Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Reagan Potter

Death, by definition is the termination of the biological functions that sustain a living organism, but I believe that there are all kinds of form of death. There can be death as in you’re dead, never to come back to life, death as in your former self is dead once you become a new person, and death as in an actual being, very much- and ironically- a live being that cannot be seen unless It reveals Itself, but is present as an entity at times.

I feel that Death is among us as I look into the blind white eyes of a threstral, a creature that is a sickly excuse for a horse with black, leathery wings. The creatures look sickly, all skin and bone, and every time I see them I am sure that they carry Death on a chariot in His realm. I am sure that they are dead themselves, in more ways than one, and if I had not been so used to the act of killing, I may actually be sickened upon seeing the creatures.

Draco had told me to leave the rain and claim my luggage without him- I understood he was going to take care of some business with our unwanted guest. I had no remorse for leaving my own blood to the wrath of Draco. He was sticking his nose where it didn’t belong as he often was, and one day- very soon I was sure- he was going to get killed for it.

I stood with Blaise, talking lightly waiting for Draco apprehensively. Finally he walked through two wrought iron gates, glancing at me briefly. I looked away, knowing something in him was bothering him. To distract myself from his face, I glanced around my surroundings, taking in the towering trees, bigger than I had ever seen in any books. There were dark and dense, and in the distance I could heard a wolf call out into the night, alone and woeful.

The trees looked like they held many secrets and many darknesses, maybe even creatures that I had never heard of in my darkest dreams. Death eaters may be the most powerful wizards out there, and could face many things but often times we forgot we were not immortal, that there were quite enough creatures that were darker and scarier than us, that could kill us.

“Are you coming or not?” Blaise asked, single eyebrow arched. I nodded slightly before climbing up into the wagon, watching as Draco seemed to step in, unaware of his surroundings. Pansy squeezed right up next to him and began bombarding him with questions, and I tuned her out, studying Draco. He was staring off into the distance, deep in thought which wasn’t as rare for him as people thought. He wasn’t a dimwit- that much I could tell.
The ride down the dirt path was filled with quiet chatter, and I perked up when Blaise mentioned something about the quidditch team. Draco threw me a warning glance, that I already had too much on my plate but I ignored him completely. I had only played some with Draco in the backyard, but I wanted to join the team, and something told me it would help me fit in a lot more at the school and seem less evil- although I couldn’t lie to myself.

“I think I’m going to try out,” I concluded, glancing at Draco. “I’ll help me fit in more.” I could see him considered it before a brief, curt nod. He was going to argue with me, he knew I would not budge if the decision was made. Draco and I would need each other very much the next few months, there was no room for error and no room for bickering.

Before long, glittering gold lights came into view and I gazed upward, breath catching in my chest at the sight in front of me. The castle stood tall and prestigious, beautiful in the star lit sky. The gold glow of windows made it appear that fireflies were hovering in the far off night, beautiful in more ways than I could describe. This was absolutely a place of magic, even a simple muggle could have guessed at that much.

I watched the school the entire way to the castle steps, amazed at the beauty of something so old, so large. Looking around, a thought crossed my mind. I would be going to school with mudbloods. The thought was sickening, because although I was half-blood, at least both my parents were wizards. Not much of ones, as it was.

Our transportation finally stopped at the steps that led up to two huge, ominous wooden doors that led into the school. All students began walking up the steps, greeting each other and walking into the now opening doors with their house members. I walked up the steps behind Draco, not sure where to go. We walked into what looked like a large hall. Straight ahead double doors opened to a huge dining hall large enough to fit hundreds of students. People filed into the hall and to their tables. There were also stairs on either side of the hall with even more halls and stairs, but I figured I should fallow Draco.

Draco turned to me. “Wait here,” he said. “Professor McGonagall will see you and give you an introduction with the first years and then you will be sorted. There she is now.” I turned to see a severe looking woman walking our way, green robes billowing behind her and a witches hat atop her head, complete with a long green feather.
“Good luck,” Draco whispered, giving me the smallest of smiles before he turned and fallowed the rest of the students.
“Are you… her?” The woman asked from behind me. I turned to look at her. she looked at me with an unreadable expression, but I knew she was not happy.
“Yes,” I said smugly. “I’m Reagan Potter.”
*
3rd person

Harry, Rom and Hermione all sat in the Great Hall, talking quietly while they waited for the first years. Ginny was frowning at hair and wiping his bloody noise with a paper towel. They were often used to Harry entering a room with blood on him and they were silently thankful that this time it was his own blood and not someone elses like it so often was.

Everyone at the Gryffindor table quietly whispered about the new girl on the train and whether she must be a new death eater if she was hanging out with the likes of Draco Malfoy. Harry couldn’t help but tune out the conversation for the thoughts buzzing around his head about the girl were far more distracting. Somehow he felt as if he knew her, and that if he got up and began walking right now that he could find her easly. He scared burned slightly- not painfully, but rather like an itch of some sort.

“Harry?” Hermione grabbed his attention. As was often, she wore a wary expression when addressing him. It was becoming increasingly often that Harry was spacing out completely and she was worried about the scar and it’s connection to Voldemort.
“Is it your scar?” she asked, examining his face carefully.
“No. I was just thinking about who the new girl could be.”
His friend shifted uncomfortably like she wanted to say something. Instead Ron did, “Well I think she looks a lot like you mate. A bit freaky if you ask me.”
“I noticed the same thing.” Something about Hermiones voice made Harry glance at her but she looked away quickly as the doors to the great hall opened, first years clustering in like terrified mice.

Dumbledore quickly went over a few things and welcomed them in the Hogwarts song, everyone in the great hall half heartedly singing along. He also noted that Professor Slughorn would be taking over potions class as Snape would be taking over defense against the dark arts. The slytherin table cheered raucously at that.

One by one first years went up and became part of a house. Gryffindor had only a few new first years, slytherin has usual gained the most. Harry watched with disinterest when he spotted the same girl again. She stood very still anticipation on her face and slowly she began to smirk. Her name must be coming up, Harry figured for she looked excited. something went horribly wrong in his gut and in the next moment his heart stopped beating entirely.

“Reagan Potter,” Professor McGonagall called in a shaking voice, silencing the entire great hall, something that had never been truly done before save for the announcement of Cedric Diggory’s death. The girl moved forward without hesitation, despite the eyes that stared in horror, fear, amazement and awe. No one dared to breath at the Gryffindor table, nor could anyone bring themselves to look at Harry. They all knew her to be dead.

Harry went rigid in his seat, nearly passing out from the shock. His sister was alive. He had a family member. In that moment he didn’t care that she had shown up with a Malfoy, all he cared about was that he was no longer alone, no longer had to suffer the unbearable pain of being the only one since the death of his god father. Harry’s eyes burned, near to tears as his sister walked up the steps and sat on the stool. Her eyes found his and his breath caught again, for they were very much like his own and his mothers. But the moment that she began to smile at him, he knew something was wrong, for it was no smile. It was a sneer, and something dark glittered in her eyes.

“Slyhterin!” the hat called out loudly. No one moved. No one clapped. No one did anything, but watch the girl stand up and look over them all with such a powerful gaze that chills went palpably through the room. still no one moved or said anything.
As if time had finally begun again, Harry’s gaze went black and he felt himself fall backwards into a darkness that he could not save himself from this time.