Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

08

“My boys.” The forty seven year old man croaked, from years of smoking. His grey eyes which none of his sons inherited stared at him in disgust, and he felt ashamed.

“Dad.” Tom said, staring at his father, he felt sour saying that word that the man didn’t deserve, as usual Ryan stayed silent, almost cowering behind his brother.
“You actually came.” Andrew said in disbelief, he hadn’t seen his two sons since what he did. What will forever haunt him.

“We’ve come to say goodbye.” Tom said, wanting to literally punch his own father. The anger brewing inside of him. Andy felt his heart sink, he wanted to cry out for forgiveness but he knew he’s never receive it

“Boys…I know what I did-“

“Don’t.” Tom interrupted; he didn’t want to hear it. He didn’t want to hear how his own father was an alcoholic, and how he was now a murderer.

“Tom please, I never meant for anyone to get hurt…” Andy begged, but before Tom could give a spiteful reply, Ryan beat him to it.

“Anyone to get hurt? Dad, you fucking killed them. They’re dead Dad! Because of you!” Ryan spat with venom in his voice. Andy flinched, feeling like he’d be slapped, then again he deserved it.

“I didn’t meant too..” the old man’s voice cracked, and tears filled his grey eyes. Tom shook his head, feeling like he could cry.

“We told you to go to rehab, we warned you…” Tom said, his fists clenching. Ryan needed to leave, he needed to get out. He couldn’t stand being there anymore. The dark grey concrete walls were closing in against him, the glass window between him and his father looked weak, he needed to leave, he could hear shouts of men in their cells, he could hear police officers, he could hear the misery. He needed to leave.
Ryan stood up abruptly. “If only you listened, you wouldn’t have made our lives hell.”

“You’re not the one in here!” Andy’s voice rose, angry and frustrated. It was entirely the wrong thing to do. Ryan scoffed.

“I’m not the one that killed two people, simply because he wouldn’t lie off on the booze.” Ryan spat viciously, and stormed out, his brother, Tom not far off behind him.

The two brothers strode side by side, as they walked to the tube station, ready to go home and once again pretend that their father wasn’t a murderer.
---
It was now Sunday, Olivia and Lula were lounging around the house again, mostly because Olivia didn’t have the energy to move.
Olivia was helping Lula with a jigsaw puzzle, they were contently doing so, when Olivia’s buzzer went off, she kissed Lula’s head quickly before getting up, and shuffling over to the intercom. She pressed the button and spoke.

“Hello?”

“Livvy, it’s me.” The voice of her brother replied. Olivia was shocked to say the least but she also very relieved for older company at last.

“Come up then.” She said, pressing the open button.
Moments later, and Eddie was greeted by Olivia. “Hey sis.” He murmured, as Olivia hugged him.

“Hi Ed, come meet Lula.” Olivia said quietly, Eddie had never had much contact with Lula, he probably only saw her once or twice.

“Lula, babe come meet Uncle Eddie…” Olivia said in a false, bright tone. Lula stopped what she was doing, and stood up, and toddled over to Olivia and Eddie.

“Hello” Lula said, surprisingly confident. Eddie bent down, and gave a gentle smile.

“Hello gorgeous, how are you?” Eddie said cheekily, and chucked Lula’s chin gently up with his finger. Lula blushed deeply, and ran to Olivia, hugging her legs tightly.

“Embarrassed much?” Olivia teased, but Lula just hid her head more.

“Cup of tea?” Olivia offered, and Eddie nodded. “I’ll get it Livvy…” Eddie said, and went into the kitchen.

