Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Eavesdrop

I sat in the library of the Malfoy manor, fiddling with the hem of my green, long-sleeved shirt. My black waves fell in front of my face as I studied a spot on the floor, studied anything to kill the time. Today I was being presented as a gift of sorts, a gift that could possibly be killed instantly upon revelation. I had to admit I was terrified, but I attempted to keep my face calm and collected. Narcissa told me I would be perfect, and that I had nothing to fear.
But I could see it in her eyes. She was scared too, now that she had practically gained a daughter.

Draco was angry, as he often was. He thought that it was too dangerous, and that we should send me away or give me a new name. Upon reminding him of my shoulder, he gave up hope and decided to sulk, sneering his pink lips and glaring with his ice blue eyes at everyone that passed, even myself. I knew Draco better than anyone- maybe even his own mother- and I knew this was his way of expressing fear and anxiety. He lashes out when he’s upset, as if he could substitute sadness with anger.

It was late into the night now, and they should be back any moment. All was quiet in the mansion. Draco had returned to the school several days ago, but voiced his anger previously that day through a letter that was savagely written. Narcissa and I were the only ones in the house, so I had no idea what to expect when they returned, for neither did Draco’s mother.

I looked up to see her walk in, her face delicate and beautiful like a seraph angel. Draco looked much like her, with his sharp and beautiful features that seemed to delicate to touch, like a fragile china doll. She sat next to me and gave me a small smile, one that usually only last a brief moment when Lucius was home. Her kind eyes gave me ease and I began to relax when she sat up a little straighter, more rigid. She didn’t make movement, but her eyes glanced at her left arm for the second time that night.
They were coming.

As if to answer me, large cracks could be heard in the foyer, and then voices. They had apparated to the house. I didn’t know how many of them, but I knew that many already knew about me, and knew who I was. Narcissa gave me a serious, yet encouraging look before she left my side and through the library door. Tonight was the night. Now was the moment. The moment I would be presented to Lord Voldemort.


A gentle touch made me start in bed. I looked up to see an apologetic Malfoy with tired, blue eyes. His hair was disheveled and he was still in pajamas. Glancing at the blackout curtains I could see the faintest light around the edges, my only sign that it was daylight outside and that it was clearly time to get up.
“We have a lot to do today,” Draco said, sitting on my back, hestitating and then falling backwards with a yawn. “We have to get your school things from Diagon Ally- oh you’re really going to love this part- we don’t want anyone to know you exist so you get to drink polyjuice potion.”

I made a face. “I’ve never actually had it, you’ve noted it tastes like goblin piss.”
“That it does.” He stood up and stretched, smiling at me. “You got accepted by the way, to Hogwarts I mean. Dumbledore knows now I suppose, but I bet it gave him a right fit when he saw the letter mother sent.”
“You don’t think he told anyone?” I asked curiously, sitting up and bringing my knees to my chest. Draco shook his head, thinking for a moment. There were dark bruises underneath his blue eyes and I noted that he looked very, very tired when I looked twice at him. He didn’t sleep the night before, I was sure of it. “I don’t think he would have told anyone except McGonagall and Snape. Maybe some of the others, but he probably doesn’t want to raise to much alarm.”
“Alarm?” I asked skeptically, eyebrow raised. “There’s already ‘alarm’ around the school because of Voldemort being back and everyone finally excepting it. I’m sure there will be less students than there used to be, and plus, more people are joining our ranks every week. ‘Alarm’ isn’t something he’s going to avoid.”

“All the same,” Draco said and walked to the curtains, pulling them apart to reveal blinding sunlight. I squinted at him, trying not to burn my eyes in the sunlight. “It’s going to be a dangerous year. You’re sure you can handle seeing your brother? After all, he’s your twin.”
I stood up, scoffing. “Do you know who your talking to, Malfoy? I can do many things others can’t, and I don’t think seeing my pathetic brother will change anything.”
Draco turned and smiled gently, tucking a piece of stray hair behind my ear. “I don’t know how you two could be so different. I despise your brother, he’s a right foul git and needs to be put in his place- the grave. You on the other hand… you’re perfect.”
I smiled. “Well this perfection needs to take a shower and get dressed if she wants to go get her school supplies. Off you go.” Draco smiled at me and kissed my forehead before leaving out the door.
*
Polyjuice potion probably tasted worse than goblin piss- it was outright foul. I coughed several times subsequent to taking the potion and made a disgusted face as I felt my skin tingle and suddenly felt everything shifting. It was the strangest experience, to feel yourself morphing into someone else completely. The transformation left me wanting to vomit, but I fought my bile down and smiled to the few Death Eaters and the Dark Lord that watched. My clothes were now tight on me and I pulled at the collar of my shirt that was near suffocating me. My hair was shoulder length black, and short, also it had horrible split ends.
“Ugh,” I groaned looking in the mirror. “I look like a bloody pug! No wonder people call this girl pug face!” I could see Draco fighting a snicker and he hid it well especially when the Dark Lord asked him to step forward.
“What do you think, Draco?” he purred, voice smooth. “Does she look like Miss Parkinson?”
Draco circled me, looking at every inch with his acute eyes. “Yes, it is perfect. She just has to act like Pansy, my lord.”
“Then I will cling all over you, whine to my best ability, and sneer with my mutt face at everyone I see.”
Voldemort looked amused, which could be the end of your life or assurance that you would live a little bit longer. “I am pleased. Now go, and hurry. If you don’t make it back before it wears off, you’ll both be severely. And Draco? If Parkinson is there- I’ll bleed you dry on this very rug.”
“She won’t be there,” I said quickly, earning a long look from Voldemort before he turned and left the room, black cloak billowing behind him. I looked at Draco long and hard, knowing he knew that he had better be right. He said Pansy had gone to get her things the day before- if she was there and saw me, we were both dead. Literally.

