Status: FoREVer<3

In the Beginning

Chapter 1

Zack knew that he didn’t like the guy from the first moment he laid eyes on him. His cocky demeanor, the look on his face that screamed ‘I’m so much better than you.’ The way he was so nonchalant about everything, just to name a few of the things. But the thing that bothered him the most was that when Jimmy joined the band was how he was shoved even more into the background. Maybe he was being melodramatic, but that just how he feels, and he’s stubborn, goddamn it!

It was bad enough when he was demoted to rhythm when Brian (or ‘Synyster,’ as he demanded to be called) showed up, but it really pissed him off when he was shoved to the side for someone who didn’t even play the same instrument as him. That’s why, he thinks, that he was able to look past his anger for Brian and allow them to be friends and not Jimmy. That’s why he hates Jimmy.

He hates Jimmy.

So he’s not sure how he ended up in this situation.

“I’m pregnant.”

Everyone froze and turned to look at him, for he had just blurted it out in the middle of band practice, in the middle of the garage. He had to get it out, it had been eating away at his thoughts for the past week and he couldn’t tell his parents.

“Did you seriously just say that, or am I hearing things?” Matt asks.

“I am being serious here, I’m pregnant and I just thought that all of you should know.”

An awkward silence fell over the garage for a long while and it was Brian to break it, “Do you, um, know who’s it is?”

“Yeah, is it someone that we know?” Matt asked.

“Yes.”

“Are you planning on tell us any time soon, or are you just going to keep making us play 20 questions?”

Zack rolled his eyes, but he knew that he’d have to tell them, “It’s Jimmy’s.”
That caught Jimmy’s attention, who had been sitting at his drum set, bored, twirling his drumsticks with his fingers. He turned his body towards that rest of the band and stared at Zacky for a long second, “Mine?” He asked disbelievingly.

“Yes, I do believe that is what I said.” Zack stared straight back at him.
“When? How do you even know it’s mine?” He said, pointing an accusatory drumstick at him.

“At Val’s birthday party, we were both really drunk, I guess, since it seems that neither of us remembers having sex together. I woke up before you, that’s the only reason I know we did it.”

“But that doesn’t mean it’s mine though, you sleep with a lot of people!”
“I’m not a slut, Jimmy! You’re the only person I’ve slept with in the past, like, five months, I know it’s yours!” Zack yelled offended.

“So? What do you expect me to do about it?”

Zack stared at Jimmy, incredulous, “I don’t expect you to do anything; it would just be nice if you could be, at least, a little considerate here! I didn’t get pregnant on my own and I don’t see it taking anything out on your body!” He yelled.

Brian stared at Zack for a little then giggled, as hard as he tried not to. His attention temporarily diverted from Jimmy, Zack snapped his glare to Brian, “And what? What could possibly be funny Brian?”

It was hard to come out with the answer when he was so sure his head would be missing as soon as he got it out, but he could tell Zack wasn’t going to let up until he got his answer. He glanced around at the guys hoping to get some help, but to no avail. He gave Jimmy a pleading look, but Jimmy shook his head, glad to get Zack’s attention off of himself, “Well, its, just you know, you could get yourself pregnant, I mean, you have all the proper equipment.”

Zack could not believe what he was hearing. “Okay, first of all, no I could not get myself pregnant. Did you ever pay attention in health class? Brian shook his head, “Didn’t think so, and second of all, Jimmy,” His attention back to the main problem at hand, “I would like you to know that I don’t need you to be there for me if you don’t want to be. I can take care of this myself.”

“Okay, that’s- yeah, I’d like that.” Jimmy said awkwardly, knowing that Zack could just be testing him. If not though, this was a blessing. No matter how much he hated to admit it, he was not ready for the responsibility. Zack stared at him, but didn’t say anything, just diverted his gaze to the floor.

“Can we get back to practice now? This is getting really uncomfortable.” Matt, the bassist, and the ever inconsiderate one asked.

“Uncomfortable? You think this is uncomfortable? I could make it really uncomfortable and tell you about how I figured out that I was pregnant, and tell you about all the discomfort being pregnant is causing me so far.” Zack snapped back, “Now, I think that would be way more uncomfortable than this, and anyway I’m going home.”