“Lula, can you help me tidy this up?” Olivia asked, and they both set out to tidy away the puzzle. When Eddie returned he had made a cup of tea for himself, and his sister and gave Lula a cup, with a lid on, filled with orange squash.
When they settled down, with Lula wondering off into Olivia’s bedroom, hopefully not to cause a mess, leaving Eddie and Olivia to talk. Olivia was twirling a piece of her blonde hair, it desperately needed cutting. She rubbed her eyes tiredly, wondering how many hours she would get that night. Eddie felt distraught, he felt helpless which to him was possibly the worst feeling ever. Not being able to help his younger sister.
“So, how you coping?” Eddie asked, he was never one to beat around the bush. He was more of a straight-talking type of guy. Olivia sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, the smell of her tear drafting up her nose.
“Fine.” Olivia replied clipped, and Eddie watched as the worry line that traced across her forehead deepened, and he knew it was a lie.
“What to tell me the truth?” Eddie asked, slightly condescending.
“What do you want to me say Eddie?!” Olivia snapped, moving her hand and glaring at her brother with annoyance.
“You want to me to say everything is perfect? Or the fact that my life is over! My best friend is dead, I’ve lost my chances at making anything of myself, and I’m ruining Tallulah’s life by being the crappiest guardian ever! So what you want to me say Eddie, what you want to hear?!” Olivia snapped, lowly. She had to keep quiet in fear Lula would hear an understand any of it.
“The truth” Eddie replied calmly, placing a hand on her clenched fist which was balanced on her knee, as she sat all curled up in the corner, almost protectively. Olivia sighed, feeling the depression sinking into her mind again.
“The truth is…Anna is gone and no matter what I do or say, she’s never coming back.” Olivia said coldly, it wasn’t the truth but it wasn’t a lie, it was a statement to remind herself that her best friend had truly left her.

Eddie remained silent, knowing it was best to. He simply comforted his sister, by keeping his hand on top of hers, and watching her gently.
Half an hour later, Eddie made his exit, hugging his sister tightly goodbye and promising to call soon to check up on her. Olivia insisted it wasn’t necessary; Eddie agreed and told her that it wasn’t because he needed to, but because he wanted to. Olivia, feeling slightly better about her relationship with her brother, settled down to play with Lula again and knowing that she was going to sleep in her bed again that night.
---
It was another week later, and it seemed time was literally flying by. Olivia was in desperate need of money, as her funds were running low. When she was a full-time student, she had managed to get a grant from the college, now it had been suspended. Olivia, when she first discovered her taking care of Lula applied for Child Benefit, but even with that it was hardly anything support them both. So Olivia was determined to find a job and soon. In fact, as Olivia was driving around with Lula, trying to get her to calm down, it was a tantrum again as Lula didn’t want to leave the park, and was now refusing to have a nap. Olivia remembered that when she was a kid, she loved going in the car with her Mum or Dad because she always fell asleep, something to do with the motion. Olivia thought she’d use the old trick, sadly it wasn’t working. Olivia then recognized the café that she visited a week ago, and the guy that was extremely attractive worked there. Gasping for some sort of hydration and perhaps a slight bribe to Lula, she pulled into the café car park.
When Lula noticed their stopping, she calmed down and sniffled loudly, wiping her snotty nose on the back of her sleeve, and mumbled to Olivia where they were going.

“We need a drink don’t we sweetheart?” Olivia replied, and opening the door carefully, as she hoisted Lula up on her hip, afraid to drop her. The café was busier than before, and she saw no sign of any service people, particularly the waiter. Seating herself, Olivia calmed Lula down and asking her if she wanted a milkshake, a strawberry one. Lula did no hesitation in agreeing, a middle aged woman came and served them and Olivia ordered Lula’s drink and a Mocha Latte for herself. Olivia listened to the business of the room, hearing that someone was getting divorced, some elderly people had won the lottery, and finally, a breakup was happening in the corner. It was only moments later, the girl was storming out in tears, and the boy looking pleased with himself ambling after. Lula began to suck her thumb for comfort, and stared at her Aunty Liv in awe. Aunty Liv was so beautiful, with long beautiful locks like a princess, thought Lula.

“One strawberry milkshake for the little one, and a Mocha Latter for the pretty lady….” A familiar, charming voice was heard, Olivia looked up startled to see the handsome guy himself, giving her a cheeky grin. He was gorgeous, it had to be said. He looked even better this close, his eyes seemed to melt whenever she looked at him.

“Thanks” Olivia said as the waiter put the drink down in front of her, and Lula.
“No problem sweetheart, that’ll be 3.40 please…” he said, and Olivia fished out her purse, and paid.
“You’re not from the locals are you?” he said suddenly, as tucked the now empty tray under his arm, flashing another charming grin.
“No, we live just outside the centre of London…a nice little area.” Olivia said vaguely, not sure whether or not she should tell him.
He grinned though, which gave her sudden relief. “Ah nice, I live just about twenty minutes away, but it’s cool, the city centre is close by and I don’t have to deal with the business of it all…” the guy said, and Olivia couldn’t help smile.
“Well enjoy your drinks ladies….” He said, flashing a quick smile and turned away, leaving Olivia with a small amount of sinking disappointment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go, sorry for slowish update...I've had a really bad week so far and it probably won't get any better, so excuse the crappiness...

<3