Status: Updates as soon as possible.

Rainbow Skies Turrned Gray

Prologue

I huddled him into my chest, making sure no one could see that it was a baby I was carrying. My face, like many others, was stained with dirt, blood, and tears. Alone, I ran as fast as I could to the docks. Juvin, the city’s only boat engineer, would get me across the lakes. I saw his tiny shack-like home from the top of the hill. Too steep, I thought. I took off my thin jacket and wrapped it around the body of my infant brother. My feet went first, to help guide my body, so I could protect him from the flying dirt. The hill was getting farther behind me as I came closer to his home. Dirt trapped inside my toenails, underwear, and all the unmentionables were beyond discomforting, but it wouldn’t stop me from getting my precious baby brother to safety.

My free hand balled into a fist and pound against his semi-thin door. It seemed like an eternity for him to open the door. He opened the door with my hand still in the air and gave me a very concerned look and quickly let me in. He didn’t look as bad as all the people in the city, but he certainly didn’t look like his usual upbeat self.

“Juvin, you have to help me!” I frantically clutched on to my brother. “You have to help me get Kieran across the lakes, please!”

I fell to my knees in tears. I couldn’t take it. They took my parents away from me and half the city too. They wouldn’t rest until every one of us was dead and gone. He grabbed my arm and stood me back up. His eyes were filled with sadness and compassion. He knew. Nodding, he led me to one of his boats. It was his fastest boat. He took me on for a ride on it last summer. He held Kieran while I climbed in then I took him back and held him in my lap. Juvin roared the boat to life that started my half-asleep brother.

Clutching him to my body, I stared back at the destroyed city I used to call my home. They wouldn’t rest until everyone was dead, but he would be safe soon, safe from all the horrors when we get the Sacred Lands. The only place I knew to take him. It was too late for everyone else, but he could be saved from the attack and I would make sure that he was.

I opened my eyes as we arrived onto land. Unknowingly, I’d drifted into a slight slumber. The Underworld was no longer in sight. I glanced at Juvin who was making sure the boat wouldn’t leave the shore, paying no mind to me. Trying to stand helped me realize how stiff my body was - especially my legs – from the dried blood and dirt. Standing up was painful. By the time I was fully standing, Juvin was standing along side the boat ready to hold on to baby Kieran and help me out of the boat.

Kieran moved restlessly as I handed him up to Juvin and climbed out. Luckily he was still sleeping when I took him back in my arms. Climbing up hills was the hardest part with Kieran in my hands, but going down them most certainly was the scariest. It’s hard to maintain control of your body and the speed you’re sliding down when you also have to make sure the baby in your arms doesn’t get hurt. After the third hill we made it to an area with a few cottages, unsure of how many, and I picked the closest one to place baby Kieran on the door mat. I laid him down gently; still wrapped up in his dirt covered blanket and made sure he couldn’t wiggle too much and roll out of it. Searching my pockets, I found the note I had written to which ever family would keep him. And hopefully, it is the one who live in the cottage where he lay in front of. Most people of the Sacred Lands couldn’t read Demonic scripts, but maybe by chance someone would. I gave Kieran my last kiss goodbye and best farewells, wishing him the best life in the Sacred Lands. Leaving him was the hardest thing I’d ever have to do.

“Hurry up, and I’ll catch up with you.” Juvin whispered.

He knocked on the wooden door and made a run for it. He wasn’t stiff like I, or in near as much pain, so he caught up to me in no time and helped me back over the hills so we wouldn’t get caught. Kieran is young and innocent; hopefully, he wouldn’t be murdered in the Sacred Lands like we would if we were caught here, though it wouldn’t make a difference, if we weren’t leaving Kieran here to be safe. Either way, we are killed but at least if we aren’t killed with him around, he may have a chance to live safely in the Sacred Lands.

We made it to the boat safely and quickly prepared for our departure. Uncontrollable tears fell from my eyes. The clear tears were more noticeable against my dirt and blood stained face than they would normally be. I was hardly aware of Juvin driving the boat with the monstrous roar. My focus was on the lands of which my baby brother was now a part of. I couldn’t help but wonder what would happen to him. Not that it would matter as soon as we made it back to the Underworld.