‹ Prequel: Won't Turn Out Right
Status: Finished! Thanks for reading!

Les Oiseaux de Mauvaise Augure

In The Closet

Should I be worried?

"Duh."

But what do I do?

"Maybe you should get out of California."

But, my father's here. I can't just up and leave him.

"...Why not?"

Because he's my fucking father. Don't be an asshole.

"Well, it's not like he's going anywhere."

But what about when he wakes up? He'll wake up alone and confused. And, I'll be in some other state huddled in a corner with a nightlight and a blankie hoping that the boogie man doesn't find me and eat me and I'll be alone and afraid and not prepared for the worst and ready to escape this world because I'm so afraid and alone.

"That's why you can't leave?"

Yes.


I sped home, ignoring the speed limit, only stopping for lights, and slowing down for signs. I parked my car and ran into the building. I decided to start taking the bus for the next few weeks.

Maybe, that'll keep me safer. I'll go to work and come home and that's it. I won't leave the house except for work and hospital visits.

"Do you really think that'll help?"

You don't?

"If they want to find you, they won't be looking for a car, bumble bee. They'll be looking for
you. It won't matter what form of transportation you're using."

I shuddered, pushing Jimmy's voice to the back of my mind. I didn't want to hear it. I just wanted to keep my thoughts a little more hopeful.

Ha. Hope.

I power-walked to my apartment door, unlocking it, stepping inside, and nearly slamming it shut behind me. I locked all of the extra locks, satisfied with the loud clicks and grinding metal. I put a hand to my forehead, starting to feel lightheaded. So much adrenaline and anxiety. I ran my hands through my short hair, tugging in frustration.

It was cold in my apartment again. I groaned in frustration and looked at the thermostat. It was at fifty five degrees Fahrenheit. I scrunched my eyebrows together, squinting at the dial, confused.

"What the fuck?" I muttered under my breath. A chill went down my spine and I shuddered harshly. I tapped lightly at the dial and tried to set it to a higher temperature. The little arrow seemed to stay in place so I let my hands drop to my sides. My stomach churned with uneasiness. I didn't want to be alone.

I don't want to be alone. Too bad.

"Call Joey."

No.

"Visit your father."

Too far away.

"You complain too much, Charity. You've got me, at least."

Gee, thank God. I don't know what I'd do without your unnecessary commentary. Why don't you go away?

"We talked about this already. I can't."

But, why not?

"It's your confidence. It's your past. It's your faith. A misbalance and a series of unfortunate events."

Don't be stupid.

"You're stupid."


-*-

She was just standing there. She had a dumb, glazed-over look in her eyes. Synyster could see her through the horizontal panals on the door. He rolled his eyes.

He brushed a coat arm off his shoulder and tried to adjust his body to a more comfortable position. As silently as possible. He accidentally kicked over a shoe, and a small thud could be heard. Synyster paused, seeing if she would turn, but she didn't. He raised an eyebrow.

What the fuck is wrong with her?

He hoped she wouldn't find him. At least, not yet. They weren't quite ready for her yet. He wasn't there for her. He was there for set-up. He had put little video cameras in areas of her house, and he wasn't expecting her to come home for at least another hour. Gerard was supposed to have kept her busy. He only installed half of the cameras that he'd brought.

He almost laughed at her as she stared at the thermometer. She didn't think it was weird that it was set to a different temperature than how she left it? He wondered what she was thinking about. She looked so worried and dumb.

Just standing there with her eyebrows scrunched up and her lips pursed. She just stared.

And, she didn't hear him.

And, that was good.

It was a couple quiet minutes before she finally turned around slowly, and walked into her bedroom. He heard drawers open and clothes thrown to the floor. Synyster smirked and resisted the sudden urge to make his presence known. He dropped his smile, however, when he realized that he hadn't been able to set up a camera in her bedroom in time. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

I'll have to come back again tomorrow.

But, they didn't have that much time. Each day brought the fear of being recognized. They knew they had to get out of California, and quick. Especially since Zacky broke out. Their pictures were hanging in every post office and 7-11 on the West Coast. With all the-

She walked back out of her bedroom, stretching and yawning. She sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Synyster let his body drop in exasperation, slapping his palm to his forehead silently.

I'm going to have to wait here all night. Aren't I?

With all the work they'd been doing- kicking up dirt and old business and tying up loose ends. They knew their names were muttered during the day and whispered in the night. Civilians and crooks alike. Everyone knew to take them seriously.

Charity yawned loudly again, stretching her body out onto the couch. Synyster bit the inside of his cheek and started to ball his hands up tightly, trying to resist the incredible urge to hold her down on the couch and either beat or fuck her senseless. He shifted uncomfortably in the closet as it suddenly started to close in on him. He closed his eyes and breathed heavily.

Keep it together, Brian. Keep it together.

He unclenched his fists.

It was about ten minutes before he heard her start to snore lightly. He smirked. He cracked the door open, sticking his head out and peering as far as he could see over the top of the couch. Charity appeared to be completely asleep, huddling in the cold. He stepped fully out of the closet, stretching and cracking his back and neck. His whole body suddenly felt tired.

He licked his lips, walking over to the couch. He kneeled down in front of her sleeping form.

No, dumbass, get out.

He brushed a piece of hair out of her face, and she shifted slightly, not waking. Synyster's heart beat a little faster, watching her breathe silently and peacefully. He wanted to grab her neck and choke her. He bit his lip hard, finally standing up. He smirked and slowly turned off all her lights and the TV.

So, let's fuck with her. Just for a little while.

He held his smirk as he flicked the hallway light off. The room was engulfed in dark. The urge to hide in the dark, waiting for her to wake up, fell over him. It nearly pulled him away from the door and back into her apartment. He licked his lips one last time and yanked the door open. He shut it behind him. He didn't lock it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you SOSOSOSO much to EVERYONE who commented!! They made me so excited to update this week. I seriously couldn't wait. Thanks to TheGoodLlama, Hey It's Frankie, MellyMelMel, Anvampfreak, and jskars (<<GOOD LUCK on Thursday! You'll do great)! So much LOVE!
Oh, and as a sidenote, everyone should go see Fright Night. It was fabulous. Just saying : )
If you guys could check out a new one-shot I wrote, I would appreciate it so much. I wrote it for a contest, and no one has given me any feedback yet. I Never Wanted To Hear. It's like 2000 words, so it's a little lengthy, but I thought it was a good read.... Please let me know what you think!
I hope you guys liked this chapter! I want just as many comments this week <3