I Fell in Love With a Dead Boy

Shiny, Grim beginnings

“Can you hear me?” I knew he needed a doctor, I knew he wasn’t going to survive this. Oh God how did it get to this point? The terror that filled my every sense made me shake, my bones cracked a silent strike of cold and my eyes began to water with sweet tears. I couldn’t stop myself; all I could do was lie down beside him and sigh. Wishing the hot breath escaping my lips was the last stream of air ever to escape them. How did we come so far?

“Fia, pass me that tie.”
I tossed the red garment to my uncle, watching him take off the thin black cloth that clashed violently with his white shirt. I leaned back into the soft leather of the couch in the bus. It moulded around my body, this couch was so comfy I wondered at times whether it would devour me altogether and I would be the girl trapped in the thick confides of its cushions.
“The red looks better huh?”
He asked, his green eyes frowning in a decision making line.
“Yeah go for red.” I smiled. “White and Red blood and bandages”
The man in front of me smirked and glanced back into the mirror.
“Fia did you ring Lou for me?”
“Yes, he said that 5:30 was the only time he could fit you in.”
“Okay, that’s fine but you’ll…”
“…Have to cancel Jamie and I know I’ve done it.”
“Nice one Fia”
I smirked at my uncle, “You do realise that it’s your wedding anniversary in two weeks. What should I get for Adi?”
“Oh I dunno, take her out shopping, and see what she pines over…as long as it doesn’t severely dent my wallet I don’t care.”
“How thoughtful Bill.”
He made a snorting huff kind of noise and flicked the ends of his hair with his fingers.
“There.” He stated, “Do I look ready to rock a thousand people?”
“Of course” I sighed.

He bent down to kiss my head and darted from the bus, ready to start his pre-show workout. I watched the door slam. It was the first show of the tour and Billie was in jitters, first shows always made him particularly nervous, he said that it marked whether the tour would fly or fall. I’m Fia, I’m Billie Joe Armstrong’s niece and personal Assistant. I had been his PA for about three years but this was my first tour. It sounds like a dream job I know, but it really isn’t what I wanted it to crack up to be.
Billie is demanding, everything has to be precise and sorted, he doesn’t wait for anything. Whether it be hair gel or food or a guitar string, waiting longer than five seconds pisses him off big time. I do get parented on this tour, I have Mike, Tre, Ronnie and Jason all looking out for me, as well as the numerous roadies like Rigger Dan and Big Chucks.
This part of the day when Green Day was just about to go on tour was the best. After the gig it was party, party, but before hand it’s very much heated pressure.
Billie and Tre had told me to go and meet the support band, a New Jersey band called My Chemical Romance. Apparently I would be into them.

Sighing I got up from my comfy position and left the bus, turning around to lock the door I realised how quickly it had gotten dark.
“Hey Fia, what’s going down?” I turned to see Ronnie walking past, stopping to address me.
“I’ve been informed by Uncle Royal Highness to go and meet the support band.”
“Oh really, well you missed them play you know.” Ronnie smirked as I walked over to him.
“I know I was ironing Billie’s shirt then running all over the goddamn place trying to find Funky Gunk Hair Gel.”
Ronnie laughed, “He’s not changed then.”
“He’ll calm down after a few shows.” I giggled as we walked from the tour buses to the arena entrance. Passing some roadie crew who hollered at Ronnie as they unloaded equipment from some huge trucks parked directly outside.
“Hey Ronnie” We both turned to see a guy with rampant curly hair.
“Hey! Ray, Ray this is Fia, Billie Joe’s niece and PA. Fia this is Ray guitarist for My Chemical Romance.”
I shook Ray’s hand politely; he and Ronnie began talking about guitars as the three of us walked backstage to catch Green Day’s show.
I stood in the blackness that washed over the backstage area, holding a beer and perched on an un-used amp I squirmed as 2001 Space Odyssey music blasted through the speaker, announcing that Green Day had taken the stage. I loved watching them play, every show was different, but it was Billie that made it amazing. All the girls swooning over him, Mike and Tre. If only they knew how rancid Billie’s farts could be or how bad Tre's burps were, or that Mike would leave rancd coffee cups everywhere that would grow mould and wink at you. I always thought of things like that, the parts of Billie, Mike and Tre that the fans didn’t know.
As the set descended into Redundant, the song added by request of myself I felt my stomach flutter. I loved this song; sure they had better ones but every time Billie sang that line;
“I’m speechless and redundant, because I love yous not enough I’m lost for words”
That line made me shudder, I was a hopeless romantic, I believed in something that connected two people…Billie and Adi were the proof of that. Little did I know that that very night I would give my heart away to someone so easily?

I remember when I saw him, Redundant had just ended, the final note sprung out, the final cymbal clashed. I turned, I turned and I saw him, he was about my height, his hair was black, his face was white, his eyes pierced mine. My stomach tossed at him, he was the most amazing individual I have ever seen. He looked away from my gaze and I turned my head towards the stage, Billie was currently recruiting fans to play ‘Knowledge’ with. Turning back across the darkened room…he was gone.