Great Diversion

Hey, Beautiful

The nameplate on her desk read Ava Martin. To Tre, she was a picture sitting behind that desk, with her straw colored hair pulled back and lagoon-blue eyes rimmed in an office appropriate brown. She had slightly pointed ears, that today housed simple drop earrings with green stones that matched her simple green sweater. To the rest of the world, she looked like just another bank teller. And for some reason, Tre ate that up like hot cakes. From the first time she had waited on him, he knew there was something else beneath the quiet, conservative office girl Ava showed to the world. This felling was confirmed by the silver stud through her tongue that was revealed when she spoke.
"You want to deposit this?" Ava smiled across the desk at Tre. "This wouldn't happen to be the $200 you took out yesterday, would it?"
" Uh, no," he stumbled through trying to come up with an excuse. It was no use. She was too pretty. "Okay, yeah, it's the same."
"Really?" Smiling at him, she typed in his info. " Couldn't find anything to spend it on?"
"More like couldn't find anyone to spend it on," Tre leaned onto the desk. Giggling, she teased,
" Are you asking me out?" Tre shot back in his chair.
"No," he said. He could feel his ears turning red. Why was he so shy? He couldn't figure it out.
" Too bad," she said getting up from the desk to retrieve his receipt from the printer. " 'Cause I would've gone with you." As she bent over to tear off the paper, her sweater pulled up in the back slightly and Tre could see the edges of an unidentifiable tattoo. That sealed it. He had to know more about this girl.
" Okay, maybe I was asking you out," he said cocking his head. "How does Friday sound?"
She glanced at the line of people waiting behind him and scrawled something on the receipt before pushing it into his hands.
" You're holding up my line," she said flatly.

Tre was taken aback. Didn't she just agree to go out with him and now she's being all bitchy? What the hell? Confused, he got up and shuffled out the door. He moped all the way to his car and got in with a sigh. Dude. He'd been so close. Then the writing on the receipt caught his eye.

"I get home after 6, drop me a line."
"Fuck!" he yelped to himself. Filled with a new exuberance, he started the car. Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" came through the speakers and he turned it as loud as it would go. Nothing could ruin his mood, not even the sight of Claudia pouting on the front steps as he pulled into the driveway. .