Great Diversion

More Important Places to Be

"Where are you going?" Claudia called from the stair case just as Tre opened the front door.
"Nowhere," he replied, slamming the door and gliding down the driveway. Behind him he heard the door open.
"You can't go anywhere," Claudia said standing on the porch with her arms folded across her chest. " You have to stay and watch Frankito. I'm going to lunch with Lauren."
"Take him with you," he said, climbing into his car.
"No," she said, making her way to the drivers' side.
"Look," Tre sighed, putting his keys into the ignition. "If you had told me you needed me to watch Frankito previously, I'd be more than glad to do so. But now," he turned on the car, "I have to go."
"No, Tre, I made these plans last week-,"
"But you never told me about them. I have to go now," Tre started to back up the car.
"Where? Where is so important?"
"Band stuff," he lied. "The usual." Before Claudia could throw a fit, he'd pulled out of the driveway.
'How did we ever stay together, ' he thought to himself. He fiddled with the radio and the unpleasant feelings in the air were quickly replaced by thoughts of his destination- by thoughts of her.

His red Mini Cooper pulled into the Bay View Credit Union parking lot and scanned the parked cars for an orange Datsun. He knew it was hers. Parking, he grabbed his keys and headed inside the bank, praying her desk would be open. Pushing open the heavy doors, he was greeted by a breeze of air conditioned coolness and the impersonal smell of office supplies. Going over to the waiting area, he noticed the bank was it's usual self, quiet except for the click-click-clicking of perfectly manicured nails hitting keyboards, typing in loan applications. He sat himself in an overstuffed chair between a chipper looking woman with her ponytail pulled back through her ball cap and an elderly lady with carefully sculpted pin curls. She smelled of a sweet mixture of powder and perfume, and he smiled over at her. Her response was to move her purse to the other side and glare at him.
"Mr. Wright?" a soft voice called. The name was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. He continued to look at the black nail polish chipping off his nails.
"Tre?" the voice said and this time his head shot up. He got up and made his way to her desk with a big smile on his face.
"Hi," he said shyly as he sat in the swivel chair belonging to the desk. He opened his wallet and pulled out a stack of bills. " I want to deposit this," he said meeting her gaze and holding it before he got embarrassed and looked back at his hands. She was so beautiful.