He yanked off his guitar and stuffed it back in its case, and he would have made a clean get away if the sudden movements hadn’t made him nauseous. He dropped the guitar, ignoring the loud clank that it made, and tried to find a suitable place to puke. Unfortunately, there were none that he would be able to make it to in time, so he had no choice but to throw up where he was standing and all over the ignorant bassist.

Everyone froze and stared at the puke covered bassist and Zack, who was covering his mouth with his hands. “I think that this is a lot more uncomfortable than anything that was said before.” He managed to get out.

-------

After the whole incident, they had decided to call practice to an end. Zack hitched a ride home with Matt, after he had insisted that Zack was in no condition to be walking home. The ride was quite except for the soft music in the background that made the awkwardness bearable. When they arrived, Matt stopped in front of the drive way and parked. Silence then washed over them, intensifying the awkwardness tenfold.

Zack sighed, “Thanks for the ride home.” Then he started to get out of the car and out of the silence, but Matt stopped him, “Zack- can we just talk for a minute?”

Zack sat back in the car, knowing that Matt would have to have a talk with him sooner or later, no matter how much he wanted to avoid it. “Sure.”

“You tell your parents yet?”

Zack looked down at his lap, trying to avoid Matt’s gaze. “No.” He mumbled, and Matt nodded. There was more silence as Matt thought of what to say next.

“So, you slept with Jimmy.”

“Yes, I thought me saying that Jimmy got me pregnant pretty much implied that we slept together.” Zack sighed, wondering where this conversation was even going.

“How do you feel about that?”

“If this is your attempt at comforting me, you’re failing miserably.” Matt could sense that Zack was getting edgy.

“I saw how you looked when Jimmy turned you down.” Zack turned to look at Matt.

“So? What about it? Can I not get upset when the father of my child turns down the opportunity to be a father?” Zack sniffed, he was getting all emotional and he didn’t know why. It’s not like he even liked Jimmy, Zack reasoned.

“Well, did you want him to help with this?” He gestured to Zack’s midsection awkwardly.

“No.” Zack replied stubbornly.

“Then why are you so upset?”

Zack sniffed again, cursing that it was obvious that he was on the verge of tears. He honestly didn’t know why he was so upset, so he went for an excuse, “I’m pregnant, don’t pregnant people always get randomly emotional?”

Matt sighed, “Look, if you want Jimmy to help you with the kid, all you have to do is tell him and I’m sure he’ll come around.” He reached over and tugged Zack close to him, and tried to sooth the boy.

“I don’t want his help, I hate him.” Zack mumbled into Matt’s shoulder.

“What, no you don’t.”

“Yes I do!” Zack cried.

Matt continued to rub his back, “Well, then tell me why you’re so upset, I hate seeing you like this.”

Zack sat up and wiped at his eyes in attempts to stop the tears, and let out a shaky breath, “It’s just, I’m pregnant, I’m fifteen, I slept with someone I don’t like, and my parents are going to kill me.” A few more tears escaped, and he hurried to wipe them away.

Matt was sure that was not the whole truth, but he let it go for the time being, “I’m sure they’re not, and as for the rest of the stuff we just got to deal with. Got to take the consequences for your actions, as a wise older friend would say. Role with the punches, and what not.” Matt said smiling, trying to lighten the mood, “And just know that no matter what happens, you can always count on me. I’ll always be there for you.”

Zack smiled back slightly, “Thanks Matt.”

“Now off with you,” Matt jokingly pushed Zack away, “I need to go spit and blow shit up to regain some of my manliness that was lost in this chick-flick moment.” They both laughed, and Zacky moved to get out of the car, “Hey, I’ll see you tomorrow at school.” Zack nodded in reply and shut the car.

Matt sat and watched Zack as he made his way into the house. He sighed, things were going to be hard now, he could just tell. He could only hope that it didn’t tear apart the band or Zack, but he stopped himself before he let himself think about that. When he was sure Zack was safely in his house he started his car and drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked! Oh, and comments make me happy.