It Started With A Dare

The Future Is Bulletproof

3 years later


“… Cassie Bryar …” I stepped up onto the stage, gliding over to Mr Rightworth to accept my diploma, shaking his hand and looking out into the crowd of people.

I spotted Bob immediately, on his feet and clapping loudly as he cheered, a wide grin on his face. Grinning back, I searched the sea of people for another familiar face until I found him, on his feet a few rows behind Bob, smile small but earnest. I made my way off the stage, over to where the rest of the students were sat, waiting for their turn.

Glancing up again, I found his eyes staring back at me, strands of black hair close to falling into them. Gerard and I had managed to stay together all this time, ever since my freshman year. Although we did have a small break up but it lasted only a few weeks, neither of us dated anyone else in that time, it was over something as stupid as what movie to watch at the theatre.

“… so be open to opportunity. And on that note, I wish you all the best in the future.” Mr Rightworth spoke to the crowd of students and their families, sparking a round of applause and shouts from the audience.

Students dispersed into the sea of people, finding their families so that they could be congratulated, given hugs and kisses. I got to my feet and went off in search of Bob, quickly finding him as he lifted me up in a tight hug before dropping me back to my feet.

“I’m so proud of you, Cass. I can’t believe you’ve finished high school.” Bob gushed, ruffling my hair.

I narrowed my eyes at him in all his facial haired glory. Yes, Bob had started to grow a beard but right now it just looked like a bit of scruff on his chin. “Does it make you feel old, granddad?”

“Hey, what does that make me then?” A second voice came, followed by a pair of arms wrapping around my waist from behind. I turned around in his grasp, grinning as I launched myself at him, arms grasping around his neck.

“You came.” I mumbled against his shoulder.

“Of course I came. I wouldn’t have missed this.” He responded, stroking my hair behind my ear and pecking my lips.

I hadn’t seen him since last week, we’d both been so busy with end of year exams that there wasn’t enough time for us to meet up at all. We’d usually see each other at least every Friday night, sometimes to go out on dates but most of the time to just play video games and make out in his apartment.

“I’m glad you’re here.” I told him, hugging him to me tighter.

“I’ll just be going then.” Bob cut in, making vomiting noises as he walked away.

“Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something.” Gerard started, hand on the inside of my elbow and leading me a little further away from the bubbling crowds of graduates.

“Okay, shoot.”

His hand moved from my elbow down to my forearm, fingers tracing over my inner wrist before taking a hold of my hand and interlacing our fingers. “Seeing as you’re going to be coming to college soon, I figured that you could maybe move in with me,” He said, thumb brushing over my knuckles. “It’d be easier for you with getting to classes and we wouldn’t have to be away from each other for so long. So, what do you think?”

I blinked, staring up at him. “You really mean it?”

He nodded, grinning. “Of course. You want to?”

“Of course I do, I’d love to!” I leant up on my toes to press a kiss to his lips, running my fingers into his hair as he held me closer. “C’mon, let’s go tell Bob.”

I pulled back from him and searched the crowd for Bob but that came up fruitless. Gerard suggested checking around the back, figuring that he’d probably gone off for a cigarette. He didn’t seem to be in any place that we looked but then we tried behind the stage and we were pretty surprised with what we found.

Bob had someone pressed against the back wall, hands in their dark hair and lips fused together, making out furiously. That someone wore a graduation gown. That some was Damien.

“Ahem?” I tried, eyebrows raised.

Bob jumped and I heard the telltale sound of lips smacking apart as he broke the kiss. He turned back to look at me with wary eyes, giving me a more clear view of Damien with his flushed cheeks and red lips parted in shock. They both stared at us; no one said anything for what seemed like a very long time.

“Care to explain?” I asked Bob.

Bob pulled back from Damien completely, turning to fully face me as he scratched at his beard. “I guess it’s pretty self-explanatory.”

I couldn’t help the smile that made its way onto my face, the bad cop persona melting away. “So. How long you been banging my best friend?” Gerard snorted from beside me.

Bob looked frantic for a moment. “It’s not like that, I swear.” He said.

Damien cut in, the beard burn on his chin catching my eyes. “It’s only been going on for a few months. But we kind of- it kind of started a few years back, in freshman year.”

My eyebrows rose even higher. “Seriously?” Damien nodded, breaking out into a small smile as he reached out a hand to tangle his fingers with Bob’s, making him look back at Damien and fail at repressing a grin. “I didn’t know that you were gay, Bob.”

Bob let out a short laugh. “Neither did I, but I think I’m only gay for Damien.”

“N’aw.” I cooed, grinning at them both. Bob shot me a glare, still staying close to Damien but then it stopped, they both jumped apart from each other with nervous faces, trying to act as normal as possible. I didn’t understand it until I heard a voice behind me.

“There you are! Day, I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” Frank exclaimed, bounding over to Damien to yank him into a tight hug. Oh. “Congrats little bro! You’ve finished high school now. Welcome to the real world, it sucks.” Frank grinned a toothy grin down at his little brother, unaware of the awkwardness that was radiating from Bob.

“Not so fun being on the other end of it, is it Bobby?” Gerard asked, smirking at his friend, receiving a death glare in return.

Everyone laughed except for Frank who looked innocent and confused when he asked “What? What’s so funny?”

x~x~x


“Bob and Damien. I didn’t see that one coming.” Gerard said as he shut the door to his apartment behind us. He dumped his keys on the side table and shrugged off his jacket, folding it over the back of the sofa where I’d sat down.

“Me neither. You can’t admit that it’s not cute though.” I said, running my fingers over the graduation gown that lay folded up in my lap.

“True. Still think they should let Frank in on it.”

“Same. I mean, what kind of guy sneaks around behind his friend’s back and macks on their younger sibling?” I teased, tugging him to sit down next to me.

“Hey, that was different.” He defended himself, putting on an innocent face.

I snorted. "How was it?"

He was close before but then he moved so that there was absolutely no space between us. "It was you, for starters. I wouldn't have lied to my best friend for just anybody."

"Oh really?" I grinned, letting myself fall back as he leant over me, hands supporting him on the sofa either side of my shoulders. The gown fell to the floor at some point but I didn’t even notice.

He was grinning back at me as he leant in to kiss me softly, humming against my lips. “Mhmm. Oh, and speaking of you …” He trailed off, pressing another kiss to the corner of my mouth.

“Yeah?”

“I’ve got a surprise for you.” He told me. There was new light behind his eyes and I raised my eyebrows, looking for confirmation that we were thinking about the same thing.

“You mean we’re gonna-”

He kissed me again. “Mhmm.”

“Wow.” I breathed out, biting my lip to stop myself from beaming stupidly up at him.

“But first,” He said, sitting up. “I’m taking you to New York.”
♠ ♠ ♠
At last, I've finally posted the last chapter! Sorry to keep you hanging there, folks :)

So what did you guys think? Was it the ending you wanted? I know its kind of inconclusive but I'll be posting a one-shot epilogue sequel thing real soon so make sure you subscribe to that.

And how about Damien and Bob? Likey or no likey? Leave me some comments people!

Until next time, my friends

xox