‹ Prequel: Won't Turn Out Right
Status: Finished! Thanks for reading!

Les Oiseaux de Mauvaise Augure

Calling Mister Cross... Again

I didn't sleep that night. Not one bit.

Every light was on. I sat in the living room with the TV on, and stayed awake with the help of about twenty cups of coffee. Every noise made me jump. I was on edge the whole night, my heart barely able to keep up with my nerves. I kept seeing shadows that weren't really there on all the walls.

A wreck. I was a wreck.

No, oh, no. Here it comes. Here we go.

Six, five, four, kick down the door.

What a fantastic view. This figure of knowledge, of peace and love, and har-money.

That's it. I'm done. I've had my fun.

Three, two, one, HE'S GOT A GUN!


I had a couple break-downs as the night progressed. My cheeks were itchy from the dried-up salty tears. My throat and skin were dry, and I shook like a leaf. I fiddled with my cell phone, building up the courage to call Joey. It was now about an hour or so before I would normally leave for work. I had to call in, whether he fired me or not- it didn't matter. I just couldn't leave this apartment.

I started dialing, my hands shaking almost violently.

WE GOTTA PAINT IT ALL RED! PAINT IT RED! KATCH 'EM KILL 'EM!

"Hello?" Joey's bright voice made my heart skip a beat.

"J-Joey?" I accidentally stuttered as my voice croaked and cracked.

Oh, those green eyes, blind eyes. Foolish. Foolish and blind, girl.

"Whoa, Anna, you sound different. Is something wrong? What's wrong?" I pushed down on my temple with my hand, pressing hard. Black dots started to cloud my vision.

"I have just called to s-say- to say I can't make it to work today."

"Okay. Okay, Anna. What's wrong?" His voice started to sound a little worried.

"I can't come to work today."

"But, what's wrong?"

"I can't come today."

"Where do you live? Do you want me to come over?" His voice held a new tone- panicky.

"I... what?"

"Is there something I can do?"

Nothing. Nothing you can do. Nothing at all.

Nope, nope, nope. Nothing. Where are my eyes?


"I don't think so."

"Just give me your address. I'll come right over."

Nope. Can't trust him. Can't trust him. Green eyes. MY HANDS ARE GONE!

"It's okay."

"I insist. Really." I paused.

"Okay."

You'll regret this. Just another regret.

Not for the faint of heart. Just another regret.

PAINT IT RED!


"I'll be right over."

-*-

He set a cup of tea down in front of me. I didn't reach for it right away. He sat down on the other side of the coffee table, legs criss-crossed on the floor. I licked my lips, flickering my eyes from away from him and to the clock on the wall.

"Why'd you come?" I still didn't look at him, but I could see him raise his shoulders out of the corner of my eye.

"A friend in need." My eye twitched.

"I met you yesterday." He shrugged again.

"Doesn't matter." I looked down at my hands.

"You don't think that's suspicious?"

Shut up.

"But, it's wierd."

He's a good person.

"He's-"


"Do you want to talk about it?" I finally looked up, blushing as my eyes met his.

"About what?" He smiled lightly.

"Maybe later?" I licked my lips again.

"You'll regret it, Charity."

No.

"Men don't think like this."

Oh yeah? How would you know? You were hardly a man.

"Trust me."

I don't.


"Do you want to watch a movie?" My heart fluttered. I picked up my tea quickly, gulping it down. It was still hot and it scorched my mouth and throat. I set it back on the table.

"I don't have any good movies to watch. I kind of like comedies, but I hate horror and action. Drama sucks too. There aren't any good movies out now." I couldn't stop my mouth from moving. I didn't know how to shut up. He chuckled. "I'm more into old movies. Black and white. Shitty graphics. Hate gore. Hate it. I'd prefer suspense, if anything. But, you know, I hate horror. So-"

"If you pick out something, I'll watch it with you." My throat went dry. The cabinet was behind him, under the TV. I lifted up a shaky hand to point it out.

"There's a bunch under the TV." He smiled.

"Great." He scooted over with the notion I would join him. I swallowed.

"Freeaaak."

I just can't.

"He's being nice."

I thought you said-

"Go sit next to the poor bastard."


I stood up slowly, walking even slower over to him. He had opened the cabinet and was searching through it. I sat down next to him, and could feel warmth radiating from him. I didn't realize how cold I was. I reached a hand in next to his, picking up the first thing I touched. I looked at it. It was a pirated copy of some Marx Brothers movie that my father had made when I was a teenager. Joey looked over, his face brightening.

"'A Night At The Opera'! You like the Marx Brothers?" I gave him a tiny nod, avoiding his eyes.

I hated the Marx Brothers.

I used to watch them with Dad because he liked them. I never really understood their jokes.

"Great! That'll make you feel better for sure!" He took the DVD from and popped it into the player. "You go sit, I'll make us some popcorn." I nodded again. He helped me up, and my whole body nearly went numb. I waddled back to the couch and sat down, staring at the TV.

This is your fault.

"Don't blame me. You picked up the DVD, and you lied."

You told me to go over there.

"So?"


The house filled with the scent of hot popcorn after a couple minutes, and Joey came back with a big bowl. I blushed. We were sharing a bowl.

"You freak out over the stupidest shit."

I have every right to be embarrassed and nervous.

"Oh, shut up. No you don't."


"Ready?" He tossed a blanket over the two of us. He sat almost touching me, and my blush grew hotter.

Oh. My God.

I could hear Jimmy snickering in the back of my head.

For the whole movie, I only laughed when Joey did. I still didn't get their jokes.

But, again... I started to feel better.

About half way through the movie, my eyes started to droop, and my heart started to slow. My head lulled to the side, and I fell fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lol, that's actually probably how I would react around a gorgeous guy in my house. I see a lot of myself in CharityAnd, just for the record, I adore the Marx Brothers ^_^
Thank you so much to all my little lovelies who commented on the last chapter! RetroDanceFreak, Hey It's Frankie, jskars, and Tired of The Lying. I absolutely love reading your comments!!!
Here is the album of characters in case you guys missed it last time.
Thank you so much for reading guys!!! Comments are love <3 Subscribe if you like it!