Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

06

“Livvy, you’re my best friend, you know that?” a 16 year old Anna told her closest, and dearest friend that Monday morning.
“What you done?” Olivia asked suspiciously, tucking a curl behind her ear, bringing her English folder close to her chest, for pointless protection.
“Nothing…why do you always assume-“ Anna began to argue. Olivia gave her ‘the look’ that defines where basically, she knew everything. Olivia knew Anna was lying.
“Okay, fine….well Jake and I….we’re thinking of you know-“ Anna said, nudging her, as if Olivia didn’t already know. Olivia stopped walking, shocked.

“Really?” Olivia asked, waiting for Anna to deny it. Anna nodded firmly, feeling nervous.
“Yeah, I’m ready for it.” Anna said.
“Wow, Annie….this is a huge step!” Olivia said, a bit too loudly for Anna’s own liking.
“I know, I know….but Jake and I love each other, we’ve been together, what a year? We’re ready Liv…” Anna convinced her best friend. Olivia sighed, not understanding why her feeling of worry isn’t going away.
“You have to be careful Liv, you might get as STI or pregnant…” Olivia began to ramble, but Anna simply smiled, and it scared Olivia.
“Livvy, babe….I’m going to be fine, but I just need you to say it’s okay.” Anna said softly, touching Olivia’s arm, forcing her to stop. Olivia sighed.
“What do you need my approval for Annie?” she asked suddenly, confused.
Anna smiled as if Olivia had said something amusing, and she patted her shoulder in a rather condescending way.
“Liv, you’re my best friend, you’re approval means everything to me. I want to make sure that you’re okay with it too and you thought it was okay, otherwise…I’d reconsider.” Anna said, completely honest. Olivia stared, unknowing as what to say.
“Really?” she managed to stutter out.
“Course…” Anna said simply. Olivia smiled suddenly, realizing, not for the first time, that her best friend was becoming more mature, every day.
“Yeah Annie, you are….” Olivia said faintly, and Anna grinned a huge grin, letting Olivia know she’d made the right decision. They linked arms and continued their way across campus, talking as if the conversation had never happened.


