Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

26

It was remarkable on how awkward the situation was, when Olivia continued to work within Ryan’s reach, each day he apologised, each day she ignored him. It rounded up to almost a week; it was that Sunday evening, Olivia just got in from work, carrying Lula on her hip when the phone rang. Olivia quickly put Lula down, locking the door and quickly bolted over to the phone.
“Hello?” Olivia said in the receiver, tucked between her left ear and shoulder, as she helped Lula take her jacket off.
“Is that Miss. Jones?” the voice replied, and Olivia recognized it to be Evan.
“Is that Evan?” she replied softly.
“Why yes it is, I’m calling with good news.” Evan laughed.
“Oh yeah? Go on then, brighten my day…” Olivia joked tenderly.
“Well, I’ve spoken to the landowner, Miss. Willis, she’s come to an agreement of reducing the rent to £100 a week, do you find that reasonable?” Evan asked, and Olivia smiled. She could manage that.
“That’s brilliant!” Olivia squealed happily, and Lula looked up at Aunt Liv curiously, she was happy to see Aunt Liv smiling…she hadn’t smiled all week. A real one anyways.
She listened as Evan chuckled. “Ah good to hear, well if I post some forms over to you in the next few days, Miss. Willis is happy for you to move in by next Sunday possibly?” Evan said and Olivia’s smile grew.
“Ah fantastic! Thank you so much!” Olivia said genuinely.
“You’re welcome Olivia, it was pleasure working for you.” Evan replied.
“Talk to you soon.” Olivia said, and Evan said a goodbye, before Olivia hung up, throwing the phone on the sofa. She squealed happily, and spun around quickly.
“Lula! We’ve got it! We’ve got the flat!” Olivia cheered, grinning. Tallulah didn’t really understand but she liked feeling happy, and excited. So Lula decided she should squeal too.
“Yay!” she said, and ran to Aunty Liv, hugging her legs. Olivia immediately picked her up, bouncing her on her own hip. Olivia danced around, spinning with Lula, who shrieked with laughter.
“We’re moving, we’re moving, we’re moving!” Olivia sang, half chanting, half singing. Lula soon caught on, and they both sang “We’re moving.” Repeatedly, and danced around like small children, well one of them was…
Olivia and Lula collapsed on the sofa, giggling as Olivia tickled the little girl. “Aw sweetheart, you get your own room! I can have my bed back!” Olivia teased, and Lula gave a toothy grin.
“Livvy.” Lula said, and Olivia looked at the girl, lying on top of her.
“Yes beautiful?” Olivia replied, stroking Lula’s hair, tucking it behind her ears. It was getting so long and curly now, in fact, she’d need a haircut soon.
“Did Ryan hurt you?” Lula asked worriedly. Olivia paused, trying to think of an answer, wondering how Lula could even understand what was going on.
“Yes darling, he has.” Olivia said softly, blowing gently on her face, Lula’s nose scrunch and she smiled.
“What did he do?” Lula asked, as she patted Olivia’s cheek, Aunty Livvy had such soft skin. Olivia smiled, and raised her hand to where Lula’s hand was, covering it. She put her hand around Lula’s tiny one, and squeezed gently, and then brought Lula’s hand to her lips, and kissed it multiple times, and Lula smiled, her Mummy use to do that.
“He broke my heart Tallulah.” Olivia whispered, and Lula’s eyes widened.
“How do you fix it?” Lula asked, and Olivia laughed slightly, not in a humorous way though.
“With time….and I have a secret weapon.” Olivia said, smiling gently at the child. Lula moved slightly, squashing Olivia for a second.
“What?” Lula whispered, in amazement.
“It’s a secret.” Olivia whispered back. Lula’s eyes widened more, and she stared in awe.
“I love secrets.” Lula whispered. Olivia smirked, loving how amazed and in the awe the little girl was.
“Promise to keep it?” Olivia teased, unknowingly to Lula.
“Promise.” Lula vowed.
“I have you.” Olivia whispered, and Lula grinned in pride. She was Aunty Liv’s secret weapon. Olivia wrapped her arms around the girl tightly, holding her close, enjoying her warmth.
“Livvy, would Mummy be mad if you be my new Mummy? Can I have two Mummies?” Lula suddenly asked, catching Olivia off guard.
Olivia smiled slightly, her heart pacing. She could feel her own heart. “You can have two Mummies if you want Lula, I don’t mind. Mummy wouldn’t be angry.” Olivia explained softly. Lula smiled.
“I love you Mummy.” She said sincerely, and Olivia felt her stomach churn slightly, but her heart fluttered. She loved hearing those words, but if only Lula’s real mother was alive. Anna would want this, would want Tallulah to be happy.
“I love you Tallulah, lots and lots.” Olivia said, kissing the small child’s hair. Lula squeezed Olivia’s hand. The two females stayed silent, their breathing heard between them. They stayed that for a while and as Olivia held her close to her beating heart, she knew right there and then. She would die without Lula now. She would never give in to Theresa. Lula was hers.
---
“Lula, you ready?” Olivia called that Saturday evening. Tomorrow was moving day, there had been no improvement or worsen with Ryan, in fact, they had barely talked. Joe had noticed the tension, but sensibly did not voice it.
“I’m not tired! I’m too excited!” Lula admitted, jumping on the sofa, and bouncing slightly. Her hair was in two plaits, and she looked absolutely adorable.
“I know sweetheart, but I need you full of energy for tomorrow.” Olivia chirped, and Lula grinned.
