Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

24

“How’s my gorgeous girly?” Olivia cheered that late evening. Lula was looking rather tired. Eddie smiled at the little girl that was falling asleep on his lap, curled up against him. The television was on quietly. Ted and Julie had gone out for a drink, leaving Eddie to babysit. His girlfriend, now fiancée was out late with work. So this left him playing Barbie Dolls for the day.

“Asleep.” Eddie announced as Lula couldn’t fight the fatigue and fell asleep.

“Aw, bless her. Sorry for being so late, we got caught up.” Olivia said sheepishly, and Eddie grinned.

“I don’t mind…besides, you look so-“ he paused, wondering whether he should say it. Olivia looked at her brother curiously.
“Happy.” He finished, and Olivia half smiled.
“I’m better.” She said honestly, and Eddie picked Lula up, and stood up. He hoisted Lula on his hip, smiling at her.
“She’s a great kid.” He said, and Olivia smiled proudly.
“Just like her Mum.” Olivia whispered.
“You can see Anna in her everywhere…”Eddie said, and Olivia nodded.
“Thanks for looking after her, I owe you.” Olivia said, picked up Lula’s bag.
“Any time. I kind of…need the practice.” Eddie said. Olivia’s eyes widened.
“Is Jazz-?” Olivia said shocked, and Eddie shook his head.
“We’re trying. I mean, after we’re married, we’re moving into a bigger place. She wants three kids, I want four…so you know…” Eddie said and Olivia smiled softly.
“You’ll be a great Dad, I can see you being there at every footie game and dance rehearsal.” Olivia said proudly. Eddie smiled.

“Well you’re already a great mother-guardian to Lula. You’re ahead of the game Livvy.” Eddie murmured, as they slowly walked to the door. It was cool out, so Olivia draped her jacket over Lula as Eddie carried her to the car.
Strapping her in, Olivia closed the back door gently. “Thanks Eddie. For everything.” Olivia said, and hugged her brother tightly. Eddie’s head rested on his sister’s, as he embraced her back.
“I’m here for you always, you know that?” Eddie mumbled. Olivia nodded, feeling suddenly very emotional.
“You too Ed.” They let go of one another and Olivia kissed his cheek.
“I’ll call you in the week.” She said, and went round to her driver’s seat, and got in the car, and drove off. Her brother waving after her.
---
“You know what?” Olivia said, Ryan and Olivia were sitting cross-legged, facing one another, Lula was in the bedroom, having a nap.
They were playing with one another’s hands… “What’s that?” Ryan said, as he held her hand softly, stroking her back hand.
“I was thinking today…how someone can make such a mistake.” Olivia mumbled. She felt sad today, today was a bad day.
“Who Livvy” Ryan asked gently, he knew this was a serious conversation.
“The man who killed my best friend, Andrew something….a man who drunk himself to an oblivion then got in his work truck and smashed into their car. Anna’s car, and they died. Just like that. How can someone make that much of a mistake?”
Ryan tensed. His father had killed Anna and Jacob. He knew that now, he knew about the car accident, but he didn’t think it was a drunk driver. He knew it now, it had to be his own flesh and blood that would ruin this for him. Ryan had to tell her, about how his stupid, bastard of a father did the deed. He stared at her, in somewhat shock. He didn’t know what to do.

“What’s wrong?” Olivia asked worriedly.
Ryan gulped, he had to tell her. He didn’t want to.
It would ruin everything.
“Nothing.” Ryan whispered faintly, and that’s when he realized, he too had made a mistake.
“Do you think justice is being served on him? Do you think Anna’s death has been justified?” Ryan looked hopelessly at her.
“What am I saying? Anna’s death will never be justified.” Olivia quickly corrected herself, and sighed. She climbed into Ryan’s lap, curling up close to him, a bit like how Lula had done to Eddie.

“I hate him. Whoever he is.” Olivia whispered, and that was something Ryan could agree on, the hatred of his father.
----

Another two days later, and Ryan invited Olivia around for dinner, she was nervous to say the least. Ryan was still thinking about what Olivia had said a few days ago, he couldn’t deny the fact he felt incredibly guilty for not revealing who Ryan’s father was. But, selfishly, he couldn’t lose Olivia..
“We’re so glad you could join us for dinner Olivia…” Jenny said, as she served the broccoli. Olivia gave a warm smile, and her hand was squeezed gently by Ryan, who smiled sweetly at her.
“Thank you for inviting me.” Olivia replied happily, sipping the water that Ryan had served her previously. Tom, who had been in the kitchen to collect the mashed potatoes, walks in…
“I also just wanted to say we are deeply sorry for your loss of your friend.” Tom said, smiling sympathetically. Olivia’s heart jumped in pain, but Olivia kept the brave smile. Ryan loved her more for it, and squeezed her hand reassuringly. Tom seated himself, as did Jenny and then it was what Tom said that ruined everything.
“If only we could turn back the clock so our father didn’t ruined lives-“ Tom began, but Olivia froze, and Ryan tensed.
“Sorry…your father? What does he have to do with this?” Olivia asked confused, and her hand went limp from Ryan.
“Andrew was intoxicated that night, he was the one who was driving…” Tom explained, confused also as he believed his brother to have told her beforehand.
“Wait….your Dad was the one driver! The drunk driver!” Olivia snapped, her anger beginning to rise.
“We thought you knew-“ Jenny began.
Olivia’s head snapped to Ryan’s direction. “You knew this? You knew that your Dad killed Anna?!” Olivia spat furiously, her heart breaking all over again.
Ryan sighed. “Liv, I can explain-“ Ryan never got to finish his sentence.
“How dare you! How dare you keep this from me!” Olivia shouted, outraged and stood up viciously, the chair scraping back and almost toppling over.
“Olivia, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have-“ Tom began, feeling guilty.
“Your father murdered her, he murdered my best friend!” Olivia sobbed, covering her mouth in shock. Ryan stood up, to comfort her but Olivia flinched away and that killed Ryan a bit inside.
“You lied to me!” Olivia screamed, glaring at Ryan, her own boyfriend with a cold stare.
“Livvy…”
“Don’t call me that!” Olivia snapped. Ryan stepped forward, but it was the wrong move, and it caused Olivia to push him away.
“Don’t touch me, don’t come near me! You disgust me!” Olivia screamed, and just as Ryan tried to pull her back, she ran out the room, slamming the door as she left the house. She never saw his heartbroken face, as she left.
It was raining, thunder was rumbling but Olivia didn’t care as she ran as fast she could, desperate to get to her family home, to get Lula. She needed Lula, she needed Anna, but Lula was all she could get.
♠ ♠ ♠
What you think? Please provide feeback, it really helps :)
<3