Olivia woke with a start, as the dream fluttered into the air, lost forever. It was four o clock in the morning and a small, warm, yet wriggling body was beside her. Olivia was suddenly parched so very gradually, got out of bed, allowing Lula to cuddle closely to her pillow. Olivia tiptoed out the room, into the cool kitchen. The streetlight from outside glared through the tiny window, giving some light as Olivia went to the fridge, she opened it quietly and the bottles chinked together. Olivia glanced over it quickly, finding what she needed. She got out a bottle of water, and opened it, glugging it generously into her dry mouth.
Finally rehydrated, Olivia allowed the cool air to cover her, she enjoyed the feel, the icy chill. She decided to leave the door open, just for a little while, and sat opposite, again it was only a small kitchen, so she wasn’t that far away, she sat cross-legged in front of the fridge, leaning back against the counter, and closing her eyes, hearing her own heartbeat in her ears.
Thump- thump-thump-thump-
Olivia didn’t realize she was crying, till her eyes blinked and the slow droplets of water fell off her cheeks rapidly. She tried to swallow the thump in her aching throat, but it refused to budge.
“Oh God…Anna…” Olivia cried softly, squeezing her eyes shut. Her nose tingled, her eyes burned and her heart broke into a million pieces all over again. This sadness, this horrid, destructive sadness refused to go away, Olivia couldn’t believe it. She literally did ache, ache to see Anna, ache to see her just smile again, and ache for Lula to see her mother.
“You shouldn’t have fucking died. You fucking-mother-fucking-fuck!” Olivia mumbled angrily, she clenched her fists, and slammed them on the needed-to-be cleaned-laminated flooring. She wanted to punch something, or rather someone and for some strange reason, she wanted it to be Anna.
“How dare you leave me, you bitch, you promised….you fucking promised-“ Olivia sobbed, angrily, frustrated, and overall, at her lowest. Olivia felt sickened, by the fact that she couldn’t stop being angry at Anna, despite her being dead, she was angry at her, angry at her for so many things, but the main thing was for Anna leaving Olivia, for leaving Olivia with a child that needed her real mother, a woman who would be a good role model, not her, not Olivia, who was falling to pieces.
Olivia cried till five in the morning, making so many empty wishes. She cried for Anna, she cried for Jake, she cried for herself, and she cried for Lula. When she next awoke, she awoke on the kitchen floor, and a pair of deep, brown eyes that for a second, through bleary eyes, Olivia thought was Anna. When she blinked, Anna was gone, and Lula was there.
“Lula?” Olivia whispered croakily, from crying last night. Her eyes sticky, her lips dry, and her throat sore.
“Why did you sleep in the kitchen Aunty Liv?” Lula asked, blinking innocently.
“I don’t know sweetheart….” Olivia said, slowly getting up, her head dizzy, and her neck cricked. Lula watched, fascinated as Olivia got up off the floor, and leaned against the sink for support.
“Aunty Liv?” Lula said suddenly.
“Yes Tallulah?” Olivia replied tiredly, yawning half-way.
“Can I have Coco Pops for breakfast?” Lula asked, and without realizing, gave Olivia even more guilt.
“Of course, beautiful…just let me go have a quick shower, why don’t I go put on Cbeebies for you?” Olivia said, trying to act cheerful. Lula nodded, and followed her into the living room. Olivia showered in scorching hot water, and quickly dressed, not even bothering with makeup or anything. She tried her half dried hair into a messy bun. She made Lula her breakfast, and a piece of toast for herself, with a strong cup of tea.
“Lula, Aunty Liv needs to go into school today, to tell them I need time off for a while, then I think it’s time we sort out your bed…” Olivia said this, but Lula wasn’t paying any attention.
After getting Lula washed and dressed, which took a lot longer than necessary, Olivia strapped Lula in her car seat, and drove to her college, where she was studying English Literature, Olivia had an ambition at some point to be a teacher, yet ever since Anna’s death, Olivia’s education is the last thing on her mind. It had been almost two months since she’d been into college, of course they understood everything, and today was the meeting of what the college hoped Olivia would come back, little did they now know, her current situation.
Being called into the Dean’s office, Mr Daniels was petrifying, as Olivia held Lula tightly on her lap. Lula, thankfully had been silent and not caused a scene, so far. Olivia was more than grateful, the receptionist which Olivia had seen many times, but could never remember the name of, called Olivia in and led the two females into Mr Daniels office.
Mr Derek Daniels, was 43 years of ages but believed himself to be 30, he was happily married, with two older children, as he was a father very young. He is well known for being very understanding, and plenty of students adore him, but as everyone does, some people do not like him. Mr Derek Daniels was a genuinely good guy, and that’s all that mattered.
“Miss Jones….oh, I see you’ve brought-“Mr Daniels said confused.
“I can explain later, sir.” Olivia said nervously, her stomach flipping. Mr Daniels gave a warm smile, and ushered her in, offering a seat. Olivia sat awkwardly, while Lula sat between her legs, playing with Grayham. Mr. Daniels sat opposite, space between them, and offered her a beverage.
“Just water, will be fine…thanks.” Olivia said quietly, watching Lula carefully, as she mumbled to herself and Grayham.
“So, how have you been Olivia, I know it’s been extremely hard since your dear friend passed…” Mr Daniels said softly, watching carefully for signs of depression. He saw them.
“Lula, sweetheart, go look at the fish….” Lula did, and put her face right up at the tank, looking at the beautiful fish in the tank.
“I’m a wreck sir.” Olivia replied bluntly, yet quietly. Mr Daniels nodded, as if he understood.
“And what have you come to discuss about today?” Mr Daniels asks. Olivia sighed, realizing she was about to give up everything she’d work for.
“I’d like to withdraw from all my classes, permanently.” Olivia said, and almost winced at the look. It wasn’t anger, nor annoyance, it was pure disappointment, hidden behind pity. The worse kind.
“Could you explain as why you want to make such a drastic decision?” Mr Daniels asked.
Olivia sighed. “That little girl was Anna’s daughter…” Olivia said, looking at Lula sadly, who was paying no attention. “And after Anna died, her custody was given to me…I can’t handle college and caring for a child, and I have to put Lula first.” Olivia said, without looking at the older man.
“Have you not thought of child care?” Mr Daniels offer, not wanting to lose such an intelligent, young student.

“With all due respect sir, I’m not in the capable mind set of learning, I have to try so hard to get out of bed, and actually feed myself. My best friend is gone, and Lula has been left in my care, and I am going to do my hardest to try and be the best guardian I can.” Olivia said confidently, but her voice broke, giving away the emotion.

