Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

13

That evening, Olivia made the excuse she cut herself and bandaged her wrist up, and it covered a bit of her hand also. It was now extremely sore and itchy. She knew it would scar, and she knew she would always be reminded of it.
That night, Olivia cried herself to sleep in the living room, when she awoke she threw up in the kitchen sink, she had a dream of Anna cursing at her for being such a failure. That ruined her day entirely. Lula was taken to nursery without a hint of a tantrum this time, and Olivia mumbled a soft goodbye. When she arrived at work, Joe and Ryan knew something was wrong.
“You alright Liv?” Joey asked, as he was making a pot of coffee. Olivia who was biting her lip while putting her apron on, looked up startled. “Yeah, I’m fine…why?” she asked quickly, and did the mistake of tucking a curl behind her ear, revealing her bandaged hand.
“What you done?” Ryan asked, sounding worried. Olivia swallowed and blinked before answering, this gave her enough time to lie.
“I tripped, I’ve sprained my wrist.” Olivia said, and both men looked concerned. “How’d you trip?” Ryan asked. Joe watched as her eyes flickered, she was lying, he knew that.
“One of Lula’s toys, didn’t see it, went flying…” Olivia said, trying to laugh to lighten the mood. Ryan gave a sympathetic smile. “Been to A&E Liv?” Joe asked curiously, and Olivia’s eyes snapped to him.
“What is this, an interrogation?” she laughed off, but the bitter tone was heard. Joe knew not to push it, so merely shrugged. Ryan gave a meek smile and they worked in silence. The day dragged on, and not much happened well until somebody oddly familiar walked in.
Olivia didn’t notice, and it wasn’t until she went to go serve the person, she looked up and almost collapsed. It was Jacob’s brother, Callum, more likely known as Cal. Cal looked exactly Jacob, despite their three year age difference. Olivia stared, mouth gaping as Cal looked at her.
“Livvy?” he said faintly, his brown hair sweeping in his eyes. Olivia couldn’t speak, or even breathe.
“Cal…” she replied finally, in a whisper. Cal stood up suddenly, and hugged her, actually hugged her and Olivia was frozen, until she slowly wrapped her arms around him. They hugged firmly, and ignored the odd stares.
“Oh god, Liv…” Cal mumbled suddenly, and then began to cry suddenly and Olivia didn’t blame him. He cried softly, and in a way manly. She knew it was hard for him, just as her. They hadn’t seen or spoke since the funeral, but it was nice to see someone she knew, someone who was sharing her pain too. Joe glanced over, and saw the young guy crying on Olivia.
“Liv, bring him into the office…” he said, and Olivia nodded, and led Cal upstairs to Joe’s living room. When they got there, he gathered himself together.
“What are you doing here Cal, shouldn’t you be in college?” Olivia mumbled, as she looked at the 17 year old, who was sniffling. He wiped his eyes with his sleeve, and glared at the ground.
“I’ve dropped out.” He said blankly. Olivia sighed.
“Cal…” she began.
“How’s my girl? How’s my beautiful baby Lula?” Cal asked suddenly, his voice quivering. Tears welled in his eyes. Olivia edged a bit closer, and put an arm around him.
“Lula’s okay, she’s doing okay….” Olivia reassured him as he blinked the tears away. Cal nodded, smiling weakly, his lip trembling.
“And how about you Liv?” he asked, wiping his eyes again. Olivia sighed. There was a silence, the sound of their breathing, and that annoying loud clock could be heard.
“I’m falling apart.” Olivia whispered, gripping his shoulder. Cal tensed.
“Glad to know I’m not the only one…” Cal mumbled. Olivia nodded silently.
“It’s almost three months Liv, three months since they’ve been gone and I still can’t believe it. I still can’t believe their gone…” Cal muttered, sniffing.
“Me neither Cal, me neither.” Olivia mumbled.
Another, awkward, tense silence went by. “Come and see her Cal, Lula misses you.” Olivia said suddenly, selfishly wanting his company also. She had missed seeing Cal often. Round Anna’s and Jake’s, Cal would often be there.
“What time?” Cal asked hopefully, Olivia smiled weakly.
“Six, come at six, you can help me with bath time and a story.” Olivia said softly, and Cal nodded, and since the news of his brother and his practically sister-in-law’s death, Cal felt hope. He felt hope.
“Count on it.” Cal said, his voice croaky.
---
“Who was that?” Ryan asked curiously when Cal left.
“A close friend,” Olivia replied softly, as she was getting some cups ready.
“Is he alright?” Ryan asked, just out of interest. He did feel slightly odd when Olivia hugged him, but ignored it quickly.
“He will be.” Olivia replied bluntly. Ryan nodded, and smiled and Olivia smiled back.
---
Cal arrived at six exactly, and Olivia welcomed him in her flat, he had gone directions off her earlier, and she noticed he had shaved and even dressed up, smartly in jeans and blue and black chequered shirt. His hair looked better, softer even. He had made an effort.
“You look better.” Olivia said, letting him through the door.
“Thanks, you too.” He said, and Olivia looked down at herself, she had showered earlier and put on some black leggings, along with a light blue denim tunic dress, a thin brown belt wrapped around her waist, and it had to have new holes put in it, as she had lost so much weight lately. Cal noticed this, but didn’t comment. Her hair was up for a change, a messy bun which looked rather sexy, thought Cal. He had never had romantic or sexual thoughts of Olivia, but he couldn’t deny she was extremely attractive. When his friends had been round Jake’s and Olivia was there, they always joked that Cal was a lucky bastard, because he always got to hang around with her.
“What can I get you to drink?” Olivia offered, closing the door and leading Cal in the flat.
“Just coke please…” he said, and looked curiously around for Lula.
“Tallulah, sweetie…come see who’s here…” Olivia called, and Lula’s head popped around from their bedroom, and she grinned suddenly.
“Uncle Cal!” she shrieked, and skipped over, and Olivia watched as Cal’s face lit up and he picked her up high, above him, smiling at her.
“Lula, you beautiful lady, look how you’ve grown!” he admired, kissing her cheek. Lula giggled and hugged him tightly, arms around his neck.
“I missed you Uncle Cal…” she murmured softly, kissing his cheek.
“I missed you too Lula, I’m sorry I didn’t visit sooner.” Cal replied, feeling guilty for not coming to see his niece earlier.
“It’s okay.” Lula replied, and slid down as Cal placed her on the floor, Olivia returned into the living room with drinks, and handed Lula a lidded plastic cup, filled with milk.
“Lula, drink this….bath time in twenty minutes alright babe?” Olivia said, and Lula nodded and drank her milk eagerly. Cal watched his niece with fascination, she had grown her hair slightly longer, and she had grown a little. Cal then watched Olivia as she fussed over Lula, making sure she didn’t drink too fast as she would get hiccups. Cal knew that despite she was young, Olivia was the right choice for Lula’s guardian, not his parents, not Theresa, but Olivia, Olivia was the best option.
Cal always knew that Anna had good judgement, besides she had chosen his brother.
---