We traveled with Narcissa through apparation, glad that she could do it although we had not learned yet. Apparating the first few times made me sick to my stomach, and I vomited as well. now I was so used to the pull of force, the spinning out of control and the feeling of your stomach in your throat, that I could apparate easily without sickness. Draco looked green for a moment before the color faded back to his normal, milky white skin. I smiled at him softly before turning to adjust my clothing once more.

“Alright,” Narcissa said, going into her business mode. Her face became blank and serious, void of any emotion. “You’re father and a few of the others will be meeting us in Knockturn Ally later. Until then, we must quickly get our things. Reag- Pansy. You must act like the real Pansy- everything depends on it. Are you ready?” I nodded my short hair and moved out of the ally way with Draco and Narcissa.

We stepped into Diagon Ally and instantly I hesitated. I remember Draco telling me how amazing Diagon Ally, how he was so happy the first time he walked down the cobble stone paths, how all witches and wizards were herding there children around and how people came out of Olivanders with new wands and running around with new pets for Hogwarts. This was not the scene I saw before me.

The ally was black, the light completely taken away from the place. A single place was lit up on the street- a joke shop that Draco gently whispered was owned by the Twin Weaslys’, blood traitors. People scurried past on the streets, careful not to linger in one place for too long as if the black would rub off on them and kill them. Glancing at Draco, I saw the hidden horror behind his eyes and touched my fingertips to his wrist, causing him to look at me. His blue orbs spoke legions of sadness.

Narcissa began walking quickly, taking us to Madam Malkin’s shop for robes. I waited outside with Draco, for Madam Malkin would recognize Pansy and misunderstand the sizes- Pansy was larger than I was and much taller than my 5’1 stature. Narcissa came out with the robes, plain black and black ties. When I was sorted- although we knew exactly what house I would be sorted into- the robes would change themselves, the tie turning green and black and the emblem turning into a Slytherin patch.

The shopping went on with little conversation, but I did manage to sneer with my pug face as several people Draco pointed out Pansy would typically sneer at.
We walked back into the ally, finished with our shopping. Now we would head to Borgin and Burkes to handle more with our tasks. We walked down the ally briskly until we reached the even dark cobble stone path- Knockturn Ally. We met a few other death eaters there, including Lucius. I paused for a moment and then froze. I felt the familiar tingle again and I braced myself on the wall of the ally, catching Draco’s attention.

“Wait,” he called and rushed to me, making sure I was fine. I held up my hand as my gut wrenched and I faded back to my normal self, clothes becoming loose.
“I’m fine, but we have to hurry.” He nodded and led me into the ally.
Draco and I both looked around when we approached the Borgin and Burkes door, seeing nothing. I stepped into the door but stopped suddenly, feeling something in the back on my conscious. I felt like there was someone there, hidden from out eyes- I could feel it stronger then anything and it grew increasingly until I was sure that there was someone watching us, someone only I could sense. I muttered an excuse to Draco that I dropped something down the ally and I would be right in. he reluctantly let me leave.

I quietly walked down the ally, slowly looking down each pathway into darkness, searching for whoever was watching. I slowly reached for my wand as the sense came closer to me, and soon my skin was on fire and my scar on my shoulder was lit, burning but not painfully. I turned down the last path, seeing nothing. I turned to give up and I don’t know why, but somehow I knew to look up. And when I did, I saw three kids my age, back to me peeking over the roof of a building into the window of Borgin and Burkes.
I gripped my wand and sneer, calling out, “Don’t you think it’s rather rude to eavesdrop?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I was going to wait for Reagon to see Harry , but the moment he realizes who she is is going to be in his point of view to get an understanding of Harry's feelings towards his sister . Also , let me know if i'm doing a horrible job . honestly . i'm sorry it's a lot of explaining and stuff , all the good elements come soon ! comments !