Sinking

004.

2003.

Are you sure about this?” I twisted my lips and stared at a young Take, who was sitting in a chair.

“Of course.” He grinned and wiggled his feet. He held the forged permission slip in his hand like gold.

I knew his parents would freak out. Not at him as much as at me. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, I was public enemy #1 after I corrupted their baby boy. This would be just another example of why.

“You ready?” A large, gruff man named Jack came into the room with a piercing gun.
“Yeah.” Take’s smile got wider when he saw the gun.

“You got the permission slip from your parents?” Jack asked, prepping the area and retrieving materials.

“Right here.” Take held up the piece of paper for Jack to take. The older man took it and looked it over. It was obviously forged; Jack knew Take’s parents well enough to know that they wouldn’t allow him to get anything pierced. But he also knew Take well enough to know that Take didn’t care about his parents’ wishes.

“You sure about this?” Jack twisted his lips just like mine as he asked the question. He always seemed to start his sentences with ‘you.’

“Absolutely.” Take’s grin grew even more.

“Alright.” Jack shrugged and got an alcohol wipe, a needle sealed in plastic, the piercing gun, and a stud to put in the gun. He took the alcohol wipe to clean Take’s lip.
Instead of seeing any nervousness in my friend’s eyes, I saw excitement. When the loaded gun was set on his lip the excitement bubbled even more.

With the pop of the gun, I knew the deed was done. I didn’t watch – I don’t like watching other people get tattooed, pierced, or get shots. That’s just gross. But when I turned back at looked at my friend, he had a huge smile on his face despite the fact that the piercing probably hurt when he did that.

“Well there you go, Travis Taken Thomas.” Jack spoke with a small smile but worried eyes. “You’re the new owner of a facial piercing.”

Travis Taken Thomas was given a small mirror to look at his lip. His grin got bigger – I was sure the thing would stretch right out of his skin. “This is so awesome.” He was almost shaking from excitement, and he looked up at me. “Now we’re twins.”

I smiled back at him. “Yeah, something like that.”

But there was too much goodness in Take and too much darkness in me for us to ever be parallels. No, sometimes my best friend would be like me to rebel against society or his parents or the school, but he was filled with too much light to ever be like me. And that’s the way it always should have been.