“Can I have a story?” Lula asked, and Olivia nodded, and rummaging around in one of the open boxes for her book. They settled down on Olivia’s bed for the last time, within twenty minutes, Lula was fast asleep and Olivia smiled. She was moving out. Finally.
---
“My goodness, look at this Lula, this is your brand new room!” Olivia cheered, as she carried Lula into the medium sized bedroom. It was a good size, cream carpets, and pale peach coloured walls, and a nice sized window, with a drape hanging down.
“We’ll get you a new bed, a big girl bed.” Olivia enthused, and Lula smiled. She liked that idea, and slid down Olivia and waddle into the room properly. This was her very own room, just like in her old house. When Mummy and Daddy lived with her.
“You going to help me unpack?” Olivia asked kindly, and Lula nodded. It took a long time, along with the help of Ted, Julia and Eddie, and a rental moving van, they managed to get everything in. Julia unpacked the kitchen first, Ted did the bathroom and living room, whereas Eddie helped Olivia with the bedrooms.
“So what you going to do about sleeping arrangements?” Eddie asked, as closed the wardrobe door that was built into the wall. Inside was Lula’s clothing and some toys.
“Well, I’m going to trade that damn crib in to Oxford for a second hand bed, I can’t afford anything new….” Olivia explained, glancing at the little girl who believed she was helping as she arranged her teddies and dolls on the windowsill.
“DAMN IT!” Teddy’s voice is heard, as something is banged. Olivia giggled.
“Don’t repeat that word Lula.” Eddie warned, and Lula nodded, silently promising. After Lula’s room was done. Eddie then took his leave, and said he would be back in an hour. Without questioning, Olivia set on her own room, putting fresh sheets on the bed, and packing her clothes away in her drawers. She was glad she was in a new place, it felt good. After everything was in place, Olivia decided lunch was in order. Ted and Julie had donated an old kitchen table to Olivia, and Ted had even spruced it up by painting over it a few days ago.
Julia assisted in making the lunch, which were just simple sandwiches and some fruit and yoghurt. Lula was seated by Ted, who kissed her head and smiled fondly at his wife and daughter.
“This place looks great Livvy, I’m so proud of you…” Ted said honestly, as he helped himself to some sandwiches.
“Thanks Dad. Thank you to both of you for helping me today.” Olivia said, and Julia smiled.
“You’re welcome sweetheart, anytime.” Julie said, and Ted nodded in agreement. The small family talked and bantered, feeling relaxed. Despite the worries that hung over them.
“So Olivia, how you going to pay for all of this?” Ted asked suddenly.
“Well I called my school, and I’ve decided that I can’t afford to keep going at college, I’ve spoken to my Dean and he said he felt disappointed but he understood my decision. So I’ve quit, I can’t cope with the pressure, along with mothering Lula. I’m going to quit my job at Joey’s and sign up to the job centre, I think with my GCSE’s I can get a better job that’ll help with bills. Also, I applied for benefits the other day, and the woman told me I’m eligible.” Olivia explained calmly. Julie stopped eating.
“You’ve quit?” she repeated, and Olivia nodded.
“But Livvy, writing was your dream.” Ted said sadly. Olivia shrugged, glancing at Lula who had yoghurt all over her mouth.
“I have Lula now Dad, she’s my priority now. Besides, maybe when she goes to school I’ll sign up for night classes.” Olivia said, she felt sad. She had made that call a few days ago, seeing as she wasn’t turning up to school, she was far too behind to get going again. So it was best to end it now.
“Olivia, you can’t-“
“I have Mum.” Olivia said firmly.
Julia stayed quiet, she knew how hard it was. She knew how much her daughter cared for Anna’s daughter, she knew the bond between them. She knew that despite the fact Olivia had surrendered her dream, Olivia had made the right decision and Julia had never been so proud. Being a mother was about making sacrifices.
“We’re here for you.” Ted murmured, and placed a hand over his daughter’s trembling one.
“Thanks.” Olivia whispered, and nibbled at her sandwich.
“Hello!” Eddie’s voice bellowed, as he let himself in.
“We’re having sandwiches!” Lula cheered, and Eddie’s laughter is heard.
“Ah brilliant. Liv, could you come outside for me?” Eddie asked by the door way. Confused, Olivia followed as Eddie led her outside. When Olivia saw the large truck in front of her, she stared at it, unsure of what to say.

“What’s this?” she asked. Eddie smirked.
“It’s Lula’s new bed.” Eddie said, and Olivia’s eyes widened.
“What?”
“Inside. I just brought it. Help me unload?” Eddie asked, Olivia stared.
“Eddie, I- you brought her a bed?” Olivia asked in shock.
“Don’t consider it charity. Just, think of it as a house warming gift.” Eddie assured as he knew his sister’s stubbornness.
“I can’t accept it, it’s too much.” Olivia insisted. Eddie shook his head.
“Too late, I’ve paid for it and you’re having it. Now c’mon, I want a sandwich before Dad eats them all.” Eddie teased, and Olivia went to go help unload Lula’s new bed, thanking Eddie continuously along the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally out, apologies for lateness.
Hectic over here, finding a job whatnot.
Please comment? <3