‹ Prequel: Won't Turn Out Right
Status: Finished! Thanks for reading!

Les Oiseaux de Mauvaise Augure

God Bless Those Famous Last Words

Shadows left Zacky with the hired help. Jared, Jerry, whatever. Zacky couldn't remember.

He sized Zacky up with a couple glances and Zacky did the same. The man smiled, not letting it reach his eyes, and reached out a hand.

"Gerard." What a stupid name. Zacky shook his hand roughly, holding it tightly.

"Vengeance." Gerard threw his hand down, scowling.

"The fuck kind of a name is Vengeance?" Zacky smirked.

"It's better than Gerard." Both of their fists tightened.

"Shadows told me about you. You're the little weasel who let that bitch get away. You're insane." Zacky gritted his teeth together, steeping closer.

"Say that again and you'll see just how insane I am." Gerard stepped closer too.

"You're trying to threaten me? Look, you little lunatic, you better learn some fucking manners. You give me just as much respect as you give Shadows, if not more. I am so much higher up on the food chain than you are that you should fear my very name. If you know what's fucking good for you, you'll stay out of my fucking way." Zacky rolled his eyes.

"Ha, respect. You are from Jersey." Gerard punched him hard, breaking his nose. As Zacky recoiled, Gerard punched him again in the stomach and the temple. Zacky fell to the ground, putting his arms up to shield himself. Gerard kicked him in the stomach again.

"Look, freak," he said shortly. "You might be crazy, but I am heartless. And, now," he started, leaning down closer to Zacky. "Now I don't like you. You might be angry, but I am violent. And, Shadows isn't here to protect you." Gerard kicked Zacky's arms away and started punching his face again. They both heard the door open, and Gerard saw someone standing there out of the corner of his eye. He didn't stop hitting Zacky, though, until the figure laughed.

"Glad you two are getting along. I need you two to do me a favor. Plans have changed." Gerard was breathing heavily. He stood up slowly. His hands were covered in Zacky's blood. He wiped them on his black jeans.

"What, Shadows?" he asked slowly, feeling a little bit calmer. Zacky was laying on the floor, breathing hard. His face was covered in blood. His nose was broken, and his lip and eyebrow were split open. His eyes and cheeks were black and blue. He groaned, cursing Shadows silently.

"We can't wait any longer. We've got to move ahead a step or two. Tonight."

-*-

It took a couple hours to get Joey to fall asleep, but it happened. And, I managed to keep a couple lights on as well without seeming too weird. I was sitting with him on the couch still. The sun was completely gone. I was wide awake.

"Well, you lost your mind quite literally-"

Did you hear?

"Hear what?"

I told him about you assholes and he
apologized. Can you believe it?

"What a pansy."

He is not!

"Okay, how about a wuss? Pussy? Wimp? Do those work?"

He is more of a man than you ever were.

"How would you know? You haven't fucked him yet, have you?"

Listen, asshole, what is your deal? What, are you jealous or something?

"Of course not."

I don't believe you. I think you're jealous.

"I am not jealous. How can you speak so highly of this man when you've only known him for less than a week?"

We understand each other.

"You didn't even tell him why you had a break down a couple of days ago."

Well, if I told him that, I would have to tell him that Vengeance broke out. And then I would have to tell him that it was Vengeance who killed his sister. And then he would hate me and shun me and abandon me. And I can't have that.

"You're so unstable."

I am not.

"But, you really are. And, you're so confused and... vulnerable. You've been so neglected that you're turning to this stranger for-"

Stop trying to analyze everything!

"Stop trying to ignore everything!"

I'm not ignoring anything!

"You're too naive. Too gullible. Too-"

Stop telling me what I am and what I'm doing. You don't know anything.

"I
am you. You may call me Jimmy, but I am the side of you that looks at both sides. I assess every choice you make- right or wrong. I am the side of you that sees everything and ignores nothing. You see very little and only hear what you want. I am the voice that will make you question. That disagrees with you and helps you make the right choice."

You haven't helped me.

"Says you."

I have to get home.

"No. Stay here with him."

But, I have to get home.

"Why? What's waiting for you at home? A cold room and a couple of lamps? Stay here with him."

Make up your goddamn mind. Do you like him or not?

"Do
you like him?"

I... I don't know.

"EH! Wrong answer."

Well, what the hell do you want me to say?

"The truth."

I don't know if I like him or not.

"That's not true."


I looked at Joey, my eyes swollen and my breathing still a little heavy from crying. My hand was still in his.

Maybe...

"Yes?"

Maybe I like him.

"Like him? Or..."

I think I lo-


The sound of the doorbell rang out suddenly. It was from a room or two over. I gasped in surprise and Joey woke up, sitting straight up. His hand left mine.

"I'll get it. Stay here," he said, looking at me quickly. "I'm sure it's nothing." I stared at him with wide eyes, speechless. Everything I wanted to say was lost in my throat. I could barely breathe. My legs weren't working. My mouth wasn't working. I could barely think straight. "I'll be right back."

Before I could stop him he walked off into the next room.

I heard the door open.

And, I heard a thud.

And then silence.

And then footsteps.
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUUUUN. And, now do you get why I have this whole Jimmy character, too? And why he's so weird and know-it-all and weird...
Okay. Here's the deal. I have half of chapters 20, 21, and 23 written (I have nothing of 22 written...). I kind of know what's going to happen. I just don't know how to write it. It's writer's block time. I'm trying very hard to balance school and friends and writing and writing is not my top priority. Especially now that my head has started to clear up a tiny bit now that I've been forced into a schedule and amongst other human beings to keep me some what sane.
So, long story short....
I don't know if I will be able to update next week. I am going to try to kick it into high fucking gear for you guys. I will try to get chapter 20 written by next Friday/Saturday/Sunday. If it isn't up by the end of the weekend, I hope you guys understand. I'm really really sorry about this guys!
Thank you so much to Hey It's Frankie, Anvampfreak, and MellyMelMel for commenting!!!
I love you all and I hope to see you next week. Or at least some time soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding!