Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

02

Anna shouldn’t have died. Olivia knew that, in fact everybody knew that. Anna was a good person, she never deserved to die. She shouldn’t have, it’s a simple fact. Nor should have Jacob, Anna’s boyfriend since the beginning of high-school. They were two, madly in love people that loved and respected life. Accidentally, Anna got pregnant in her last year of high school.

It wasn’t ideal, and for Jacob his dreams of being a musician were over. Anna and Jacob stayed side by side, battling through the ugly looks and whispers. They were strong, and Olivia admired that. She supported them both through it. In fact, she was honoured as she was crowned unofficial aunt of their baby daughter, Tallulah, born 7th May 2008.
Anna and Jacob were young parents but still proud of their baby girl. They had gone out that evening for their annual date; they still managed to find time. Theresa, Anna’s bitchy mother babysat while Olivia was relaxing in her own flat, in London. She had moved there when she was accepted in one of the best colleges around. Anna and Jacob lived in their own home, a small home, but still theirs about an hour away in the London suburbs. It was 17 miles from their home, that they were killed. A huge, construction lorry appeared out of nowhere and hit them head on, Jacob died instantly and Anna died on the way to the hospital. It was all over the papers, not that Olivia bothered to look, she was too busy sobbing inside of her flat, wishing she was the one that died.

That is what happened, it was an accident, an extremely unfortunate accident that no one can repair, and although relatives and friends were mourning, they still wondered about Lula’s welfare, and it is now apparent almost a month on from the accident, that Tallulah was being designated to Olivia, Anna’s best friend.

This is where the story now begins.

--

“Mum, I need to tell you something.” Olivia said nervously, two hours later on. Julie Jones, often called ‘JJ’ by her husband, or just Jay to close friends perched on her sofa, waiting anxiously for her daughter to reveal what was bothering her.

The toll of Anna’s death had affected Olivia badly, and Julie worried deeply. Obviously, she herself was heartbroken but nothing compared to Olivia. Her daughter’s face showed severe fatigue, lack of food, and her eyes were red. She had been crying.

“What’s wrong Liv?” Julie asked softly, sipping her sweet tea.

“You know Lula?” Olivia said, swallowing. Julie put her tea down, knowing it was serious.

“Of course I do…” Julie dreaded what came next.

“Anna’s Will says I should be her guardian.” Olivia said her voice cracking. Julie stared in shock, in huge disbelief as what she was hearing.

“You? But Livvy, you’re just a child…” Julie said, stunned. Olivia burst into tears, and her mother instantly comforted her. “It’s not fair! Anna should be here!” Olivia sobbed, for god knows how long. After half an hour, and finally controlling herself, Julie and Olivia sat down properly with tea and biscuits, and talked rationally about Anna’s somewhat reckless decision.

“Sweetheart, you’re 19 years old…you have college to think of!” Julie said firmly yet softly, as she placed a warm hand on her daughter’s shaking shoulder.

“You think I don’t know that. But I have to do this…if I don’t, that bitch will get her…” Olivia cried gently, and without having to say, Julie knew who Olivia meant.

“What about other choices, like fostering?” Julie stupidly asked. Olivia stared coldly at her mother, wondering on earth she could even say that.

“Mum! It’s Anna’s baby, practically my niece. I can’t abandon her, I can’t throw her off like some toy!” Olivia argued fiercely, unknowing as how protective she was being. Julie stared in surprise, and nodded meekly, muttering a soft apology.

“Well, what are you going to do?” Julie asked, watching her daughter’s glistening eyes.

“I’ve already decided. I’m keeping Lula with me I’m collecting her from Theresa’s tomorrow morning.” Olivia mumbled, looking down. Julie immediately shot up, angrily.

“Olivia Jones! How could you make this decision without consulting me?” Julie shrieked, appalled. Olivia glared, suddenly furious as how irrational and how uncaring her mother was being, she too stood up.

“Because it’s not your decision to make, I’m 19 Mum! Yes I’m young but I’m also legally an adult. I am legally allowed to do this and I am going to!” Olivia argued, her fists clenching, her heart breaking all over again.

“Listen to me young lady, you may not live here anymore but my opinion still counts in your life! You will be ruining yourself if you do this, you will have to give up everything for a child that’s not even yours, that child isn’t your mistake!” Julie shouted fiercely, banging her hands down on the table. Olivia’s mouth dropped slightly, and her mother’s eyes glared into her own, both the same icy blue colour. Olivia suddenly wanted to slap her mother, to knock sense into her or perhaps the words she said out.

“How dare you. How dare you say that! Anna was my best friend, and she’s asked me personally to take care of her most prized gift, her daughter and you expect me as decent human being to walk away. If so, then shame on you.” Olivia hissed, hatred dripping at the tip of her tongue. Julie’s eyes flickered, stunned. Her breathing heavier, her heart pounding, and her fists sweating.

“Get out.” She muttered, not wanting to see her daughter’s disgusted face.

“I’m leaving anyways.” Olivia snapped, grabbing her handbag and heading for the door, just before she disappeared, she stopped and loitered, turning around swiftly and looked at her mother’s back.

“Anna’s gone Mum. Lula is the only part left of her, and I’m going to do everything I can to keep at least some of Anna with me. I just wish you could support me in my decision, like mothers should do.” Olivia said, boldly yet regretfully. It was too late as she left her old home, leaving her mother behind, crying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second Chapter, I'm really excited about this....
Thank you to the commenters, it really is appreciated :) <3