Mr Daniels didn’t argue, but he didn’t agree. Instead, they came to the agreement that Olivia would have a further three months off before returning, they would check up again. This meant, Olivia would keep her place, and Mr Daniels wouldn’t lose one of his best students. Olivia and Mr Daniel’s filled in forms, and said a fond farewell, and Olivia left, with weight off her shoulders.
“Shall we go out for lunch Lula?” Olivia asked, as she strapped the little girl in, Lula nodded excitedly, not really understanding. Olivia smiled, and within fifteen minutes, they reached a cute, little, but far away, diner. Olivia seated herself down, and Lula sat across, and Grayham sat on the table, propped up by the salt shaker.
“Okay beautiful, what shall we have?” Olivia asked softly, wiping Lula’s cheek as a little smudge was on there.
“Pancakes!” Lula said, and Olivia froze, it was unbelievable on how she was like her mother. Olivia nodded stiffly.
“Pancakes, cool…” she said sadly, and then glanced over the menu. It was when a male voice made a interrupting noise, that she looked up again, to see a rather handsome face.

His head was full of thick, curly dark hair that flicked in his eyes slightly, with dark eyes that seemed to haunt you, he seemed so mysterious, like there was so much to know about him. He was tall, at least 6ft and had a good build, muscled but not too much, hidden by a grey t-shirt, and just about visible was a tattoo on his left arm, trailing down to his wrist, Olivia couldn’t really see it properly. His face was tanned, and his lips were pink and cute, a little beauty mark just above them, but overall, it was the look he was giving her.
The look was where no pity or any sympathy was to be found. Olivia liked that.
“What can I get you gorgeous?” he drawled out lazily, as if he didn’t really know what he just called her. Olivia was in a state of shock, from his appearance and the mere way he just spoke to her as if they were old friends.

“Um, can I get two pancakes for her and just a coffee for me please?” Olivia ordered, never taking her eyes away, she just couldn’t. She was completely captivated. He looked up from the pad, and gave a smile, it revealed nothing about him, just the fact he was utterly gorgeous. He disappeared was quickly as he came, an Olivia looked at Lula, who was playing with the small packets of pepper.

“Lula, you okay sweetheart?” Olivia asked, but Lula didn’t reply. It was an awkward silence, and Olivia almost praised out loud, when the handsome stranger returned with her order. He placed a plate of pancakes in front of Lula, and put a small jug of syrup beside her, and giving her a small knife and fork, child size obviously. Then, he gave Olivia her cup of coffee, but also a Danish pastry, which she had no recollection of ordering.
Just as the handsome guy was about to disappear again, Olivia got up and quickly touched his arm, not even noticing the lovely warm sparks travelling up her fingertips.

“Excuse, I didn’t order any food…” Olivia said confused. The guy smiled, lopsidedly. Olivia didn’t understand, as his head tilted ever so slightly, and he was looking her up and down. Olivia blushed slightly, and tried to sit back down, without looking an idiot.

“And I didn’t give you any.” He replied, clearly amused and winked, leaving Olivia confused and all fluttery. Olivia sat back down properly, and glanced at the appealing Danish. It had a cinnamon swirl in it, her favourite, not that he could have possibly known. Lula had already dug in, pouring the syrup generously without spilling, something she was extremely happy about.

“How is it babe?” Olivia asked the young girl. Lula looked up, grinning a sticky smile, and Olivia couldn’t help but giggle. Gradually, the smell of the warm pastry began to tickle Olivia’s sense, and slowly, she began to pick at it. As she ate a proper mouthful, she immediately wanted more, it tasted delicious and she immediately got another mouthful. By the end, both girls had finished their food and drink, feeling full and warm inside.
However, nearby, at the counter, making the hundredth cup of coffee that day, give or take one. Ryan Harriet watched the girl he served earlier eat. He didn’t know why, but he knew she needed saving. He just didn’t realize, he was the one to save her. When she left, Ryan smiled slightly at her empty plate that he picked up, and the tip underneath it. Without another thought on the rather beautiful girl that came into the diner that he worked in, Ryan finished his day at work, returning to a hot cooked meal with his family, Tom and Jenny asked about his day, and just like every day, Ryan replied:

"Fine.”

Even though, all three of the young people, knew it was a terrible, terrible lie.
♠ ♠ ♠
apologies for errors, it's late and I'm tired :)
But please give me some feedback, I really appreciate it!! :) <333