Kirby reassured, smiling brightly. Olivia allowed Lula to slide down, but Lula immediately clutched to Olivia’s jean clad legs. Kirby watched, seeing the clinginess of the little girl. Olivia looked petrified and was very tempted to pick Lula up and take her out now…
“Really, it’ll be fine. Has Tallulah been to a day care before?” Kirby asked interestedly. Olivia gulped.
“Um, I’m not quite sure…I’m her guardian.” Olivia said carefully, not really wanting to mention Anna. Kirby’s features softened to sympathy. “Ah, that’s quite alright Miss. Jones, but rest assured that Tallulah will be safe here and have plenty of fun.” Olivia nodded
“Thank you, so could you tell me what the routine is?” Olivia asked, and Kirby dove straight into what Tallulah would be doing that day, what time she would eat, and all the necessary information. By half past eight, everything was settled. It was now time to say goodbye.
“Okay Lula, time for me to go.” Olivia said, kneeling down to look at Lula. Her little eyes were red, her nose too. Olivia felt awful leaving her.
“You going to be a big girl for me?” Olivia offered, and Lula who jumped at the chance to be older, shook her head and began to cry again, but quietly this time. She cuddled into Olivia’s body, hugging tightly.
“Livvy, don’t go. Please take me home.” She begged desperately, she didn’t want to be here.
“I promise Lula, I’ll pick you up at three, and then we can go home. You’re going to have so much fun!” Olivia said, attempting to stay upbeat.
“No I won’t.” Lula replied defiantly. Olivia smiled slightly, and kissed Lula’s head, stroking her soft curls.
“I love you Lula.” She whispered, kissing her head again.
Lula didn’t reply, and Olivia let her go. Lula stayed where she was when Olivia walked out, and when she waved goodbye too. Olivia felt Tiny Tots feeling she murdered someone.
---
With some speeding, Olivia managed to get to work on time. Joe greeted her with friendly smile an apron, he even bothered to ask how her day was. Ryan, much to Olivia’s disappointment, was not there. She hadn’t thought to look when they would be working together. Joe gave Olivia a list of things to and without hesitation she got started, her mind never off Tallulah.
It wasn’t till lunchtime, and Olivia was eating a sandwich quickly outside, at the back. It wasn’t a nice setting, with the bins near; the smell was disturbing of rotten food. The sound of cars could be heard, and constant chatter of people walking nearby. The floor was all concrete, but there a bench, and a table with an ashtray on the top. She sat on the bench feebly, picking at her sandwich, she wasn’t even hungry.
“Has it offended you?” a voice made her jump, and Olivia looked up, seeing the handsome face of Ryan Harriet, giving her a cheeky grin.
“What?” Olivia voiced her confusion.
“The sandwich, has it offended you?” he teased, sauntering down the steps, within two strides he was by her and sat down casually, leaning forward on his knees, just like Olivia was doing.
“How’s your first day going then?” Ryan asked curiously, watching her. Her face was so pale, so tired looking; her eyes seemed to have lost hope. Her lips parted, and the tiny beauty mark on her cheek, hardly noticeable unless you were where Ryan was sitting. Their knees brushed, and a tingle went up them both.
“It’s alright.” Olivia said bluntly, not really sure what she should say. Ryan nodded, and kept quiet, listening to the noises that occupied the air.
“Can I tell you something?” Ryan said, and Olivia nodded without looking at him.
“When I first started here, I thought I was going to get fired, I dropped seven plates, broke the dishwasher, and almost poisoned a woman as I spilt chilli in the coffee pot without realizing…” Ryan said, and before he could finish, Olivia blurt out a laugh, a real, genuine smile that made Ryan surprised.
“You find my misery amusing Olivia?” he teased, an Olivia bit her lip, trying to hold back another giggle.
“How can you almost kill someone on your first day?” she asked curiously, and Ryan sighed.
“Apparently I’m more then capable. It was a complete accident, I didn’t realize I had knocked the bottle over…until this poor woman was choking and gasping for air. Joe had to call an ambulance, and Tanya quit that day because she thought I would do the same to her…” Ryan explained, laughing at the memory.
“Why would she quit?” Olivia asked confused. Ryan grinned.
“Tanya was a girl from Russia, a foreign exchange and I now realize that perhaps making Communist jokes weren’t the best idea when we first met, anyways she hated me from the very minute I started, and when she discovered the chilli incident, she told Joe it was for her own safety…” Ryan said, and Olivia couldn’t stop smiling at his rather amusing story.
“Seriously?” she asked in disbelief.
“Yep, Joe had to let her go. Shame, she was pretty hot.” Ryan said, smirking and Olivia rolled her eyes, but was still grinning.
“And a little birdie told me that you’re day was going good anyways, so why you out here sitting on your lonesome, looking like you’ve had the worst day?” Ryan teased, and Olivia’s smile faltered.
Ryan watched carefully, as the tiny source of happiness of her face diminished. “Want to talk about it?” he offered, seeing that there was more to it. Olivia shrugged.
“Nothing to talk about, it won’t change anything.” Olivia said dully. Ryan raised an eyebrow.
“How do you know?” he asked, rubbing his hands slowly together.
“Look, I appreciate it but I don’t want to discuss my personal life with you okay?” Olivia said exhaustedly, rubbing her head, covering her eyes. Ryan, who would have usually taken offence, he patted her tense shoulder.
“Sure thing, I’ll be inside if you need me, Joe told me to tell you that your break is almost over…” he said, getting up. Olivia didn’t want him to leave, but didn’t say anything to stop him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter, please comment :)