Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Nothing

“Regan, please hold still or I’m never going to get your hair done!” Hermione scolded me, holding all kinds of pieces of my hair in her fingertips. No matter how much I kicked and screamed that doing my hair by magic would be easier, Hermione insisted the muggle way would be more pleasing. More pleasing for her, is what I think she meant.
Hermione had already done her hair in lovely ringlets of curls, half of her hair pulled back out of her face. Hermione was a beautiful girl, more so than people gave her credit for. Her face was fairy like, with her high cheek bones and very feminine face. She was petite and fragile, very different from me. I was petitie, but strong with very defined muscles all thanks to quidditch.
Hermione finally stopped tugging and pulling at my hair, letting me turn to look at my reflection. I raised my eyebrows. Hermione had curled and looped my hair with many pins into a beautiful bun with just the right amount of girls loose to fall in my face. My eyes were lined with kohl and my cheeks highlighted with blush.
“Hermione, it’s absolutely beautiful. If you were a muggle, you would have to go into hair. You have a talent.”
Hermione blushed. “Thank you, now go get changed into your dress!”
I quickly slide on a one shoulder, teal dress that Narcissa had sent me. It was made of light silk and felt like I had nothing on, but with my dark hair and blue eyes it was more than I could ever expect to see in a dress. I slide on silver glittering heels, a snake bracelet and simple earrings. Draco had given me the snake bracelet many years ago as a birthday present. Snakes were his thing.
“You look beautiful, Rea.”
I turned around and smiled brightly at Hermione. She stood in a simple light pink dress, form fitting and made of the same silk as my own. She was absolutely stunning, and although I didn’t comment on it, I knew that if Ron saw her right now that he would die. By now, Hermione had already told me that she was going with Cormac, which earned a million jokes from me that made her pink in the face.
Waiting for Hermione to add the last touches, I sat on her bed, thinking what Malfoy would say if he could see me now. Malfoy and I were closer than ever, and he didn’t comment on my friendship with Hermione, but I knew he wasn’t totally comfortable with it. Hermione kept her comments on Malfoy to a a minimum, but she did not hide her facial expression at the sight of him, and told me she would not hide her hate for him.
Part of me thought that spending time with Hermione would rub off on me, and that I could slowly redeem myself for the things I had done, for the lives I had destroyed. Every night was filled with nightmares and visions of what would happen if I left the Death Eaters and what would happen if I remained. There were to many results that could come from a simple action.
But that what life is. Cause and effect. Every action has an equal force, and mine could lead to repercussions like no other. Harry was important to me. Out of everything in my life, he was something that gave me hope and made me realize I was more than just a weapon, that I wasn’t just a pawn in Voldemorts games. He was worth protecting. But I could not save Harry over Draco.
I liked to think that I could leave the Death Eaters and still protect Draco, but there was no way. My leaving would result in his death, and I could never let that happen. I would give my life for him, so I had to stay. I had to sty, but somehow help Harry, which in itself was quite the contradiction.
“You shouldn’t worry about that tonight,” Hermione said distantly. I looked up at her. She was sitting in front of a mirror, looking at me in the reflection with sad eyes. “I know what you’re thinking.” She nodded her head, looking down. “You’re wondering how you’re going to save them both. I think you should save yourself a little first, Reagan.”
I looked away. “Making choices- I feel like it’s impossible. Sometimes I forget all the reasons I should save Harry and the darkness consumes me- that’s usually in my sleep. Other times I know that I should save Harry, but I lose Draco, and I think that terrifies me more than the dark part of me.”
She sat down next to me, but not close enough that we were touching. “Nothing is going to be easy,” She said, looking at me with a strict seriousness. “Every moment we live- well it’s dangerous for us. But we have to make the best choices when the time comes… but when the time comes, Regan. You worry about nightmares that are in the future, and you make yourself sick with choices, but when the choice comes to present itself, you’ll know what to do.
“Thank you-“
“But,” She continued curtly, raising her eyes to mine. “If I ever expect you’re going to harm Harry, or one of us, or that you are going to cause a change and shift power in favor of Voldemort- I… I will try to stop you, Regan. You need to know where my alliances lie. I like you- but I know that if it endangers Draco’s life you will choose wrong.”
Hermione fell silent. “You are brave,” I murmured, smiling ruefully. “It take a lot of honesty and bravery to admit your alliances. Thank you for that.”
It was sad, to see that she her face as she admitted this. And I knew she would try to stop me, and maybe some part of her thought she would be able to stop me. But if the threat was enough, nothing she could do would stop me.
Nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler , sorry . Comments .