Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Breaking Promises

My nerves were at an all time high. I could hear the music swelling up the stairs from down below, the violins playing their high, light melody, the cellos and the violas playing their deep, lusty voices. My hair was pulled back in an elegant yet loose bun, curled pieces falling out delicately to frame my blushed face. My eyes were lined with kohl and looked dark and terrifying, which is somewhat how I felt.
I wore a plain black dress that touched the floor lightly, like a kiss of a feather. It was made from a material I could not identify, but it was the softest and the lightest material, and I had decided that if I could wear a cloud, this is what it would feel like.
Sliding on my jewelry, I looked in the mirror, pleased at my reflection. I looked like a dark temptress, and I was thankful that the magic tweaked makeup made the dark circles underneath my eyes vanish, and that I looked like my old self once again.
My heart fluttered when I thought of dancing with Draco. He had seen me dressed nicely once before, but now I was attending the party with him. I would be able to dance with him, to hold him close, to hold hands in front of all our people, and relax. But I couldn’t really relax, not with the worry of Voldemort’s plans always existent in the back of my mind.
There was a soft knock on my door and I turned to see Draco step in, back facing me as he shut the door. My heart beat wildly in my chest and I smiled as he turned to face me. He looked unbearably handsome in his all black suit, his hair slicked back and out of his face. His eyes were the color of cold steel tonight, but it fit his outfit perfectly.
I fidgeted as he moved towards me, gliding over the carpet. The look on his face was that of someone looking at thousands of stars in the sky, wondering how something could possibly be so wonderful. I fought the urge to run up to him and kiss him as he smiled at me, raising his hand to brush a strand of hair from my face.
“You truly are a remarkable creature,” he breathed, mint breath tickling my face. “I often wonder how I was so lucky to not only have someone who is on the inside the wonderful, warm, beautiful person, but how I have managed to get someone with the beauty of an angel. They right stories about this beauty, you know?”
I smiled at him touching his hand. “Where do you come up with these things to say?”
He shrugged. “I don’t know, I just kind of say them now. Would you prefer me to stop?” He kissed my color bone then, hands slipping around my waist and holding me delicately. His breath gave my neck goose bumps as I wrapped my arms around his neck whispering, “I never want you to stop anything you do.”
I felt his smile against my skin. “Good.”
We stood there for what seemed like hours in one another’s embrace, perfectly happy with never letting go. Moments like these, suspended in time, were so rare for us. Sometimes when these moments occurred, it was as if they happened out of a dream, a beautiful, indescribable dream, that when you wake up from it, you can’t help but cry that it is over.
Footsteps in the hall caused us to break a part finally. He smiles at me on last time before running his fingers down my arm to my hand, intertwining our fingers. I smile at him and let him lead me out of the room and into the hallway, where music and conversation can be heard from the ballroom.
At the top of the steps, Draco released my hand and interlocks our arms like a gentleman, both of us trying not to laugh at the ridiculousness of it. We walked down the steps smoothly and elegantly, both hiding the smiles and letting our death eater faces take over. Many older couples look at us approvingly, and some even whispering questioningly, but we ignore them, holding our heads high as purebloods do- even if I’m not one.
Narcissa stands at the entrance of the ballroom in a deep emerald dress, her blonde hair twisted up into a French twist. Emerald teardrop earrings dangle elegantly just above her smooth, pale shoulders, and I can see why Narcissa is treated like royalty; she looks like a queen of darkness.
Draco’s mother nodded politely when we arrive and takes Draco’s other arm. Because of his father’s absence it is Draco’s duty to escort his mother into the party. It would be looked down upon in this society if he had not.
“You look wonderful, darling,” Narcissa said one we joined the throng of finely dressed people. I smiled and thanked her, trying to breath through the smells of cologne and perfume, which is one of my least favorite things about these affairs.
“You do as well, Mrs. Malfoy.” Using formalities in front of these people is crucial; they couldn’t know how unusually close I was with Narcissa, especially if any of them knew what I was supposed to be doing.
Draco taps my elbow and I cast my eyes at him. He nods in head in a direction and I follow it, nodding my head. He gestured to our friends standing in a small group by the refreshments table, talking quietly. I tried not to look annoyed to see Pansy and Malificent Bulstrode, so I smiled at Blaise instead, hugging him as a greeting.
“Hey there, Blaise.”
“Holidays good so far?” He asked. I nod in reply saying, “Fair enough. How about you?”
He shrugged. “The usual.”
“That’s quite the pretty dress,” Pansy’s annoying voice cut in. I look at her, not sure if I should respond or not. I smile briefly and look away again, returning to my conversation with Blaise.
*
Draco and I drifted slowly across the dance floor to the music. It’s been hours of dancing and talking, and the party had been fun, much to my surprise. I put my head on Draco’s chest, closing my eyes and letting him steer me across the floor. Although I can’t see his face, and he doesn’t make movement, I get the feeling that he’s smiling, making me smile in return.