After bathing, and putting Lula to bed. Cal and Olivia made themselves comfortable in the living room, Olivia drinking some tea, and Cal on his third coke. They had been random talking for a while, feeling lighter somehow when a serious topic came up.
“They don’t hate you, you know.” Cal said suddenly, speaking of his parents Christine and Martin, they weren’t angry at the fact that they were not chosen as their granddaughter’s guardians. Olivia however, did not understand.
“Excuse me?” she asked confused, tucking her hair behind her ears.
“My parents don’t hate you.” Cal repeated and Olivia realized what he meant, and she sighed.

“I don’t know Cal, I’m not cut out for this-“but before she could finish, Cal interrupted:
“Not ready? Olivia, you’ve been mothering Lula all night. Of course you’re cut out for this; otherwise Anna wouldn’t have chosen you.” Cal insisted.
Olivia bit her lip. “Anna could have made a more sensible choice.” She said carefully. Cal searched her face, and smiled weakly.
“My brother and Anna adored you, they adored the fact you loved Lula so much. They’ve chosen you for a reason, a reason I stand by.” Cal said fondly, and Olivia’s eyes flickered to him, she realized how much he looked like Jake. Such similar eyes.
“What’s the reason Cal?” she wanted to know so badly. Cal gave a smile of reassurance, which calmed her slightly. “The fact you’ll love and care for that little girl more than anyone else could.” He replied firmly, and Olivia’s eyes filled with tears of fondness, she gave teary smile and reached over and hugged him.
“Thank you.” She whispered, and Cal didn’t reply but simply hugged her back. Olivia slept half a night’s sleep that night, but she woke up positive that it was better than nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter for you lovely people, please comment :)
It really does help me for motivation :) and wish me luck for my exams, I'm sooooo nervous :P <3