Sinking

001.

It’s hard to start from the beginning if you don’t really know when the beginning began.

Because I knew Take long before anyone else did. I knew him when he was home schooled before he made his parents transfer to public. I knew him when he still went by Travis Taken Thomas, and nothing short of his whole name. I knew him before he was the tragically, annoyingly, misunderstood hero of Huckleberry High. I knew him before his first girlfriend and after his tenth. I knew Take when he picked up his first paintbrush and when he sold his first piece of art. I knew him when he was best friends with Adam Parker and when they got in a fist fight over a cheating girlfriend.

I knew him then like I know him now. Which is more than anyone else – probably even more than himself – and it’s a little too much if anyone asked me. But no one does. They’d rather talk to Take. And I don’t blame anyone who does.

I don’t think either of us really fell in love with anyone else. Not really. But I don’t think we fell in love with each other either. We more or less slipped into it slowly. It took about fifteen years to do it; we slipped hard and deep into love.

I’d like to tell you how we did it, when we got there, and when we began. But like I said, it’s hard to start from the beginning if you don’t know when the beginning began.