The song is nowhere near the end when Draco paused suddenly, causing me to stumble. I pulled away from him, cocking my head to the side in curiosity. He gazes follows someone behind me, causing me to turn and look around. A trickle of death eaters trickle slowly out of the room, casting glances around to see who was watching. I averted my eyes quickly avoiding being seen looking at them. Looking around, I can tell no one else noticed.
“What do you think that was all about?” Draco murmured. I shake my head, not knowing either.
It strikes me then, that Voldemort had specifically told me he did not want me on his separate mission because he wanted me at the party. He did not state the specific time or date of his attack… but if he wanted me here, at this place and time, I knew exactly where the death eaters were going, and I could not stand by and watch.
“Draco…” I turn around to face him and paused. His face was unreadable, closed of and cold. My heart skips a beat for a moment, wondering how he could possibly seal off his face to me of all people.
“Go.” It isn’t a command, but it’s not a suggestion either. His voice was completely void and his eyes had turned to stone. “GO.”
I turned away from him though and twisted my way around the people at the party. No one paid me any mind as I slipped through the door, my head snapping in both directions to assure no one was watching me. My heart was pounding, not only for what I was about to do, but because I knew exactly what that look on Draco’s face was. It was the look of resignation and defeat. He knew what I was doing. And he hated it.
I disapparated before anyone could come into the hall. I swam through a vortex for a few moments before stumbling along a grass field. I kicked off my heels, no longer carrying about losing them. The hem of my dress became drenched as I ran through the swamp, heading towards the lights of the Weasley household. I had minutes before they would arrive, I was almost sure of it.
“Harry!” I screamed, reaching the yard. “Run!”
The door slammed open, Harry appearing, confused and concerned. He began to run to me but I yelled “Get the others out of the house, they’re coming! I cannot stay they’ll see me.”
Just then I heard the approach of death eaters. They like to make an entrance, as opposed to apparating. I turned my head to Harry, who was yelling at everyone to get out of the house. My hair was falling out of it’s bun, clinging to the sweat on my neck. I ran then, right into the grass, trying to get away from the house.
I reached the outer rim of the burrow, and watched with silent horror as the house went up in a blaze. I stuck my fist in my mouth, biting into it, trying to contain screams of fury. This was the perfect plan to upset Harry, to dismantle him. He would blame himself for this, and I couldn’t help him. I lashed out, punching a tree and bellowing, trying to ignore the shouts in the distance. I couldn’t help them, I couldn’t be seen. They would kill Draco if they saw me, I was sure of it.
“Harry!” I whipped around. I knew that shriek belonged to Ginny. I was no fool. The scream contained fear, making my heart seize. I couldn’t let him be harmed.
I began running then, into the tall grass. I was slowed by the water and the sludge moving around my feet. Ripping my wand out, I hacked at the grass, severing it as I moved along. I could here movement in the grass ways off, and I paused in time to see the death eaters rise up and leave.
Once they had left, I began running again until I stumbled into an opening where Harry and Ginny stood, wands pointed at me, arm in arm. My hair was disheveled and my dress was in taters, but I could almost cry at the sight of my brother in tact and okay. Ginny, though, was not happy to see me.
“Look what you’ve done!” she bellowed, walking towards me. I held my wand up, but she didn’t care. “Are you happy you filthy little bitch!”
“I warned you!” I bellowed back at her, in a rage. I found it difficult to breath and I clutched my wand tightly, vision blurring in anger. “I risked my life- I RISKED DRACO’S LIFE TO WARN YOU!” The last part came out in a savage yelled, ripping my throat raw. “You have no idea what I’ve done for you!”
“You’ve done nothing,” she sobbed, as Harry put himself in between us, holding each back. Faintly I could hear Mr. Weasley yelled our names. “You destroy everything you touch! You’ll destroy Draco too, one day! I swear it!”
I made a move to slap her then, but I was being pulled away, kicking and screaming. There were two sets of arms holding me back as I screamed a string of curses, threatening her and damning her to hell. She had no idea what I had just sacrificed coming to that place, no idea what type of defiance I had just shown. I could return home and find the only love of my life dead, or even find Narcissa dead. I had thrown everything away, to do what my brain told me was right.
“Reagan!” Harry kept calling my name over and over again. “Listen to me!”
“I broke a promise,” I seethed, putting my face in his. “I broke a promise to protect him over anything else, to save you. Remember that.”
With those final words, I disapparated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Facts :
Reagan , is still clearly a little looney and has anger issues .
This chapter is to show Reagan's true nature of right , even if she doesn't know it .
It is also to show how blind Ginny can be through hatred .
Reagan ultimately chose to save a family over someone she loves with all of her being .